WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > General Photography > The Photography Forum

The Photography Forum General Photography Related Discussion.

What's the purpose of your pics?

Old 07-01-06, 22:15

Default What's the purpose of your pics?

I was browsing through some old family pics today and began to wonder what motivates people when taking photographs. My family snaps are just that - snapshots, of interest only to my family, not to be inflicted on the world at large ! But it got me wondering more generally about motivation in photography.

It seems to me that some of us take pictures as records, some capture personality (of people or pets) in portraits, some seem motivated by the technical challenges, in other pictures the abstract shines through, and yet others capture a moment in time.

Personally, family snaps apart, I try to identify what it is that first caught my eye in a potential photographic situation (illuminated veins of a leaf, moody Cumbrian weather, early morning tranquility or whatever), and then try to capture this in the final image (with varying degrees of success...). The 'purpose' of the image is to try to capture this.

So, the questions are - what motivates you, and what's the purpose of your pics?
Old 07-01-06, 22:33

My purpose for taking pics can be motivated by several things; often with family shots, its simply because theyre family and its nice being able to record memories. With my efforts at landscape shots, I would say my purpose is to capture atmosphere and mood; but this too can fluctuate depending on the situation. My photographing of birds and other wildlife is motivated by my love and fascination for them; I like to share what Ive seen when Ive been out, with others. When someone sees my work and comments on how they 'didnt know that bird existed or that insect' etc etc, gives me great satisfaction.
Old 07-01-06, 23:07

Just to be able to see on the pc screen the beautiful sunset,or the close up of a magnifcent Heron and to be able to share with other people.Plus the fact it is nice to be able to take photos for people who do not have access to digicams and pc's.I have taken many shots of people's pets here in the village.No charge,but repaid in kind.A free car repair,photo frames made for free etc.Plus the fact one goes outside into our beautiful country side with a purpose,to record what one has seen and to keep to show friends and family .

http://www.haverigg.com

http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/sho...00/ppuser/2356
Old 07-01-06, 23:54

Simply the joy of photography. I will shoot anything if I think it will make a nice image. Over the last year my focus have been mainly birds. I like to share them on Birdforum because I know the vast majority of members are not photographers and it gives them a chance to see them in detail close up. In return they have taught me a lot about birds. Like Christine I would photograph for friends in return for a favour one day. A B&W photography I took of the mother-in-laws dog has been on her hall wall for over 27 years.

-----------------------------------------------------
Solar powered Box Brownie Mk2

Captain Sunshine, to be such a man as he, and walk so pure between the earth and the sea.

WPF Gallery
Birdforum Gallery
http://www.robertstocker.co.uk updated

Last edited by robski; 08-01-06 at 00:52.
Old 08-01-06, 00:12

A moment in time is just that, blink and its gone like a grain of sand in the universe, A photo extends the life of that moment for a long time.
i have just posted a pic of a Swan family with young ( on of several i took that day of a family of swans)
I have been back to the same site for the last few years running to try to recapture the scene with much improved Camera gear and hopefully better techniques but alas they have not bred there since, but at least the MOMENT of THAT day is held...Happy Snapping...brimo

Last edited by brimo; 08-01-06 at 00:14.
Old 08-01-06, 01:57

If I didn't waste my time and money on photography then I'd waste it on something else

Most of the best (or at least, best-known) photos ever taken involve people and I just don't have the bottle to wave my camera around in front of strangers on a regular basis so I know I'm never going to make it 'big time' in photography. I therefore retreat to subjects that don't answer back!

One thing I like to do is to 'de-mystify' photography to help others realise what can be done (i.e. if I can do it, anybody can!).

From a personal point of view, a picture can be worth a thousand words and not being a very good note-taker or diary-writer, I find a photo really does give me a record of a previous event which might well have been forgotten, otherwise.

As an example, when I was a lad at secondary school in the early sixties train-spotting was the thing to get into (this may seem strange to younger generations nowadays, but in those days it was a great way to get out and about and broaden your horizons, etc., etc.,). This was an interesting time on the country's railways with the changeover from steam to modern traction but, crucially from our point of view, none of us in my circle of friends had a camera suitable for recording the contemporary scene so we can't look back on that time other than through our fading memories!

When my own son took an interest in railways as a much younger lad in the early nineties I made sure that I photographed everything possible, knowing that he'd find that railways were not 'cool' when he got to the age where we first started! As a result, not only do I have a great reminder of a time when father and son could share an interest, I've also got a first-class record of the railway scene of the time which has already changed quite considerably within the last decade or so (whether the photos will ever have any commercial value is another matter altogether, though!).

My wildlife photos also bring back memories of days out with my mates both locally and to far-flung corners of the country. More recently I've taken the opportunity to record some of my local wildlife in closer detail and hopefully, this will be of some interest at some time or other though, again, whether it has any commercial value is open to doubt!

http://www.birdforum.net/pp_gallery/...00/ppuser/1805

'Write when there is something you know: and not before: and not too damned much after' Ernest Hemingway
Old 08-01-06, 09:05

It is a question I have often ask my-self but I feel it is the challenge of going out and using your eyes to there full capacity to find, then create and capture a subject which is exclusively your personal interpretation whether it’s a picture of a landscape, wildlife or a portrait.
Old 08-01-06, 09:35

I am not much of a people person but wildlife and scenery do stir my emotions and i try to capture that moment.
Old 08-01-06, 10:21

Most of my photos tend to be taken whilst I'm out with my youngest dog - she gets to gallop I get to focus on the birds. I also photograph dogs - many at shows etc. during the summer. I find, with regard to birds the photos fall into to main groups - firstly it's trying to get a shot, any shot, of something unusual or that I have'nt seen around here before, and secondly trying to gradually improve the quality of the pictures I take of birds that are around all the time. That is the great joy of digital. It is so mch easier to get the practice you need when attempting something new. The slight downside is the need to be a bit ruthless with what you keep or the volume of pictures can overwhelm you.
To some degree it's the challenge of actually capturing what you're seeing - if it's not quite as good as you'd like it's a spur to try again. If it was too easy it would'nt be worth doing!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/greypoint/sets/
Old 08-01-06, 11:08

I try to capture and share the beauty in life. I am not succeeding, but it is great fun trying.