WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Off Topic > Computers and The Internet

Computers and The Internet This is the place to ask questions and discuss the complex world of computer and internet issues.

Printer purchase help

Old 25-01-07, 22:51

I have an old HP 5552 which is going strong,but just use now for basic printing and thumbnails etc,but did purchase last year an HP Photosmart 8450.The reason for this particular model,is one just replaces the cartridges,not individual inks.So the ink heads are replaced each time.Not economical for lots of print outs,cheaper to use Photobox,but the quality of prints from this machine is excellent.
When I asked for info re printers on BF most suggested Epson ,a few mentioned Canon,but I would not change from HP.Purchase the cartridges from MX2,their prices are very competetive,and service is spot on,no probs such I have had read about from 7 day shop.But the price is somewhat over your budget ,Christine.

http://www.haverigg.com

http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/sho...00/ppuser/2356
Old 25-01-07, 23:01

I've had a Epson Photo EX for more than 8 years, it's printed thousands of photo's and other stuff, it still produces first class images. Unfortunately I've now had to replace it due to the difficulty in obtaining original cartridges for it at reasonable prices. My replacement is an Epson R1800, it has exceptional print quality up to exhibition standard, can print up to A3 right to the edges of the paper and whats more you can change individual colour cartridges as they run out of ink, a great cost saving. It can be had for £300 if you shop around.

nirofo
Old 25-01-07, 23:14
Super Moderator

Thanks everyone for your repllies, I am still undecided. I don't want to spend more than £100 I was happy with the results from my R300 but I am getting fed-up with the quantity of inks they use. I don't have it switched on everyday but when I do It uses nearly half a cartridge just setting up. I have found this problem with all the epsons I have had but the quality is good so stuck with them.
I am looking at the Canon on the basis it looks like you can get at the print head to clean it if you don't use on a regular basis so they would be easier to maintain.
Equipment= Canon 7D, 40D, 400 f5.6, 75-300, 100mm Macro, 18-55, Canon 70-200 f4, Tokina 12-24mm, Kenko pro 300 1.4,1.5 and 2.0x, Jessops ext tube set,
Canon 580 flash. Home made ring flash. . Close-lens.

Old 26-01-07, 13:44

Hi Christine
I have the Epson Stylus photo R200 has 6 cartridges for the past 2 years witch I think is grate ok it uses a lot of ink when cleaning but My grad children us it a lot for homework especially my youngest granddaughter so I us compatible inks witch are ok I have only ever had 1 problem twice when it refused to print had to un install then re install the software had to mask shore that I uninstalled everything for the printer before re installing software
Hugh
Old 26-01-07, 13:52
Super Moderator

Thanks Hugh. I have tried re-installing all the software but it still keep coming up with the same error, I have always used compatible inks and never had any problems, when it does print the pictures are lovely. Its this error which won't shift unless I push the paper physically through the rollers to get it started and that take a few tries. Once it has started its works. I have had the printer to bits and cleaned all the rollers in case anything was caught on them but there was nothing, every now and then the carraige bangs on the side.
Equipment= Canon 7D, 40D, 400 f5.6, 75-300, 100mm Macro, 18-55, Canon 70-200 f4, Tokina 12-24mm, Kenko pro 300 1.4,1.5 and 2.0x, Jessops ext tube set,

Old 26-01-07, 14:20

Hi Saphire

Try disconnecting the printer completely from the computer, cables etc, boot up the computer without the printer connected, uninstall all traces of the printer software, reboot the computer, (still without the printer attached), reinstall the printer software. Shut down the computer completely, reconnect you printer, cables etc. If you're using a parallel cable to connect your printer to the computer, switch on the printer, reboot the computer. Hopefully the computer will find the printer and should reinstall it correctly, they occasionally get out of synch. If you're using a USB connection to connect the printer, don't plug it in to the computer until the computer is fully booted up, when it's fully booted up plug in your USB cable, the computer should then find the printer and go through the setup procedure.

This procedure has worked for me on the odd occasions the printer has become out of synch with the computer.

Hope this helps, nothing to lose anyway!

nirofo.

Last edited by nirofo; 26-01-07 at 14:24.
Old 26-01-07, 16:27

The Epson manual was very specific about NOT connecting the printer to the computer until after the software had been install. Which I only just read in time.
Old 26-01-07, 16:40
Super Moderator

Nirofo I have tried what you suggested and still no joy I think the printer has definitely developed a fault, I have tried to run it in test mode without the USB lead in and it still does the same, it seems like the rollers don't want to move without help.

Old 26-01-07, 17:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by [I
Saphire;16221]Nirofo I have tried what you suggested and still no joy I think the printer has definitely developed a fault, I have tried to run it in test mode without the USB lead in and it still does the same, it seems like the rollers don't want to move without help[/i].

Hi Saphire

I'm afraid it looks like your bin is going to be more full than usual, time for a new printer. If it's A4 you're interested in, go for the Epson Stylus Photo R360, it's within your price range and produces good quality photo's up to edge to edge A4's. See attached web link.

http://www.epson.co.uk/products/inkj...Photo_R360.htm

nirofo.
Old 26-01-07, 17:48

Smile

I use a Canon Pixma iP5000. The colours are great and it has 2 paper feeds. I keep A4 Photo paper in the cassette. Its covered and doesn't get dusty. Wish I had bought the A3 version now.