WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > General Photography > The Photography Forum

The Photography Forum General Photography Related Discussion.

Are you a giver or taker....or both

Old 01-11-10, 03:16

I mainly comment on the images I like, I certainly am not qualified to critique, but I will sometimes offer my opinion on something I might do differently. I have had so much help from the very kind people on this site,and had a lot of fun along the way, I started joining in the comp to learn my way around the computer as I didn't have a clue when I started.
I find the comp gives me something new to try each fortnight,even if it is trying to find a different angle on an everyday subject. I do tend to post a lot in the gallery,the main thing for me is to have fun & keep learning.

Trena
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep. : Scott Adams

Last edited by Tugboat; 01-11-10 at 07:44.
Old 01-11-10, 10:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tugboat View Post
I certainly am not qualified to critique, but I will sometimes offer my opinion on something I might do differently.
Trena, that brought a smile to my face. That's a distinction so fine, I can't see it. You, like ANY other member are qualified to critique. The only qualification you need is to have an opinion that you can explain to others.
Old 02-11-10, 03:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by yelvertoft View Post
The only qualification you need is to have an opinion that you can explain to others.
I probably needed to say I am not that confident with explaining my thoughts !!!! I'll keep practicing that too...

forgot to mention, nice images Clive, I agree, crop to suit the image

Trena
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep. : Scott Adams
Old 03-11-10, 19:40
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tugboat View Post
...forgot to mention, nice images Clive, I agree, crop to suit the image
Thanks Trena... but that's a different thread

rofl2.gif
Old 03-11-10, 22:06

lol...woops..I'm not very good at this ,am I.

Trena
Old 04-11-10, 14:29

Giver or taker...? A bit of both I think, and it varies a lot as well. In the past I have tended to use the gallery as a test bed for images that I think have some merit, but have also tried to give advice on field technique and constructively critique images where I feel I have something useful to say.
As with a lot of people on this thread, I have gone through what felt like a stale patch in my photography, and hence havent posted any images on here for several months - thinking about it now, I dont know why it has felt stale, as I have had two images placed on a nationally distributed calendar, and several more used in advertising and publicity for various Mountain Rescue things in my own team and others. I have been successful with image sales for fund-raising, and I have even had requests for some images to go in a book, so things cant actually be that flat!
At last however, I am managing to find time to get out in the landscape with my camera and make some images after what has felt like a really long gap, and that is what I enjoy most in photography. It feels good to be out again, so you might see a few more images from me soon.
Old 04-11-10, 16:52

That is interesting Gordon, perhaps it is sometimes easier to shoot for a project, especially if there is a deadline set by somebody else, than get in the right frame of mind on a more casual basis for oneself?
Old 04-11-10, 17:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketoll View Post
perhaps it is sometimes easier to shoot for a project, than get in the right frame of mind on a more casual basis for oneself?
Maybe so. And as someone said earlier, perhaps when you have refined your subject matter and approach so far, you need a break to come back to it with fresher eyes. The slightly frustrating thing is that the images that have gone down well in sales and usage terms are ones that I consider not much more than snapshots - I havent yet found an outlet for the landscape images, which are the ones I actually put some effort into.
In addition, the stale feeling co-incided with the summer season, which is a time of year I have always struggled with in landscape images - it just doesnt really suit how I see my local Dark Peak moors. Next year I think I need to get down to the limestone dales of the White Peak during the summer and find some more suitable subject matter.
Old 04-11-10, 17:45

I guess in the early days of WPF I was very much a taker. I understood film photography but digital and the processing element was a total mystery. I still do not do any of the fancy photoshop stuff, but without the givers input I would probably still not have much idea. Thinks back to last year and my dabble with Infrared. Tech stuff on getting an image was easy enough as I had done it on film, but without Harry's help on processing I would have given that up.

You guys know who you are and I cannot thank you enough for all the help you gave back then.

Other things on the bubble so I am not here as often as I used to be, but I hope after my initial take, take, I have been more of a giver.

Don
Old 04-11-10, 17:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketoll View Post
............ perhaps it is sometimes easier to shoot for a project, especially if there is a deadline set by somebody else, than get in the right frame of mind on a more casual basis for oneself?
Thinking back to my work advertising/promo stuff that gave me a chuckle Mike.
That was pressure, pressure and very little fun when deadlines were not really realistic. Now I can take as long as I like, and the only pressure is from the boss to clear up if I do it in the house rather than my workshop.

Don