WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > General Photography > The Photography Forum

The Photography Forum General Photography Related Discussion.

What's the purpose of your pics?

Old 08-01-06, 14:41

Location: Prince Edward Island, Canada & Ocala National Forest, Florida, USA

Interesting question,
I don't think that it is just one thing for me. Part of my enjoyment is the thrill of the hunt sort of idea. To photograph a new species of bird or plant really gives me enjoyment. I also enjoy the technical element of the taking pictures but I think the main thing is creating something artistic, something of beauty.
Old 08-01-06, 23:36

I began taking photographs with a digital camera over 3 years ago. Then, I just had a point and shoot and used to love doing macro photography of flowers. I have always been fascinated with close up intricate detail of nature. Then I bought a minolta z1 that meant I could zoom in further and that was it I was hooked. Martinmere was a huge inspiration to me and I started snapping away at anything that moved. People would tell me what beautiful ducks there were that they had never seen and were never likely to see from all over the world. The artist and the teacher in me then took that and built a website that would show people everywhere the beauty of wildfowl in all its different guises. Then I started my journey with dslr and my whole ethos changed. No more was I content to just snap away but to really look at the beauty of nature through colour and composition. Larger lenses then made it possible for me to go out into a wilder stage and photograph truely wild birds and hopefully educate many that we have a very beautiful world out there.
Old 09-01-06, 11:28

Ummm the purpose varies.Family snaps are just a kind of keepsake.Portraits are for people who ask for them and want either theirs or their child/childrens personality captured in a photo.Motorsport is a self indulgance and when we get a good shot it usualy ends up printed umpteen times cos we have it plus others ask for prints.
Guess the main reason for takeing portraits is id love to do it for a living one day n motorsport is the same for my other half-he would give his right arm to do it as a profession.
Old 09-01-06, 18:10

I like to take a picture that reminds me of the moment I was there, I try to make them worthy of hanging on my wall, (not that many do). If it's a bird I try to capture some discrete moment when the bird was doing something, or was posed in a particularly pleasing composition. I tend to photograph local landscapes in all types of weather and seasons, for instance, I have over 100 shots of Ben Loyal in Sutherland from all sorts of angles and weathers. Some shots I wondered why I took them, others I sit and look at them for a while and remember the occasion!

nirofo.
Old 09-01-06, 23:02

Simple answer- pleasure
Old 10-01-06, 00:13
Chris

There is a challenge in seeing something then seeing if you can get it on camera. Also, I am surprised no-one has already mentioned the added pleasure of finding one's interests shared on a lively forum.

Chris
Old 10-01-06, 07:27

Re-seeing joy of life is what photographs capture for me.Laugh and enjoy LIFE-for LIFE IS SHORT.
Old 12-01-06, 14:36

I have read so may brilliant answers, and it always comes back to the same - love of photography, nature and life.
Old 12-01-06, 18:44

For me to remember something that will never be repeated identicaly again.
Old 12-01-06, 21:33

I'm not blessed with skilful drawing or artistic ability so my creative outlet is photography.

I enjoy the challenge whether it's trying to capture an elusive creature or just tan image pleasing to the eye that hopefully others find as interesting.

To then go on and be able to share some of these images, on website such as this, knowing that people from all corners of the world can view them, admire and/or criticise them is mind blowing and another inspiration to continue striving.