WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Off Topic > Computers and The Internet

Computers and The Internet This is the place to ask questions and discuss the complex world of computer and internet issues.

Anti Virus Choice

Old 05-06-16, 18:09

Default Anti Virus Choice

Norton tell me they will want £99.99 to renew my (albeit comprehensive) anti-virus and internet security in July. I've been with them forever but this seems like a rather high price and I would be grateful for advice and views about antivirus choices made by WPF members
Old 05-06-16, 19:12

I use AVG avast, free software although you can upgrade & pay for more protection. Seems pretty good been using it for at least 5 years with no virus/hacking issues.
Old 05-06-16, 20:59

I too use Avast, I used AVG for several years but it became 'bloatware' on my PC so I tried Avast. They can be annoying at times pestering you to upgrade and suggesting facilities (disc checkers etc.) but it does trap viruses.
Old 05-06-16, 21:10

To be honest, I am very suspicious with the speed and readiness these Anti Virus firms come to solve the problem of a very advertised, recently found virus, then relative inability to fight against small unknown ones... Seems they even have the solution, before the problem!! And yes, I admit. I am a bit paranoid here

I don't trust any Anti Virus program. They all have one (OK more than one) thing in common: They slow down you system significantly, sometimes to the extend of a total halt and None is fully capable to stop viruses or to protect you.

My best, over the time learned policy is to:
1- Have the common sense when surfing the web. Don't get full by the obvious ones!
2- Have a back up of only your important letters, data (That BTW wont take much space) then 3- Be prepare to loss all that you have on your hard drive and 4- Be able to format and reinstall your OS anytime you felt there is an attack.
I could never liver happier, with faster computing power, when following these lines. I work with a lot of ITs and know there is nothing worrying them than someone who knows how a fresh format and install of new OS can alleviate almost any problem, an average Joe faces, thus the job insecurity for an IT....Any system, with the worst problems I have had, has best responded to a fresh install after reformatting that HD.

Sure it may not be for all so don't loss your trust on whatever is reasonably priced and works for you.
My recommendations:
BitDefender (for Antivirus)-Almost same price as you said - And I believe they still have the free Cloud version to check your pc) plus MalwareBytes ( for Malware/Phishing/Homepage stealing) (Has a very capable free version and paid version is also cheap under $30).
Many people Love Kaspersky also as AntiVirus. LINK. The price for a year, in USA is under ~35, so almost 1/3 of your AV.

There was a free Chines AV that I wont name (Simply not remembering it rather than mere hate) comes for free and in fact it appeared by itself on my Win 10 new laptop, once Trial McAfee was over, but as I am suspicious, obviously uninstalled it fully in safe mode. Seems some are telling good words about it, but I don't believe in "Free goodies" especially when made in China

In past when using AVG, for a very long time, a couple of times my HDs died on me. I guess it was just a normal life cycle of HD rather than AVG making them to run too hard round the clock, and die prematurely but then, I have developed a bad taste on that too...

Hope you get better advise from other members here as I am a disbeliever!

------------------------------

"No one is going to take our democracy away from us. Not now, not ever.
" JOE BIDEN

Last edited by sassan; 05-06-16 at 21:18.
Old 06-06-16, 19:17

Thanks for those contributions . I've also gathered that Norton can be a lot cheaper if you buy it new as a "first time buyer" instead of renewing but I need to look into this further.
Old 06-06-16, 19:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Waites View Post
Thanks for those contributions . I've also gathered that Norton can be a lot cheaper if you buy it new as a "first time buyer" instead of renewing but I need to look into this further.
They do very frequently announce their sales and you can see a good deduction say 50 percent or more. In fact, a lot of times, if you enter the item in to your cart, then for any reason not make the purchase, you do get a screen with discount or special for you!
Surely you can find a better deal if you shop around and not in hurry.

------------------------------

"No one is going to take our democracy away from us. Not now, not ever.
" JOE BIDEN
Old 08-06-16, 10:38

Food for thought. Yes, thanks sassan I'll take my time.
Old 10-06-16, 13:39
Super Moderator

I used to use Norton but gave up on it a number of years ago because it was too resource hungry.

Used AVG free for a while but when I decided that I need more protection for clients photos went for Bitdefender paid solution (there is a well rated free version) - I think it was ~£30 last time I renewed & also now has ramsomware protection
Old 11-06-16, 09:50

That's helpful Clive - thanks. Now I'm focussed on anti-virus I'm noticing Norton's greed. A change could save me some pain.
Old 01-07-16, 09:39

Default Update

For interest - in the end I bought a new 5 device installation from Norton - one year for £29.99. The only thing it hasn't addressed is the resource issue highlighted by Clive.