WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Off Topic > Computers and The Internet

Computers and The Internet This is the place to ask questions and discuss the complex world of computer and internet issues.

PC vs Mac

Old 30-11-15, 18:46

Default PC vs Mac

Finally got fed up with my PC crashing so went out and bought a Mac all-in-one.

For PC users considering a similar move let me put it like this: it's like going from a cheap Ford to an Audi. However, it's as if the Audi comes with canvas deck chairs instead of seats, the spare wheel is stored on the back seat, the hand-brake is located in the boot, and there are a limited number of petrol stations where you can fill up. The Audi feels and looks reliable and you know that you'll get to where you're going quickly and safely, but you also know that you won't enjoy the journey.

Hope that this doesn't upset too many Mac users.
Old 01-12-15, 00:09

Not quite sure on your reply there Mike, does that mean if your PC had been more reliable you would never have gone down the Mac route? or does it just mean that the Mac will take some getting used to but when you do it will be the dogs nuts??
Old 01-12-15, 07:35

Hi Ade, If the PC had been reliable then I wouldn't have bothered changing. I might get used to the Mac, but it will always be poor to use.

Apple are proud of the unit's beautiful slim looks with its curved back and extremely thin edges. To maintain the thin edges, Apple haven't included a disc re-writer, co I've had to fork out extra for an external disc drive (this is on top of the £850.00 paid for the original unit). So now my table has an extra bit of clutter. The unit comes with four USB ports, a card reader, and headphone socket. But, again, to keep the unit's good looks, these are at the back of the machine. So, every time you need to plug or unplug something, the whole machine has to be turned around. All this just to maintain the thin edges. And here's the thing: most computer users that I know look at the front of the screen, not the side.

Included with the computer is a cordless mouse that ca be re-charged from the computer. However, the charging cord plugs into the underside of the mouse resulting in the mouse not being usable whilst re-charging.

The Windows Explorer in a PC can be opened run a number of times simultaneously. This means that it's possible to compare file and folder contents and transfer easily between them. The Mac equivalent ('Finder") does not allow this multiple viewing, making my work-flow more onerous. I really do hope that I've yet to learn that there is a way of opening multiple Finder views - it's driving me up the wall not to be able.

Two of my favourite pieces of software (free to download) is FastStone Image Viewer and ProgeCad (CADS programme). Unfortunately, they are not available for Macs.

Since writing my first post, I've tried restarting my old PC and it's sort of working (95%) and not as fast. If it keeps on working OK, I think that my grandchildren will be getting a Mac as a combined Christmas present.
Old 02-12-15, 08:54

Thanks for that, it always seems that pro's & the like use Mac's giving the impression they are superior, as you say they come with a hefty price tag & you seem to be stuck with the Apple way of doing things & apple only compatible hardware/software. I'll be sticking with my old laptop & windows 7 for the moment.
Old 02-12-15, 10:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ade G View Post
Thanks for that, it always seems that pro's & the like use Mac's giving the impression they are superior, as you say they come with a hefty price tag & you seem to be stuck with the Apple way of doing things & apple only compatible hardware/software. I'll be sticking with my old laptop & windows 7 for the moment.
Yep I think you have it in one. Nothing but a fashion icon. I remember the days when Apple nearly went bust. I think they stole the lead by signing a deal with the chip manufactures not to release multi-core processors to the PC market for 6 months when they switched from Motorola processors.

-----------------------------------------------------
Solar powered Box Brownie Mk2

Captain Sunshine, to be such a man as he, and walk so pure between the earth and the sea.

WPF Gallery
Birdforum Gallery
http://www.robertstocker.co.uk updated
Old 02-12-15, 10:59

First time I've felt proud of my "wonderful" Windows set up. Thanks Mike
Old 02-12-15, 18:00

Hi everyone, The old PC finally gave up the ghost, but not before I managed to copy the few files that I hadn't backed-up.

The good news with the Mac is that I found the way to open two Finders (the equivalent of Windows Explorer), so I can now transfer files easier. But it still doesn't alter my initial perceptions of the Mac.

Go Windows 7!!!
Old 06-12-15, 18:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdsnapper View Post
Hi Ade, If the PC had been reliable then I wouldn't have bothered changing. I might get used to the Mac, but it will always be poor to use.

Apple are proud of the unit's beautiful slim looks with its curved back and extremely thin edges. To maintain the thin edges, Apple haven't included a disc re-writer, co I've had to fork out extra for an external disc drive (this is on top of the £850.00 paid for the original unit). So now my table has an extra bit of clutter. The unit comes with four USB ports, a card reader, and headphone socket. But, again, to keep the unit's good looks, these are at the back of the machine. So, every time you need to plug or unplug something, the whole machine has to be turned around. All this just to maintain the thin edges. And here's the thing: most computer users that I know look at the front of the screen, not the side.

Included with the computer is a cordless mouse that ca be re-charged from the computer. However, the charging cord plugs into the underside of the mouse resulting in the mouse not being usable whilst re-charging.

The Windows Explorer in a PC can be opened run a number of times simultaneously. This means that it's possible to compare file and folder contents and transfer easily between them. The Mac equivalent ('Finder") does not allow this multiple viewing, making my work-flow more onerous. I really do hope that I've yet to learn that there is a way of opening multiple Finder views - it's driving me up the wall not to be able.

Two of my favourite pieces of software (free to download) is FastStone Image Viewer and ProgeCad (CADS programme). Unfortunately, they are not available for Macs.

Since writing my first post, I've tried restarting my old PC and it's sort of working (95%) and not as fast. If it keeps on working OK, I think that my grandchildren will be getting a Mac as a combined Christmas present.
Please don’t take this the wrong way but it never ceases to amaze me on forums such as this that it is always the equipment which is at fault and never the operator.

Most of your problems could have been avoided if you had done a little bit of research before you actually bought the Mac.

Apple have always been ahead of the game and they don’t include optical drives because most people now download software, music and videos, thus making optical drives redundant. It won’t be too long before PC’s go the same way.

As for the number of USB ports, you don’t need to turn the Mac around every time you want to plug in a peripheral, all you need to do is buy a USB hub and plug all your peripherals into that.

Regarding the cordless mouse and keyboard; Apple do actually supply iMac’s with a wired keyboard and mouse at no extra charge. If you had looked at the Apple website you would have found that out, so there would be no down-time whilst the keyboard/mouse is recharging.

To open multiple Finder windows on a Mac all you have to do is right-click on the Finder icon and then click on “Open New Finder Widow”, you can do this as many times as you want.

Concerning the software that is not available for Mac’s, if you had checked their respective websites before buying the Mac you would have found out that they were not available, which may have meant that you didn’t buy a Mac.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ade G View Post
That equally applies to PC’s and Microsoft as well. You can only work the way that the software is designed to be used.

What you seem to be forgetting is a very small but important point; whilst Mac’s and PC’s do the same thing in a very similar way, Mac’s and PC’s are not the same.

Before you ask, no I am not an Apple Fan-boy. Personally I think iMac’s are nothing more than over-sized, over-priced laptops. But if you had gone down to your local Apple store and spent a bit of time with a “Genius” I think you would have made a more conducive decision.
Old 07-12-15, 08:32

It never ceases to amaze me how supporters of a particular item will blame the buyer for not researching the item's short-comings.

I've got a USB cluttering my table, bit it wouldn't be necessary if the ports were at the front.

Unfortunately, I'm not one of the 'most people' who download software etc, and until it becomes standard for it to be so, I'd expect an optical drive with the machine.

As John has so-well advised, you need to do a lot of on-line research before switching from a PC to a Mac or you might not get what you are expecting.

Last edited by Birdsnapper; 07-12-15 at 08:35.
Old 07-12-15, 12:05

Quote:
It never ceases to amaze me how supporters of a particular item will blame the buyer for not researching the item's short-comings.
Well, who else is there to blame?

Quote:
I've got a USB cluttering my table, bit it wouldn't be necessary if the ports were at the front.

Unfortunately, I'm not one of the 'most people' who download software etc, and until it becomes standard for it to be so, I'd expect an optical drive with the machine.

As John has so-well advised, you need to do a lot of on-line research before switching from a PC to a Mac or you might not get what you are expecting.
Birdsnapper are you seriously telling me that you did not check the specifications of the iMac before you bought it. And no you don’t need to do a lot of on-line research, a visit to the Apple website would have quickly made you aware of what you were actually buying.

If you wanted a computer that had front USB ports like a PC then why didn’t you buy a PC.
If you wanted a computer that had an optical drive like a PC then why didn’t you buy a PC.
If you wanted a computer that would run Windows only software like a PC then why didn’t you buy a PC.

It is perfectly obvious from your previous posts that the computer you bought is totally unsuitable for your specific needs and requirements and yet you have the audacity to blame Apple for your predicament.

If you wanted a computer that had easily accessible USB ports on the front of the machine then why did you buy a Mac which has its USB ports on the back.
If you wanted a computer that had a built-in optical drive then why did you buy a Mac that doesn't.
If you wanted a computer that will run Windows only software then why did you buy a Mac that runs OSX.

There is only one person to blame for the situation that you are in and that is you.