WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Photographic Accessories

Photographic Accessories Discussion on other Photography related Equipment. Tripods, Luggage and suchlike.

What filters?

Old 29-12-05, 22:19

Smile What filters?

I will soon be departing to Kenya for a couple of weeks, what filters or accessories, if any would you recommend I take/buy.

I anticipate that all my time will be spent around the beach and hotel complex, I doubt that I will be going on safari, but I could change my mind when I get there.

I will be taking my Canon 10D & 300D + Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8, Sigma 50-500mm and either my Canon 100mm macro or Sigma 180mm. Tripod plenty of memory, portable hard drive and laptop + of course a flashgun.

I may even find room for some clothes as well.

Suggestions gratefully recieved.

As the plane and hotel is fully booked, it would be pointless to suggest that I take a forum member with me.

Harry
Old 29-12-05, 22:35

At the coast you will be faced with white sandy beaches, palms, blue sky so I think a pola would be worthwhile.

Here is a little taster of what to expect
http://www.kenya-travel-safari.com/k...res/index.html
http://www.trekearth.com/gallery/Africa/Kenya/

You will certainly need the portable hard drive !!!!!!!!!

Don

PS You made it then !!!
Old 30-12-05, 00:19

Thanks for the Links Don, just had a quick browse, but will spend a bit of time studying them.

I should have said, I have a polariser and a 4 times ND filter, the beauty being that they fit both the 24-70mm and also the 50-500mm.

The portable hard drive is a 20gb, and I should have approx 30-35 gb on the laptop so I think I will be ok on the storage side.

Yes I made it. Now a Senior Member, just need to bring back some decent pics from Kenya, so that I live up to my new found status.

Regards

Harry
Old 30-12-05, 10:39

Harry,

I do quite a bit of business travel and have picked up the following tips when taking your SLR camera onbaord an aeroplane.

Aeroplanes in flight are pressurised to approx 8,000ft and oxygen is pulled out of the air via the engines (where the power is) thus the air is rather dry inside the cabin - great!

In the hold there is no pressurisation and most long haul flights cruise at approx 40,000ft in 'thin' air for fuel efficiency. Every 1000ft the pressure drops by 30mB (but this figure tails of at higher altitude). There is a great difference in atmospheric pressure at cruising altitude. Temperature also drops but 2 degrees per 1000ft.

Okay the science bit is over and now for the tips...

1, Take your camera and lenses in the cabin even though they may be heavy and cumbersome, it will pay off.
2, Expel all air from your toiletries, especially tubes of stuff and aftershaves/perfume the pressure may blow the tops off!
3, Put each item of your gear into a plastic bag and expel all air possible, this is protect from condensation forming inside your lenses and SLR camera at your destination.
4, At the destination do not touch your gear until at room temperature, approx 12 hours - be strict do no not want any moisture inside those lenses.
5, If you have to place your gear in the hold then follow point 4 but wait much longer.

I friend of mine went to Kenya a short while ago and produced some good photos using a polarising filter but be sure to get a circular polariser that works with autofocus.

Hope this helps
Old 30-12-05, 10:57

Thanks Stephen.

Several points that I'd not considered.

Point 1&5 my gear will be split into two bags, so should be no probem taking them into the cabin, leaving just my tripod for the hold.

The other 3 points, especially 3 & 4 will certainly do.

Point 3 is my wifes department, so will pass on the info.

I do have a circ. polariser, so it would seem that no extra expenditure is required, other than sun block.

Many thanks for replying.

Harry
Old 30-12-05, 11:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfie

Point 3 is my wifes department, so will pass on the info.

Harry
Hmmmm, I would be shot for typing something like that

Those plastic bags containing your kit should be airtight, the point is to keep as much dry home air around them as possible during transit and only when warmed to the local temperature should they be released. Any moisture will condense on the outside of the bag not inside your lenses/SLR.

Enjoy your trip and bring us back some safari shots
Old 30-12-05, 20:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Fox
Harry,

4, At the destination do not touch your gear until at room temperature, approx 12 hours - be strict do no not want any moisture inside those lenses.

Hope this helps
Harry,

I'm amused thinking about this one !!!!!!!

Better hope you get to your hotel early evening. It'll be dark then.

Don