WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > General Photography > The Photography Forum

The Photography Forum General Photography Related Discussion.

Why Editing is as Important as the Photo Shoot

Old 06-01-10, 02:13

Default Why Editing is as Important as the Photo Shoot

I decided writing this essay after going through and editing close to twelve hundred (1200) images this afternoon. Why? Because I want to share with you the importance of editing and how it defines what your style is and* what your state of mind was at the time of your decision to make the choices you made. I have observed* that depending on the time of day, the mood I am in and how I am feeling about myself, will have a dramatic effect on the choices I make and the outcome of the final published work. When having to make that very important decision it is important to be aware of the state of mind you are in. If you are willing to make the commitment at the time you are editing, that will be what those who view your image as you the artist photographer will see. They will interpret you and your work based on that juncture in time. That is why I usually go through several stages during the editing process.

1. The adaptation period which is based on the first 10-20 images per series. This is where I observe the images and* get a general feel of what I might expect from the expression of the model, general sense of composition and overall feel.

2. The settling in period.* Where I am finding indicators of where I think a sequence is going and I am starting to define preferences.

3. The marking of choices marked and noted generally from 3 to 5 stars.* I am usually overly generous at the onset, until I see a knock me out shot, where I then go back and mark the now not so great image accordingly.

4. The moving of the selects in to a separate file.

5. A resting period.* I do not look at the images for a few hours before making the final choices.

6. The final selects from a reduced selection from the original selections.

7. The commencement of the post production

The editing process really expresses more about you than what was expressed during the actual photo production.

Photo shoots are frenetic at best and there are a multiplicity of concerns that do not allow me to delve as deeply in to the scenario as does the editing process.* It is akin to shooting a film and viewing the rushes.* My general rule of thumb is, if I have not gotten that “WOW” moment during the shooting of a sequence, I keep shooting till I do.* If I don’t, I know that the only thing that will save that sequence is a good rational or some damn innovative editing and post production work.

The photo shoot and production is not over until the editing and post production is completed.* If you have poorly edited your images the outcome could be catastrophic.* I cannot tell you* how often a good editing job made the difference between an OK acceptably professional job and something very unique and special.* If you saw some of the out takes of mine you would understand why choices in editing are so important.* I could* use all* of the RAW material from the same photo shoot and produce what would look like two totally different photographers.* Moods expressed as cold and detached to intense and passionate from exactly the same source.

That is why I said that the editing of the photo shoot or film is an extension of who you are and were during that process.* Your mind set and emotional state at the time can be seen by those with discerning eyes.

I will end this with a short and rather amusing story.* A wonderful Art Director named Martin Schmollgruber from Madame Figaro Magazine in Paris once said the following to me after I presented my photos from a shoot for the magazine to him, “I see that you have quit smoking Benjamin…”* I said,* “Yes I did.* How did you know that?”* He responded,* “I could tell by your images!”

http://www.benjaminkanarekblog.com/2...e-photo-shoot/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8.jpg (130.9 KB, 7 views)
Old 06-01-10, 15:46

Ben,

When you say "editing", you are referring to a straight go/no go selection process here? Filtering out the wheat from the chaff?
Old 06-01-10, 16:44

Hi Duncan, I may be wrong but I think Ben is referring to "editing" meaning the whole post processing process rather than a simple yes/no - I seem to remember from somewhere on his blog or website that he has a team of "editors" or post processing people - Little arty people with big glasses who always live in the dark, crouched over hot keyboards, 50 inch HD monitors and graphic tablets - a little like the Umpa Lumpas of Willie Wonka Fame. You know - they can see each pixel with the naked eye.

http://www.pbase.com/andy153

http://andy153.smugmug.com/

Equipment: Nikon - More than enough !!!
Old 06-01-10, 16:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by yelvertoft View Post
Ben,

When you say "editing", you are referring to a straight go/no go selection process here? Filtering out the wheat from the chaff?
When I do let's say an 8 page fashion spread for a magazine, I might take anywhere from 50 to 150 images of each clothing change and must choose only 1 final image. Some editors ask to see 3-5 final selects of each clothing change before we commence the digital retouching of the final chosen image.

So in my case I am editing for X amount of pages of X times 50-150 images per single page i.e. single image. Does that clarify your query for you?

Ben
Old 06-01-10, 17:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Kanarek View Post
Does that clarify your query for you?

Ben
Yes, thank you.
Old 06-01-10, 19:39

Hi Ben, how far does the digital retouching go? What form does it take? Smoothing out skin tones? Removing astray hair? Is it not what many of us simply call "post processing"?

http://www.pbase.com/andy153

http://andy153.smugmug.com/

Equipment: Nikon - More than enough !!!