WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Technique > The Digital Darkroom

The Digital Darkroom The In-Computer editing forum.

Is it possible to re-size RAW files??

Old 25-12-09, 02:25

I don't have any call to use Bridge and I am sure that your method does work to edit a jpg in ACR and of course the controls will work in the same way.

What I do question is your logic that you have the original RAW data in the jpeg.

Camera RAW is normally 12 or 14 bit data dependant on model of camera. Jpeg is only 8 bit data RGB.

The 8bit data is derived from the 12/14 bit data after gamma curves have been applied based on brightness, contrast, saturation, colour balance and exposure settings.

In some cases the only difference between 100 ISO and 200 ISO is the gamma curve applied.

Readjusting these based on jpeg 8bit data is not better than adjusting in Photoshop other than the controls maybe more intuitive.

It will be interesting to see a correction for 2 stop under or over exposure using your method compared to processing the original RAW file.
Or even temperature correct for a camera set up for tungsten lighting but shot in daylight.

-----------------------------------------------------
Solar powered Box Brownie Mk2

Captain Sunshine, to be such a man as he, and walk so pure between the earth and the sea.

WPF Gallery
Birdforum Gallery
http://www.robertstocker.co.uk updated

Last edited by robski; 25-12-09 at 02:34.
Old 25-12-09, 13:03
The Wanderer

HI Rob,
If you want to send as the OP wants then you would want to use bridge (or any other method that you may find) as Its just for a tutorial purpose and no need for high quality.

Now you are going off track with the 8 bit and so on, I am not talking about the data in that way as that has not been mentioned, So lets not start getting to deep and loosing people even more .
Working In RAW compared to JPEG Is the best way as like you said It retains more data and values. I am like you mentioned talking about the controls that will be in tact (maybe i should of made that more clear when i mentioned data instead of saying controls). as that Is what the tutorial is for and the quality will have to be scrutinized which I'm sure you will, If It was going to print and so on. but for a tutorial and for someone who can only send a small file Its the way to go, as the person doing the tutorial Is obviously showing them how to use the controls in RAW.
That's my only point, I have never said that It would be as good as a RAW file but If you compare the RAW to the JPEG then you will see for the purpose of a tutorial It not a problem.

There will always be a down side in working in JPEG compared to RAW.

Last edited by The Wanderer; 25-12-09 at 13:08.
Old 26-12-09, 14:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by robski View Post
I don't have any call to use Bridge and I am sure that your method does work to edit a jpg in ACR and of course the controls will work in the same way.

What I do question is your logic that you have the original RAW data in the jpeg.

[snip]

It will be interesting to see a correction for 2 stop under or over exposure using your method compared to processing the original RAW file.
Or even temperature correct for a camera set up for tungsten lighting but shot in daylight.
Quite agree with this. Rob knows his stuff on this subject, REALLY knows his stuff. See this thread:
http://www.worldphotographyforum.com...ead.php?t=2523
for everything you ever wanted to know about conversion to jpeg. You cannot retain the full raw data in a jpeg.
Old 26-12-09, 15:22
The Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by yelvertoft View Post
Quite agree with this. Rob knows his stuff on this subject, REALLY knows his stuff. See this thread:
http://www.worldphotographyforum.com...ead.php?t=2523
for everything you ever wanted to know about conversion to jpeg. You cannot retain the full raw data in a jpeg.
Hi Yelvertoft, Don't take this the wrong way but did you read the the whole 3 pages? and more importantly did you read what i said after Rob's last reply. That i should of said controls instead of data to keep it simple and not get people confused. My fault.
Glad he does know his stuff (It'll be great to pick his brains now and then). He will then know that the controls are available in camera RAW AND WILL be good enough for the purpose of the tutorial.
I have not mentioned anything to do with the RAW values or bit data.
This is what people are missing.
The whole point of what i am saying Is that THE CONTROLS ARE AVAILABLE IN CAMERA RAW WITH THE JPEG. and that can be sent to the person who wants to do the tutorial.
As I have already mentioned there Is nothing better than working with a raw file as a JPEG Is limited.
But AGAIN the purpose of my reply to this is that someone wants a tutorial doing on camera RAW and is not able to send the original file. So If the person converts it to a JPEG and sends it, the person doing the tutorial can OPEN IT IN CAMERA RAW VIA BRIDGE AND THEN DO THE TUTORIAL USING THE CAMERA RAW CONTROLS.

Because someone may know everything does not always make them right. We all learn something and unless he and yourself try it and see then there Is no point to the replies as we are going round in circles.

ps. IF you do want to try It to see that I am correct then before you do (and i am not trying to be clever) go to Bridge, open the camera RAW preferences and make sure that JPeg and TIFF handling is set to "Automatically open JPEG with settings" This Is probably were Roy C went wrong, but he did not want any helped.

Last edited by The Wanderer; 26-12-09 at 19:07. Reason: spelling
Old 29-12-09, 19:15

I suggest you to ZIP the files..... than in case you are not able to send out due to ISP limits or Mailer limits... you can use servicess online that allow you to send out to them big files.... after that you must send to your friend a link of those services from where your friend can dowload the files.
Old 18-01-10, 18:02

Hi
am I missing something, I thought the problem was sending a RAW file as a (raw file) maybe I got it wrong I've been sending photos in raw format using like Derekb suggest yousendit with no problem for some time
Hugh
http://hughsphotoshop
Old 18-01-10, 19:04

Hugh I believe the issue is e-mailing 15Mb files, Some mail servers are not happy to receive them or it maybe the person receiving is still using a 56K dial modem.

Believe or not everybody is on broadband.

-----------------------------------------------------
Solar powered Box Brownie Mk2

Captain Sunshine, to be such a man as he, and walk so pure between the earth and the sea.

WPF Gallery
Birdforum Gallery
http://www.robertstocker.co.uk updated
Old 18-01-10, 20:11

Hi rob I just wanted to stick my farthing's worth in
Hugh
http://hughsphotoshop