WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Technique > General Photography Technique

General Photography Technique Discussion on General Photography Technique

Night time photography

Old 21-12-05, 16:03

Default Night time photography

Today is the winter solstice, the shortest day of the year, at least in the northern hemisphere; you guys from Oz can just wait for 6 months. When faced with such gloomy short days, it’s very easy to think I won’t bother taking any photos, there’s no light. I thought I’d put together some suggestions for night time subjects and some suggested settings to use.

Subject: City Skyline (at dusk)
ISO 100 4 seconds f/2.8
ISO 200 4 seconds f/4
ISO 400 4 seconds f/5.6

Subject: Floodlit Buildings
ISO 100 1 second f/4
ISO 200 1 second f/5.6
ISO 400 1 seconds f/8

Subject: Streetlit/Candlelit
ISO 100 1/2 second f/2.8
ISO 200 1/2 second f/4
ISO 400 1/2 second f/5.6

Subject: Dimly lit Interiors
ISO 100 1/4 second f/2.8
ISO 200 1/4 second f/4
ISO 400 1/4 second f/5.6

Subject: Dimly lit Street Scenes
ISO 100 1/8 second f/2.8
ISO 200 1/8 second f/4
ISO 400 1/8 second f/5.6

Subject: Brightly lit Street Scenes
ISO 100 1/15 second f/2.8
ISO 200 1/15 second f/4
ISO 400 1/15 second f/5.6

Subject: Brightly lit Shop Windows
ISO 100 1/30 second f/2.8
ISO 200 1/30 second f/4
ISO 400 1/30 second f/5.6

Subject: Fireworks
ISO 100 “B” f/5.6
ISO 200 “B” f/8
ISO 400 “B” f/11

Subject: Traffic Trails
ISO 100 20 seconds f/11
ISO 200 20 seconds f/16
ISO 400 20 seconds f/32

Subject: Fairground Rides
ISO 100 4 seconds f/16
ISO 200 2 seconds f/16
ISO 400 1 second f/16

I am assured that for lightning, the same settings as for fireworks should be used, but despite many attempts, I’ve never managed to capture lightning with a camera yet.

These settings are just suggestions, feel free to adjust as required. Remember, with digital it costs nothing to experiment and try some different settings. I’m certainly not saying this is the only way to do things, but it’s a starting point. If nothing else, I thought it may give people some ideas about possible things to take pictures of.

Regards,

Duncan
Old 21-12-05, 16:10

Duncan, you make a good point, as there are always photographic subjects, even in the lowest of light conditions. Also, woohoo to the shortest day of the year, cos things can only get better lol

Thats a pretty useful list youve posted and Im sure I'll be trying some out. A steady tripod is a must aswell, for those rather slow shutter speeds.

Thanks

ps... what settings for a double BLT sandwich? :P
Old 21-12-05, 16:23

I haven't done a lot of low light photography but for fireworks I found that with my Canon 20D after selecting ISO 800 the camera did just fine wide open in Aperture priority mode! This was with me only a few hundred feet from the place where they shot the fireworks.

Also the one time I've played with street lights and cars lights I found that total automatic on the camera did excellent! I was actually quite surprised.

For catching lighting, I've read that most people who don't use the special electronic triggers simply point their cameras in an appropriate direction and set up the camera for an exposure of 20 seconds or so. They then just keep triggering the shutter every 20 seconds until they happen to catch a strike. So many trees here where I live that I haven't had a chance to try But I do like the trees

Last edited by jseaman; 21-12-05 at 16:31.
Old 21-12-05, 16:48
Super Moderator

great info Duncan - I really want to get out and try some low light shots now.

I did have a go at fireworks earlier in the year, but it was on a friends camera and I've yet to see the results... must get hold of those shots soon.
Old 21-12-05, 17:39

Iv'e never tried real low light shots. Butnow I have the settings for LAMPlight, I'll give it a go.

Thank you Duncan !

Regards

Ian
Old 21-12-05, 23:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian
Iv'e never tried real low light shots. Butnow I have the settings for LAMPlight, I'll give it a go.

Thank you Duncan !

Regards

Ian
I see you've replaced your avatar, oh my!!!! I didn't think you'd take it that seriously. I'm going to be chuckling all night now.
Old 21-12-05, 23:21

Talking Pub interior settings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Charles
ps... what settings for a double BLT sandwich? P
In sunny day lunchtime pub lighting try ISO200, f/16, 1/50th, 35mm lens. Worked for me, though you do have to lighten the shadows a little to get the best out of the shot.
Old 29-12-05, 20:36
Willowy1

Okay I need some advice on taking shots of wildlife at night.
My camera isn't the best (If only I'd known before I bought the damn thing!!)
It's a Konica Minolta Dimage A200. I have one shot of a woodmouse in my gallery and it shows how bad my photography is!! Admittedly it was at night with only my built in flash with red-eye reduction, and the outside light on which is about 100 watts almost 10ft away. I live in the middle of a forest and get many night time visitors, badgers, foxes deer, etc,and would love to photograph them, but I don't think my camera is up to it
Help any advice welcome.
Jo
Old 29-12-05, 20:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willowy1
Okay I need some advice on taking shots of wildlife at night.
My camera isn't the best (If only I'd known before I bought the damn thing!!)
It's a Konica Minolta Dimage A200. I have one shot of a woodmouse in my gallery and it shows how bad my photography is!! Admittedly it was at night with only my built in flash with red-eye reduction, and the outside light on which is about 100 watts almost 10ft away. I live in the middle of a forest and get many night time visitors, badgers, foxes deer, etc,and would love to photograph them, but I don't think my camera is up to it
Help any advice welcome.
Jo
Jo,

I have just had a little tweek on the contrast and that has made the image less flat.

Night time is difficult as you have to introduce light a bit at a time to keep your visitors. Attatch a link to my Badger shot which was lit by 3 60watt bulbs. The Badgers were enticed to the spot with raisins ( they love them, and will spend a bit of time there if you spinkle them around ). I had to wind the ISO setting up to max though and that is visible as noise in the dark parts of the image.

http://www.worldphotographyforum.com...ewreply&p=1518

Your tweeked image attatched.

Hopefully we will draw an expert in.

Don
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image1 House Mouse.jpg (68.8 KB, 19 views)
Old 29-12-05, 21:10
Willowy1

Many thanks Don for your advice
I think that maybe all my images need more than tweaking!!
I actually just saw your badger shot before I came back to this thread, How weird is that?! Actually I thought you may have used peanuts
Cheers
Jo