WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Off Topic > Computers and The Internet

Computers and The Internet This is the place to ask questions and discuss the complex world of computer and internet issues.

Catastrophe

Old 10-03-19, 11:28

Question Catastrophe

I suppose it had to happen sooner or later, My computer died!
I was halfway through a batch of images and everything stopped no controls at all.
I "big red switched" it and re booted, it won't recognise the pass word and I can't get back in, this means the images are gone. It tells me it needs a password disc to re start.
I went to the local computer shop, nothing they can do.
So, I am now trying to get on with a new iMac 27" 5k display.
I will get a Spyder calibrator tomorrow for the colour.
Old 10-03-19, 13:17

Maybe I'm teaching "grandma to suck eggs" in which case I apologise. But have you considered using a recovery disc? Or trying a start in safe mode? The data must still be physically on the hard drive it may take a while but there's gotta be a way.
Old 10-03-19, 14:48

Default Not complete disaster

Thanks Peter, I will have a play but had to get a new machine as the season starts in a fortnights time, converted my DXO photo lab 2 elite to Mac and it works fine, in doing this I realised that I had only formatted one camera memory card so I have been working with the second one( thats why I record to both at the same time).
I had elements 18 as well but I can't get it on the new Mac so may have to get a new copy.
Charles.
Old 10-03-19, 22:17

Sorry to hear of your misfortune Charles, but every downside has a silver lining, as you now have a nice new shiny Mac. I would imagine you should still have all your pics. Have you tried removing the drive from the old machine andc connecting it to the new one. I'm just about to dump my Spyder as it does not work to well with Win 10.

Harry
Old 10-03-19, 23:55

If you need to get files from the old computer, and it's a pc, I might be able to help with some hardware I could send you. If it's a Mac, and they live up to their reputation of zero connectivity, it's beyond me

Either way, sympathy. Sue's computer has died a couple of times, but we got it back; but in her case everthing was backed up to a location accessibile from my computer, so apart from the inconvenience, things could carry on until the fix.

All the technique in the world doesn't compensate for the inability to notice (Elliot Erwitt)
Old 11-03-19, 12:37

Thanks Harry, I have all my images on 4 separate HDs so the problem was the current ones. Fortunately I had them still in camera, I processed them in DXO on the Mac no problem,...... but now I can't get them onto another HD or a disc!
I expect it's me so need more time on it.

Thanks for the Offer Stephen, I will persevere a bit longer , however I may take you up on the offer. The Mac screen is great, I have a Spyder X pro coming in the morning to check it, and I must "play" with it today to try to sort things out, I fear however that DXO is having problems as it can't recognise my external HDs and opens slightly differently each time I go in to DXO, I hope I don't have to change processing suites after 20 years of DXO.
Oh well such is life.
Charles.
Old 13-03-19, 09:16

Sorry to hear about all your problem my pal, with computer and it is very heart breaking (Being a victim of that several times myself).

If it is only a virus or cropped OS, it should be amenable to repair fairly easy. Install a new OS.

If it is hard drive that is dead, and as it happened a lot of times to me, just replace it. Best is to go with SSD drives that are really cheap these days. I used to buy 120GB for $150 and now a days I see them on sale for about $20! in fact the price I paid then, is good good for a 1TB SSD, in today's market.

But then if you can get rid of all and settle for something newer and better, then why not. I have a few of those older 27" iMacs that are really neat tools, though being a PC guy, rarely use them.
Yet their newer ones are very expensive and hope the damage wont hurt you too much.

Cheers my friend & wish you better days.

------------------------------

"No one is going to take our democracy away from us. Not now, not ever.
" JOE BIDEN
Old 13-03-19, 13:58

Thanks for your concern Sassan, it was an HD issue, fortunately I backup each time I close to external HDs and the I Mac can read them so it is just the ones I was working on at the time that went.
I have lost all the Microsoft programs and non photo software, the DXO Lab 2 elite lets you have 2 copies so I downloaded the Mac version, all OK, but the elements would not change so I had to buy a new one.
I think after 3 days of trying that I have worked out how to get images from the computer to a memory stick to get copies to the museum. I need to work out how to download to here as well.
My next task is to get chess back on, (you need something to do while it warms up before editing).
To top it all off I got my council tax today.
Hey ho just keep on trucking.
Charles.
Old 09-09-19, 15:50

Quote:
But have you considered using a recovery disc? Or trying a start in safe mode? The data must still be physically on the hard drive it may take a while but there's gotta be a way.
Try any recovery software kinda DiskDrill or Recuva to get back your files.
Old 05-11-19, 11:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackadder View Post
It tells me it needs a password disc to re start.
Using password disc to restart?Are you talking about bootable disk?