WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Off Topic > Computers and The Internet

Computers and The Internet This is the place to ask questions and discuss the complex world of computer and internet issues.

WINDOWS 10 Advice Please

Old 25-09-15, 16:55

Thanks Dave - I've been using W8 on Margaret's laptop this week whilst PC was in for a "service". I don't like it at all.
Old 22-10-15, 23:57

I'm an insider with Win 10 and now running evaluation copy 10565. I made a post quite a few weeks ago listing the minor problems I encounted. However it is now running extremely well and I would recommend that you upgrade, if not now do it before you have to pay for it. I've upgraded two laptops and one desktop for two PC illiterate users one of them with learning difficulties and they are more than happy with the upgrade.
Win 10 is really nothing like Win 8 which I tried for a few days before binning it and as for the start menu well you can do various things as the attached photo shows.
I've been a big fan of Win 7, so what I did was clone my Win7 to another hard drive and update the cloned version to Win 10. I now use Win 10 probably 90% of the time, but at the moment save any work to a dedicated drive which can be accessed by both Win 7 and Win 10. I guess that shows I'm not totally committed to Win 10 just yet, but almost.
I hated the Win 8 start menu, even with classic shell, but with Win 10 you can change it quite easily as the photo shows.

I would advise that if you are eligible for the free upgrade to do so and if neccessary do the same as I did and do it on a cloned version. Oh and by the way, just in case you are not aware you can download it to DVD fromhttp://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/windows-10-upgrade and install at you leisure

Harry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Deasktop.jpg (378.6 KB, 15 views)
Old 23-10-15, 09:19

Thanks Harry. I can understand that desktop. {Win 8 on Margaret's laptop drives me to distraction}. I think I'll have a go when I get a few hours straight of free time. Off the subject but I still think that Vulcan shot is an absolute beauty.
Old 23-10-15, 09:31

Peter to get the desktop as in the photo you just delete the tiles as they are just duplicates.
Many thanks for the comment on the Vulcan. As you've probably guessed from my desktop it's a favourite of mine.

Harry
Old 26-10-15, 10:27

Default Oh! Calamity! Win10 update

Oh! Calamity! Installed Win10 late Saturday and by Sunday evening had rolled back to Win7. I simply could not install graphics (NVidia Ge-Force) drivers. Code 43 was the most consistent response.. Even when I cleared out the Registry and did a complete new instal. Problems compounded by occasional blank screen requiring crash-restart, Screen sometimes like an obscured window with dragging cursor (clearly driver conflicts) and re-start times measured in many minutes. I'll wait a while before I try that again.
Old 26-10-15, 10:29

Been reading reviews etc on Win 10, the free upgrade will be available to W7 & W* users for a year i.e until july 2016. Secondly if you install and dont like it it is quite easy to navigate to a section in settings to return to W7 or W8.
Its my friends issues of it not working properly with Lightroom 6 that worries me. He has had to go back to Lightroom 5 to get it working correctly.
Old 26-10-15, 12:45

I had one or two moments with Lightroom 6 with the earlier releases of Win 10, but it now works almost perfectly. The minor problem being on start-up were I get the message

'Server Busy' "This action cannot be completed because the other program is busy "Switch to the other program and correct the problem" below this message are the options 'Switch To' or 'Retry'

This is with no other program running, but clicking 'Retry' always solves the problem. A minor irritation, as Lightroom then runs perfectly.

Harry
Old 26-10-15, 17:03

Peter.
May I ask what graphics card you're using and how did you select the driver? The reason I ask, if you asked Nvidia to scan and select a suitable driver that may have been your problem. I did this initially and finished up with problems.
I'm using a Geoforce 640 and to get drivers that worked OK on my 64 bit version of Win 10 I went to Nvidia selected Drivers and did a manual search making sure I selected Win 10 64 bit as my OS. This gave me a different driver to the one suggested by the Nvidia scan, which I'm guessing was primarily a Win 7 driver.
As I mentioned previously I have a minor problem with Lightroom 6, but on doing a search many others also have this problem dating back from the early days of Lightroom on various version of Windows.

Harry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Nvidia.jpg (250.5 KB, 5 views)
Old 26-10-15, 21:54

Harry thanks for your interest and it's a GeForce GT430. I originally selected driver 353.62 dated 29.July from their site as I'd seen this recommended somewhere, can't remember where. When that didn't work I went with increasing desperation through a series of later drivers waiting lengthy periods for restarts only to find no improvement. (Tried comprehensive uninstalls within the registry). Mostly Windows ignored the card (Code 43) and ran the basic graphics but sometimes I got massive conflicts with horrible distorted and cursor stuttering results. I'll "bounce back" in a week or two, after a period of reflective contemplation, and look into the application of KB3073930.
It's the time everything takes that makes it such a pain.
Old 26-10-15, 23:46

Peter I've just checked the driver for your system and come up with Version 358-50, released 7th Oct. However there are two drivers one for 32 bit and one for 64 bit systems.
Agree with you that the upgrade path can be a bit of a pain. The main reason I have worked on a cloned version of Win 7.

Harry