WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Technique > General Photography Technique

General Photography Technique Discussion on General Photography Technique

Creative use of lens choice

Old 23-12-05, 10:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Hoey
PPS I must be nuts being here at this time of night. Trying to catch up on the Gallery.

Don you love it you know you do

Rob
Old 23-12-05, 17:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by robski
I think the point Don is trying to make is the flattening effect on the vanishing point perspective which is more to do with focal length and lens to subject distance.

Rob
On the button. When I was out with a group some time ago choice of lens was being made on the basis of what focal length fits what I see from where I am standing. People did not realise that by either moving closer to ( where possible ) or further back would allow them to select a different focal length that may give their pictures more impact. As digital slrs are becoming more affordable, people are moving up to these systems that accept a huge range of lenses. If your last camera was a short zoom range compact, the first lens choice tends to favour the salesmans recommendation yet he may never have taken a picture in his life.

Landscapes are not only the domain of wide angles for panoramic views but it is an area where their huge dof can be very effectivly used. Telephoto's can be used to draw up the background that a wide angle will not.
Many pictures posted here show that many nature subjects positivly benefit from the step back and use a telephoto approach rather than a shorter lens.

Its all about understanding the effects of using a particular lens on a subject and not what one that just fits the view. Before the common use of zooms a conscious choice had to be made, with a zoom it is too easy to zoom without thinking about the effect.

As I mentioned before, some pictures have details of lens and aperture, that allow you to see the effect of using a particular lens and others don't.
So pics or links that show the image benefits of lens choice are the most effective way of broadening members awareness.

Don
Old 23-12-05, 17:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by robski
Don you love it you know you do

Rob
Management happy after a trip to the shops. Just had to do a bit of catching up. Caught in the act, so I'm now also in the ' You're MAD ' catagory.

Forgot to mention in the previous thead that some time ago I changed my 200 from an f4 to a f2.8 to take advantage of shallower dof when used wide open. I wonder what aperture Andy shoots at with his BIGgun.

Don
Old 02-01-06, 16:49

Just to throw another spanner in, focal length does not affect perspective either. Only subject distance affects perspective.
Old 04-01-06, 10:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by John
Just to throw another spanner in, focal length does not affect perspective either. Only subject distance affects perspective.
John,

I was trying my best to describe an effect that the use of lenses of different focal lengths has on objects in the near and far distance.

I may well have used the wrong term and for that I appologise. As the bulk of my education was done under a Flat Top Thorn tree in Kenya and I have only one book on photographic technique, ( and this is not described there ). I was trying my best to find one word that would do.

So I am quite happy to bow to your knowlege of terms.

Allways willing to learn - what word is used to describe this effect ?

Don
Old 04-01-06, 13:55

Don,

And a very good job you made of it too! My comment was made with a bit of tongue in cheek. The effects you described were spot on. Many people observing wide angle and telephoto effects think that focal length effects perspective. I did for nearly fifty years until I read an article explaining how use of non standard lenses causes one to adopt a different view point and it is this which changes the perspective. I think your explanations were far more valuable than my pedantic comment. I am sure you were aware of all this. My sense of humour often gets me into trouble. I should learn but somehow I don't.
Kind regards,
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Hoey
John,

I was trying my best to describe an effect that the use of lenses of different focal lengths has on objects in the near and far distance.

I may well have used the wrong term and for that I appologise. As the bulk of my education was done under a Flat Top Thorn tree in Kenya and I have only one book on photographic technique, ( and this is not described there ). I was trying my best to find one word that would do.

So I am quite happy to bow to your knowlege of terms.

Allways willing to learn - what word is used to describe this effect ?

Don