WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Cameras

Cameras Discussion on Cameras of all types

Aaaargh - Fuji S3 Pro failing ?

Old 15-06-07, 22:41

got my "quote" today ....

540 pounds to repair ! they are taking the mick ...

I told them I was completely gobsmacked that they'd expect a sensor to only last 14 months (and 4.5K photos) - and therefore even though out of warranty I had expected it to be repaired for free. They are getting a customer service guy to call me at work on Monday. I certainly after this treatment - whether they decide to fix it or not after argument next week (or the small claims if that doesn't work) - will never buy a Fuji again - left a very bad taste in my mouth.

by the way - sorry - the "fault found" - was a fault that required a new CCD sensor.

is it reasonable to only expect a sensor to last 14 months and 4500 photos ?

to make matters worse - I heard from somone else tonight - who dropped their Nikon D200 in a pool of water ! Nikon replaced the CCD, and serviced the camera for 100 pounds !

Feel so disappointed in Fuji - I hope I don't have to see them in court. For 50 quid as I'm very stubbon I'd do it whether I thought I'd win or loose - but I'd be fairly confident that I could prove that a Pro-camera should last more than 14 months.

cheers, Mark.
Old 15-06-07, 23:07

Thats not taking the "mick"..it's exploitation..christ ..you'd get a new D40x @ 10m pixels for that & still have change..
Al.
Old 15-06-07, 23:30

If you are dealing through a camera shop a fair chunk of the £540 could be the shops mark up. Maybe worth trying to talk to fujifilm service dept direct. I Know it is in St Martins Way Bedford because I was in a building next door which also belongs to Fujifilm but another devision.

-----------------------------------------------------
Solar powered Box Brownie Mk2

Captain Sunshine, to be such a man as he, and walk so pure between the earth and the sea.

WPF Gallery
Birdforum Gallery
http://www.robertstocker.co.uk updated
Old 16-06-07, 07:22

thanks guys - I'll give Fuji the benefit of the doubt till Monday when I re-speak to them - perhaps they'll turn-around - just surprised they've tried it on with such a bill to start with.

and rob - no I went to Fuji direct (posted it myself etc) as I was beyond the 12 months.

annoything thing was that this was a great camera (still is - no with a few flaws) - best one I'd owned.

originally purchased the camera for 650 pounds so the repair cost is 83% of the original price I paid.

Mark.
Old 16-06-07, 14:11

Just got my paper version in the post of the quote ....

1 hour labour @ 47 + VAT

£400 + VAT for the CCD

jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeez !

Mark.
Old 16-06-07, 16:27

It suggests to me that Fuji are not making many of those sensors when compared with Nikon (D200). Fuji probably do not enjoy the same scale of economy hence the high price.

The S2 had a batch fault and Fuji had a policy of free sensor repairs to any of the bad batch. Hope you receive similar service.
Old 16-06-07, 17:02

thanks Stephen - over on the dpreview Fuji forum - had at least 1 other S3 user with exact same CCD fault, and one with the same fault on a S2 ...

Mark.
Old 18-06-07, 12:50

"Its a Pro camera designed for only 1 year of Professional heavy usage"

this is was Customer services said to me today - they're designed for one year of heavy Professional style usage, and the fact that I only use the camera lightly - with 4.5K shots was irrevelant in their eyes.

best they could offer was a 25% reduction in repair cost - but it would still be £450 - circa 900 dollars.

so my next recourse unfortunately (well fortunate that we have this clause in our UK law) - is to take it to small claims court - max cost is only 50 quid so nothing to loose - to prove that a camera of that expense should last more than a year - which should be easy enough

unfortuantely you have to take the seller to court (Jessops in this case) - which is annoying as they've been very helpful -but they're the ones that sold me the product that was "not fit for purpose"

will keep you updated - but was disappointed by Fuji's stance - and certainly won't be buying another of their poducts no matter how good.

S3 Pro was the best camera I owned - but if support is not there - then no matter how good the product is - its meaningless if you have a problem in the future.

Mark.
Old 18-06-07, 12:56

Mark,

You're much more likely to get somewhere with the other Sale of Goods Act clause "Goods must be of merchantable quality". When sold, the camera was fit for purpose, it has developed a fault within an unreasonably short time frame, this is a quality issue, not a fit for purpose issue.

Perhaps any solicitors here could expand.

Duncan
Old 18-06-07, 13:03

I suspect that from a legal point of view Fuji are correct. EU law I think only enforces a 1 year warranty. But it does seem outrageous for the sensor to last only 1 year, and for Fuji to state that it was designed only to last that long.

Stephen might be right, but I also suspect they are trying to make money from the sensor repair. Make sure you publicise this elsewhere and the threat to S5 sales might make them change their mind.

I knew someone who was fairly wealthy, but he was a professional complainer. I would hear him on the phone at work, and he was quite rude and aggressive with sales customer support staff. But he got his way. He usually got a refund, or a rebate, or compensation, or a replacement. I found him an utter pain to deal with as he was totally selfish, but clearly it worked for him. I am sure you do not need to be rude like this person was to get results.