WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > General Photography > The Photography Forum

The Photography Forum General Photography Related Discussion.

Help! Dont know what to spend my £400 on.

Old 20-11-10, 19:33

Default Please Help! Dont know what to spend my £400 on.

I have £400+ burning an hole in my pocket and want to upgrade. I am torn between a new camera to use alongside my existing one or a nice new lens.
The kit i have is as follows:

Nikon D40
Nikor 18-55mm Kit lens (non vr)
Nikor 50mm 1.8d Prime
Cosina 100mm MF Macro
Sigma 70-300mm Apo Dg Macro.
Jessops 360Afd Flash Unit.

I Like the D40 it was all i could afford at the time but its limitations are starting to show now with only 3AF points, lack of Live view, Low resolution etc.
So i was looking at upgrading to a D5000 with a VR kit lens for £415 ish i could sell my kit lens. Also it may be some time before i can afford to buy a new camera if i dont buy now.

I Also fancy a better lens something like a Tamron 18-270mm allrounder though read a few bad reviews. Or a Nikor 70-300mm VR i am struggling with my existing lenses in weaker light and at the longer lengths and the VR would help. I could px my Sigma. What would you do in this position Camera or lens?

Thx Paul.

Last edited by bezzy3004; 20-11-10 at 23:55.
Old 21-11-10, 18:57

Default Upgrading

Have you thought of buying used equipment? Mifsuds and MPB Photographic always have a good selection of used Nikon/Nikon fit equipment. I've bought from both of them recently and they are both good companies to deal with.( I bought a D90 body from Mifsuds and a Sigma 70-300 APO from MPB)
Incidentally, I've got a Tamron 18-270mm lens which I still use as a walkabout lens on my old D80 and the results from this are OK as far as I'm concerned!

Dave
Old 21-11-10, 21:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by davet47 View Post
Have you thought of buying used equipment? Mifsuds and MPB Photographic always have a good selection of used Nikon/Nikon fit equipment. I've bought from both of them recently and they are both good companies to deal with.( I bought a D90 body from Mifsuds and a Sigma 70-300 APO from MPB)
Incidentally, I've got a Tamron 18-270mm lens which I still use as a walkabout lens on my old D80 and the results from this are OK as far as I'm concerned!

Dave
Thx for that dave, Yes ive thought about second hand but i prefer buying new just my preference. I Am leaning more towards a d5000 but have realised the only way i can get one for that money is a refurbished one with a 18-55 vr from an Ebay shop for £414 i can sell my kit lens for around £35 with Mifsuds. The 70-300 VR Nikkor does look attractive though Mifsuds quote £385 or £305 with my Sigma.
Old 22-11-10, 04:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by bezzy3004 View Post
I have £400+ burning an hole in my pocket and want to upgrade. I am torn between a new camera to use alongside my existing one or a nice new lens.
The kit i have is as follows:

Nikon D40
Nikor 18-55mm Kit lens (non vr)
Nikor 50mm 1.8d Prime
Cosina 100mm MF Macro
Sigma 70-300mm Apo Dg Macro.
Jessops 360Afd Flash Unit.

I Like the D40 it was all i could afford at the time but its limitations are starting to show now with only 3AF points, lack of Live view, Low resolution etc.
So i was looking at upgrading to a D5000 with a VR kit lens for £415 ish i could sell my kit lens. Also it may be some time before i can afford to buy a new camera if i dont buy now.

I Also fancy a better lens something like a Tamron 18-270mm allrounder though read a few bad reviews. Or a Nikor 70-300mm VR i am struggling with my existing lenses in weaker light and at the longer lengths and the VR would help. I could px my Sigma. What would you do in this position Camera or lens?

Thx Paul.
Get a Nikon D3100 with 18-55 Nikor VR lens for $700USD, it's got a high 14.2 megapixels compared to your current D40. Always sell the body and never sell your lenses, because some lenses are very usefull for some photo shoot and generally lenses don't get discontinued as quickly as camera bodies.
Old 23-11-10, 12:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzhao1688 View Post
Get a Nikon D3100 with 18-55 Nikor VR lens for $700USD, it's got a high 14.2 megapixels compared to your current D40. Always sell the body and never sell your lenses, because some lenses are very usefull for some photo shoot and generally lenses don't get discontinued as quickly as camera bodies.
Thx for that, i didnt like the 3100 because it doesnt have the flip screen and apart from the resolution and sensitivity there is not a lot between the two models so i have gone for the 5000. I dont see much point keeping my kit lens when the lens replacing it is the VR version it will never get used, likwise if i get a 70-300 vr there is no point in keeping the Sigma i may as well part ex it and get a bit of my purchase. The main point i have is will i enjoy the better VR lens on my existing D40 or am i best upgrading my D40 for a D5000 that comes with a VR kit lens and stick with my non stabilised zoom?