WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Off Topic > Computers and The Internet

Computers and The Internet This is the place to ask questions and discuss the complex world of computer and internet issues.

Printer purchase help

Old 27-01-07, 14:01
Super Moderator

I have ordered the Canon ip6700D from misco hopefully they are a good dealer the price with next day delivery is £118, thats nearly £25 cheaper than anywhere else. I looked at this one on the basis the print head can be replaced when worn out. It also means if the head is clogged anytime I could remove it and clean.
Equipment= Canon 7D, 40D, 400 f5.6, 75-300, 100mm Macro, 18-55, Canon 70-200 f4, Tokina 12-24mm, Kenko pro 300 1.4,1.5 and 2.0x, Jessops ext tube set,
Canon 580 flash. Home made ring flash. . Close-lens.

Old 27-01-07, 14:06

Location: Prince Edward Island, Canada & Ocala National Forest, Florida, USA

My Canon C5180 also has two paper feeds, one for regular paper and one for A4 paper. It also has 4 memory card slots which is really handy.
Old 27-01-07, 14:57

Christine
Sounds interesting for the future let me know if Compatibles work with it
Hugh
Old 29-01-07, 05:28

Christine; Don't know at what level of commitment for the new printer purchase you are in. If not too late, you may want to have a look at this, many at your price range (In USA).

LINK

Seems all the serious photographer agree on 6k series of Canon Pixma and these days the printers with blue tooth compatibility, in addition to usual multi memory reader, on printer LCD monitor, free standing print capability (Without computer) are the more popular ones. Though the last one that I got and is collecting dust on my desk is a HP photosmart 7755. So I am really rusty in advising you to a good one of the today's market.

But to be honest as I am not one who use the printer for photoprinting at home, I did not want to just look smart with some un-tested suggestion. I like to express my view point of home photo printing, though may not be at all of concern for you or others. So if you have something important, you may want to stop reading here.

When working the best price per photo picture in long run (About 1-2 years that is usual life of a inkjet printer, and in fact if works for longer, its gonna get more expensive...), a 4x6 is best reported as ~20¢. Well if I close my eyes and get to any nearby store, the usual pay is 20-22¢. Of course my norm for a 4x6 is ~10¢, that is to say when I am in hurry and completely out of one of those 25 to 100 prints for free deals... Larger size are a different story, rarely to be found free. Now this is without hassle of dealing with printer, finding the right paper, play with cable, warm up, clean up, that scary thing called R e f i l l i n g to deal with the cost of cartilage that is more than the printer price itself in no time. I order on line and pick up in store (A tad cheaper and much more time consuming). So I see no reason to have that photoprinter at home. Fortunately I have thought kids that their school project must be done at school library, both good in terms of time efficiency and also for where finding the right printer is not a problem. With regular sales, I do have a few unopened color printer in garage in case an emergency for school work arise. These typically are sold cheaper (Sometimes after Mail in rebate, free) and always the cartilages that come with them on other side of the shelf is more expensive than the package itself..., just with hope that in long run you will use and pay them back by cartilage purchase. So typically once printer's cartilage is finished and injecting them with few drop of water, doesn't rejuvenate the machine, they find their way to trash. The real printer for me is the cheapest B&W laser, right now Samsung 1740 ML that I got some of them as low as 15$ few years back and are reserved only for routine printing and not picture. This works quite well for me. BTW I rarely print my pictures as prefer monitor display on living room or for guests, with easy accessible monitors that are on wireless networking. This comply well with my philosophy of saving the green forest (Paperless anytime and anywhere I can) and lesser pollution of earth, in addition to the fact that light of transmission from a monitor is much vivid and superior to light of reflection from a paper... Not to forget, paper pictures feed in time, burn and are heavy to transport. In short if you really don't need the printer, you might as well treat yourself to lack of it for photo and consider a B&W long lasting toner laser for everything else (I found this particular samsung toner very easy to refill as it has screw top and no need for drill and toner powder re-fill (That is to say once a year).

------------------------------

"No one is going to take our democracy away from us. Not now, not ever.
" JOE BIDEN

Last edited by sassan; 29-01-07 at 05:33.
Old 29-01-07, 11:00
Super Moderator

Thanks sassan for your reply, I ordered the printer Sat so I am expecting it tomorrow Tues. I did think at one point whether to bother buying one or to get photos printed at a print house. I decided that I do need one not just for photos but for lots of other printing as well. I have gone for what I can afford and that fortunately is the Canon ip6700d. It has bluetooth which is an added bonus and a small monitor for quick prints.
Equipment= Canon 7D, 40D, 400 f5.6, 75-300, 100mm Macro, 18-55, Canon 70-200 f4, Tokina 12-24mm, Kenko pro 300 1.4,1.5 and 2.0x, Jessops ext tube set,

Old 29-01-07, 18:13

I was fed up of epson printheads clogging up and not being able to unclog them. Just bought a canon, at least you can remove the printhead.
Old 29-01-07, 18:24
Super Moderator

That is what I was thinking John. I think if it becomes necessary to thoroughly clean you need to able to get at heads, I think it was two of my epsons I had to throw away because of clogged heads. No matter how much cleaning fluid I put through they it just wouldn't shift. I thought it was time I tried a different make and see if they are any better, I may find another kind of problem, I will just have to wait and see.

Old 29-01-07, 18:58

I've got a Canon IP3000, not the best looking of printers but it does the job, It's also reatively cheap to run, the cartridges have a good life and with there being three colours become fairly cheap to replace £10.00 for all three at Tescos. Don't forget to get the price of cartridges before you make up your mind on what printer to buy, cheap printers usually come with expensive cartridges that don't seem to last.

Alan
Old 29-01-07, 19:03
Super Moderator

Alan, yes I know what you mean they can be expensive at the moment the cartridges for the ip6600d and ip6700d, the one I am getting there are compatibles on the market for around £15 for all 6 but it does mean I will have to remove the small circuit of the side of the originals each time.

Old 30-01-07, 00:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saphire View Post
I ordered the printer Sat

Canon ip6700d.

Congratulation on your well chosen printer.
Now you may want to have a look here:

LINK

And I may add one of the best things about canon apart from the head part, is the cheap available refill that make a big difference in long run, but still I would like to draw your attention to a second printer, A B&W Laser printer, that can significantly reduce the bulk of your otherwise day to day printing. You know that you can have both hooked up to the same PC or keep them even on a wireless server (Printer) if you're going to use the printer for several computers. Bottom line, give the rugged cheap laser printer a thought. My suggestion is Samsung ML 1700 series or their today's equivalent that should be about 50 $ or so but not only is faster that jet ink, will serve and save you a lot in long run.

------------------------------

"No one is going to take our democracy away from us. Not now, not ever.
" JOE BIDEN

Last edited by sassan; 30-01-07 at 01:57.