WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Off Topic > Computers and The Internet

Computers and The Internet This is the place to ask questions and discuss the complex world of computer and internet issues.

Heads up scam

Old 16-12-18, 11:47

Default Heads up scam

Just had an e-mail supposedly from BT, it looked genuine and even had all the "pages" listed for customer services etc.
It stated that prices were increasing and unless I replied to day my account would be suspended, and would I re affirm my account details so they could up date me.
Now being a suspicious type I called BT customer services, they looked into it and have told me it is a scam to get your details so delete it.
So beware, the threat of having to do it the same day as the e-mail and the time of year may get some people to rush into doing it DON'T.
Charles.
Old 16-12-18, 12:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackadder View Post
Just had an e-mail supposedly from BT, it looked genuine and even had all the "pages" listed for customer services etc.
It stated that prices were increasing and unless I replied to day my account would be suspended, and would I re affirm my account details so they could up date me.
Now being a suspicious type I called BT customer services, they looked into it and have told me it is a scam to get your details so delete it.
So beware, the threat of having to do it the same day as the e-mail and the time of year may get some people to rush into doing it DON'T.
Charles.
I can't imagine an ISP ever cutting of customers for not replying in a day. this has SCAM written over it in letters so big I'd find it difficult to read the whole rest! It may be worth mentioning something we've recently come across. A marriage tax allowance transfer service - seems simple enough to do & with my wife earning significantly less than me should give us quite a bit of money back. The form doesn't ask for bank details etc - but did authorize the payments to be made to the company doing it amplifying the alarm bells that started when it was a company we were claiming from. Reading up their terms & conditions they charge 35% for this, and hold on to any money for a week or two!!! Going direct to the HMRC website we could claim direct and it hardly took any longer to fill in the application. - The refund should be enough for a new camera

Pentax K5ii & Panasonic G5 user (with far too many bits to list)
Member of North Essex Photographic Workshop
Also online with PentaxUser.co.uk, Flickr, MU-43, MFLenses...