WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Cameras

Cameras Discussion on Cameras of all types

next purchase?

Old 13-12-05, 12:40
Admin

Default next purchase?

What's at the top of your list for a new photographic purchase?
Old 13-12-05, 12:44

As you'll probably have gathered from a BF thread my next purchase was going to be a good quality tripod but as I'm going to be made redundant some time in the new year I'll have to put that on hold for a while and look for book called something like 'How to make Stacks of Money from your camera!'
Old 13-12-05, 12:49
Admin

Bad luck Adey, not a good start to a year Build a crappy website and stick adsense on it? works for me
Old 13-12-05, 14:14

Not sure what my next one will be - looking out for a new, long, prime Nikon lens - when they eventually get around to bringing some new ones out, and catch up with Canon.
Old 13-12-05, 14:28
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezmole
Not sure what my next one will be - looking out for a new, long, prime Nikon lens - when they eventually get around to bringing some new ones out, and catch up with Canon.
Optically and AF speed, the AF-S & AF-S II long primes ARE pretty well the same as the Canons... just that missing element of I.S. I reckon 12 months away but hard to predict. I'd be unwilling to recommend buying a new Nikon long prime at the moment. You can pick up a used AF-S 500mm for around £2.5k.
Old 13-12-05, 14:31

After Digi from Birdforum planted the idea in my head, yesterday, Im thinking longingly about purchasing a Canon 300mm f/4. Ive noticed, in particular for certain bird/wildlife shots, that the 400mm focal range is that touch too long. Thats my excuse anyway A purchase thats a good way off yet!

Tom
Old 13-12-05, 14:53
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracker
Ive noticed, in particular for certain bird/wildlife shots, that the 400mm focal range is that touch too long. Thats my excuse anyway A purchase thats a good way off yet!

Tom
I can't remember a situation when I though 400mm was too much for a bird... but other wildlife it's a possibilty, that's why 300/2.8 is a popular choice amongst pro's. I notice South African Mybs on BF is using a 200-400 f4, that must be absolutely ideal for safari type photography, and birds as well.
Old 13-12-05, 15:08

Hi Andy,

I felt the same, regarding the 400, but yesterday, whilst photographing a pair of Tree Creepers, I couldnt believe how close they let me get to them, in fact I could have done a macro shot on them lol. Just got me thinking about an alternative lens. I thought 200mm, so must have a look at Mybs' setup.

Tom
Old 13-12-05, 15:27

Hi, Tom,

I have the 300f/4 L IS + the 70-200 f/2.8 L IS..... Take a look at my gallery on BF for examples with both, particularly "I've got my eye on you", this lovely hen blackbird was pretty close! I need a longer lens though since adding TC to either does slow down the AF somewhat.... not good for little twitchy fellows at a distance. Don't like using tripod, so what do I choose for my long lens that I can handhold? Cash not really a problem, fortunately!
Don't fancy the 100-400... bye the way..... push pull zoom is not for me.

Trev
Old 13-12-05, 15:45

I fully agree with you on that 100-400, Trev. That was on my shortlist before I bought the Canon 400mm prime, but I decided against it due to too many negative comments off and online. So maybe the answer is another DSLR with a shorter focal length lens. I WISH! LOL

Tom