WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Lenses

Lenses Discussion of Lenses

Tandem teleconverters

Old 19-01-08, 10:59

Default Tandem teleconverters

Has anyone experience of using two 1.4 teleconverters (equivalent to a times2 TC).
Will this work or are there problems?
Old 19-01-08, 11:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vernon Barker View Post
Has anyone experience of using two 1.4 teleconverters (equivalent to a times2 TC).
Will this work or are there problems?
I have used stacked converters several times Vernon (1.4 + 1.4 and also 1.4 + 2x) Results will much depend on the lens that you are using as will AF.With Canon bodies you must have a non Canon converter next to the body as you cannot physically connect a Canon tc onto a Canon tc because of the protruding rubber lug. I think Nikon and Sigma tc's have similar limitations.
The easy solution is to get something like a Kenko Pro 1.4 as one of the tc's - any tc will connect to that one.
You obviously know that two 1.4's will lose 2 stops and a 1.4 + 2x will lose 3 stops of light.

MY WEB SITE
MY PHOTOSTREAM
Old 19-01-08, 11:13

Hi Vernon, I have never tried it and probably never would. To start with the introduction of a teleconverter means slowing down the lens you are using ie the largest aperture is effectively cut down - so an f3.5 becomes f5.6, add another and you are making it effectively f11 so you will need very bright conditions to take a good photograph with a reasonable shutter speed. Also you are adding at least two extra layers of glass between your lens and the camera so you will probably loose sharpness or the image will be degraded in some other way. There are effectively two further opportunities for imperfect glass to affect the image. If possible I would invest in a longer lens rather than buy two converters. I notice Roys post and agree that there are some converters you just cannot do this with due to their construction.

http://www.pbase.com/andy153

http://andy153.smugmug.com/

Equipment: Nikon - More than enough !!!

Last edited by andy153; 19-01-08 at 11:16.
Old 19-01-08, 11:22

Here is a few examples that show that stacked tc's can make reasonable shots at a push. They were all taken with my 400mm f5.6 plus 1.4 and 2x tc (giving 1120mm focal length). You do need good light, a steady tripod and manual focusing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg green2stacked.jpg (132.9 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg robin1stacked.jpg (94.4 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg sparrow1stacked.jpg (103.6 KB, 27 views)

MY WEB SITE
MY PHOTOSTREAM
Old 19-01-08, 11:28

Thanks for all the advice.
To be more specific, I am using a Canon 30D camera possibly with a Sigma 120-300 2.8 lens. This will still auto focus with 2times TC.
Does this information modify your comments.
Thanking you in anticipation
Old 19-01-08, 11:45

Teleconverters are just sophisticated magnifying lenses and as well as introducing their own faults multiply the faults in the main lens. With stacked converters you are adding more glass air interfaces so one 2x converter would be better than stacking two 1.4's. A recent magazine article I read concluded that a high quality converter was slightly better than just cropping on the computer but I imagine that stacked converters would definitely be worse. I would stick to the 1.4 and possibly buy a 2x for the extra reach as well but I would not stack them.
Old 19-01-08, 11:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketoll View Post
Teleconverters are just sophisticated magnifying lenses and as well as introducing their own faults multiply the faults in the main lens. With stacked converters you are adding more glass air interfaces so one 2x converter would be better than stacking two 1.4's. A recent magazine article I read concluded that a high quality converter was slightly better than just cropping on the computer but I imagine that stacked converters would definitely be worse. I would stick to the 1.4 and possibly buy a 2x for the extra reach as well but I would not stack them.
Strangely enough Mike I did a test a few months ago on the difference between stacked 1.4s versus a 2x fully expecting the 2x to be better. My results showed there was very little in it which did surprise me.

Something else that never fails to surprise me is how good images turn out that are shot through double glazed windows. You would have though that the extra two pieces of glass would crucify the quality but I have had some very good results.

MY WEB SITE
MY PHOTOSTREAM

Last edited by Roy C; 19-01-08 at 11:59.
Old 19-01-08, 15:08

Location: Prince Edward Island, Canada & Ocala National Forest, Florida, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy C View Post
Here is a few examples that show that stacked tc's can make reasonable shots at a push. They were all taken with my 400mm f5.6 plus 1.4 and 2x tc (giving 1120mm focal length). You do need good light, a steady tripod and manual focusing.
Very impressive.
Old 19-01-08, 17:52

I think the key to the good results is the very high quality of the main lens, the 400 f5.6 L is one of the optically best that Canon do.
Old 19-11-08, 19:44

Thought I would resurrect this thread, as I've been dissapointed with the results from my 2x teleconverter.
Should I be using 2x 1.4x converters instead?