WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Photographic Accessories

Photographic Accessories Discussion on other Photography related Equipment. Tripods, Luggage and suchlike.

gold n blue polariser

Old 01-07-10, 22:02

Talking gold n blue polariser

Hi folks,anybody help me out..???

I watched a video tutorial on a website using a blue and gold polariser filter.....are these real or was it just a wind up..??
The stunning differences it made were awesome....I have since trawled the tinterweb and can't find anything only a website in the usa that claims to sell them but are out of stock......
Hmmmm..........I know I'm blond but it does look good...

HELP...!

Sharon....:-)
Old 02-07-10, 19:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaz4 View Post
Hi folks,anybody help me out..???

I watched a video tutorial on a website using a blue and gold polariser filter.....are these real or was it just a wind up..??
The stunning differences it made were awesome....I have since trawled the tinterweb and can't find anything only a website in the usa that claims to sell them but are out of stock......
Hmmmm..........I know I'm blond but it does look good...

HELP...!

Sharon....:-)
Hi, No you are not having a blond day.
This sort of filter has been around for ages, I have a couple of 52mm filters made by Izumar Japan they are called “Chromostar” one is a blue and as you twist the front end it increases the depth of blue.
The filter you were looking at is a version of a “Grad filter” (Graduated). I have loads of Cokin grads ranging from Tobacco to Grey grads very popular with landscape photographers.(Lee also do a range more expensive though)

I hope this helps.
Regards
Richard

Last edited by Red Dog; 02-07-10 at 19:50.
Old 02-07-10, 19:51

Thankyou....any help is welcome....I have never done any landscape photography so don't have a clue......
I know I can probably get a lot of the effects afterwards by using photoshop or similar but I really would like to get it as right as I can actually in camera....I have a box full of oddments collected from various places over the years...I'm going to have a look whats in it....:-)

Sharon
Old 02-07-10, 21:01

Hi Sharon,
Photoshop is a very useful tool but I do find that most times using a “grad” filter I can get things even better than if just by Photoshop, may be I’m not that good at photo shop But you also see the results on your camera before you get home, you can get that “threatening” sky very easily with a grey grad, playing with filters can be very helpful and give those dramatic effects straight out of the camera.
Regards Richard
Old 02-07-10, 21:35

A set of Lee or corkin filters are my next big purchase, Had a play with the grad tool in PP but would rather Try to get it in camera. Seems really complicated to fine tune in PP.
Old 02-07-10, 21:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfg1mp View Post
A set of Lee or corkin filters are my next big purchase, Had a play with the grad tool in PP but would rather Try to get it in camera. Seems really complicated to fine tune in PP.
Go for it, If you are into those, sunsets/sun rise and early morning shots there is nothing better than a good set of filters. well thats my opinion
Regards
Richard
Old 04-07-10, 08:15

Hi guys,
Have found a cokin blue/gold polariser filter so am going to investigate a bit more before i part with 30quid for a bit of plastic that I will probably leave on a wall somewhere...:-)

Sharon
Old 05-07-10, 09:23

That is the trouble with this type of purchase, use a few times but the pictures that really suit it are very few and far between and the effect soon becomes hackneyed. Filter then left in a draw somewhere and forgotten and you have £30 quid less..... We have all done it and just occasionally something does prove to be genuinely useful long term but that is very rare in my experience.
Old 06-07-10, 16:49

Mmm....I have a box full of these kinds of purchases already without buying another..:-(

Maybe I won't bother...

Thankyou all of you for saving me 30 quid
I don't suppose I'll miss it 'cos I never got to find out what they did anyway....lol

Sharon
Old 06-07-10, 17:10

You see loads of these so called wonder products, not just in photography, look at the adds on TV they can make you young again, If you believe that you will believe anything