WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Cameras

Cameras Discussion on Cameras of all types

A trip down memory lane

Old 04-02-08, 22:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy153 View Post
Sorry Adey, Senior moment, you are right, the photo's of the George VI's Coronation which was 1937
Andy

I think you're probably half right, anyway - didn't they use the date that was already booked for Edward VIII? Which colour film did your father use/develop and how much have the shots faded?

My dad took his simple Ensign folding camera with him during the war but in his 'country-boy' innocence he wasn't covert enough when he took a shot of what he later realised were probably the planes/gliders going to Arnheim - his sergeant immediately took the camera off him and removed the film! It was probably the only film he had because we have no other wartime photos amongst the family snapshots, most of which I've retained.

http://www.birdforum.net/pp_gallery/...00/ppuser/1805

'Write when there is something you know: and not before: and not too damned much after' Ernest Hemingway
Old 05-02-08, 09:10

Hi Adey, its along time since I've seen them so I rang him up. Dad says he has two left. One of the Coronation and one of the Sepentine Lido. They are both in excellent condition and locked away. He, like me, liked to play in the darkroom and he says he cannot remember the name of the process but he made three different colour separation negatives and combined them. I think he was playing with the old Trichrome Carbro process.
Hope this helps
Andy

http://www.pbase.com/andy153

http://andy153.smugmug.com/

Equipment: Nikon - More than enough !!!
Old 05-02-08, 22:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy153 View Post
Hi Adey, its along time since I've seen them so I rang him up. Dad says he has two left. One of the Coronation and one of the Sepentine Lido. They are both in excellent condition and locked away. He, like me, liked to play in the darkroom and he says he cannot remember the name of the process but he made three different colour separation negatives and combined them. I think he was playing with the old Trichrome Carbro process.
Hope this helps
Andy
Cheers, Andy. I imagine that producing a colour shot by such a method was immensely satisfying in those days. We don't know how lucky we are, nowadays!

http://www.birdforum.net/pp_gallery/...00/ppuser/1805

'Write when there is something you know: and not before: and not too damned much after' Ernest Hemingway
Old 14-02-08, 01:15

Excellent posting Don.
I've enjoyed reading through other peoples trips down memory lane.
So here's mine....

My first camera was a Kodak 127 Brownie with lovely tartan case! I was given it by Dad. Interestly he was a wedding photographer at My aunties wedding(mum's sister), which is how he met mum. I took loads of pictures with it until I took it into school, dropped it and cracked the lens!...I cried all the way home!

I was bought a Disc camera after that. A ghastly thing that makes me shudder even now. I had little knowledge back then, but even at the time I realised it was a piece of junk.

Next piece of junk was a series of nasty compacts

First 'real' camera was a Pentax Spotmatic, and with my pocket money I saved up for a Photax 300mm preset f8 lens to go on it. I took many photos with that at the local motor track...one appears on my gallery of Nigel Mansell in his JPS F1car.

Sold the Pentax to get Praktica MTL3 with match needle metering and then MTL50 with fancy LED metering!....Both Prakticas shutters gave up....wished I'd kept the Pentax.
Got a Praktica BC1 electronic...awful horrid thing. binned it when that shutter jamed too.
I tried a lubitel for my first experience with 6x6

Got a decent SLR as birthday pressy...my first Contax RTS. That took me all the way through school. I sold it last year!

Starting college required a camera that was compatable with kit the college had....ie Nikon
I bought a Nikon F3, and an FM as backup...The Contax stayed back with my parents as I was packed off to sixth form then university.
Camera purchasing and selling then exploded!.....
The first F3 stayed with me until after uni', which I sold to pay off student loan...
Most have been secondhand, Nikon FA, F301, Yashica AF (the one with the slide on flash...can't recall model 230AF rings a bell tho...nasty 'trap' focus mode..plastic fantastic)
Canon A1 (even tho I lusted after the F1n at the time) Bronica ETRSi, Pentax 67 (until the bank manager student overdraft computer said no)
Borrowed larger format cameras from university Linhof, Sinar, and Arca Swiss all used. Hated lugging around big heavy cameras tutors insisted we used. I fell in love with Linhof Tech' landscape cameras. Massive panoramic format size, great lens, suprisingly leightweight considering it's format. A beautiful machine...but couldn't justify the price tag verses use for my own.
back to my own 35mm I even bought an original S/H Nikon F ...not sure why, but seemed like an idea to go with my F3 at the time.

More recently, a few film SLR's like Canon T70, Olympus 1000, Canon 500n, Ricoh, Cosina, Miranda...to name a few.

Canon Eos, Nikon f and D series, Pentax, Olympus, Minolta/ KonicaMinolta, sony Fuji etc.......have handled most popular cameras since through work....but fortunately never had the compulsion to own

My own kit the Contax RTS system finally went last year......

Enter the digital age for my own kit...and back with NIKON.
film cameras and my first digital a D1 and D1h...primarily for their speed, build quality and compatablity with one constant throughout the years...Tamron adaptall2 lenses. I still use them on the current bodies, though the lenses are more pro spec' than my early Tamron lenses.
I still prefer action pictures to larger format...and still wished I'd kept the Spotmatic!

Last edited by Joe; 14-02-08 at 12:28.
Old 27-08-08, 15:52

As Sassan keeps baiting me with exotic Nikon lenses, and I am on a bit of history trail, then I thought I would post a couple of links showing Canons Model 7 rangefinder with f0.95 / 50mm lens.

http://www.huffman.tk/id11.html
http://www.collection-appareils.fr/c...ml/canon_7.php
http://www.taunusreiter.de/Cameras/Canon_RF_2e.html

Don
Old 27-08-08, 16:51

Makes me feel old, started with a Ross Ensign TLR (126 film I think) which produced vague muddy contact prints which would never have taken an enlargement even if I knew about such things. Forgot about photography until my mid teens when I had a KodakColorsnap which had a fixed shutter speed with distance guessed and set by a scale and exposure set by weather symbals. Shot mostly slides with it and they mostly came out too! Move on a few years and I bought a Praktica SLR with 50mm and 135 lenses. Then once I was married and the first child arrived to photograph started down the Canon FD trail then EOS and finally Canon digital.