WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > General Photography > The Photography Forum

The Photography Forum General Photography Related Discussion.

Football Tips

Old 05-02-10, 19:26

Lightbulb Football Tips

Thinking of taking my camera to footy tomorrow, anyone got any tips, shutter speed and other settings
Old 05-02-10, 21:35

I have only taken a few shots of my son playing rugby in very low light and freezing cold. I could at least move up and down the pitch to follow the action which helped and it gave me a good low viewpoint. I used a 70-300 zoom which was a fine choice, used centre focusing point, servo focus and a high an ISO as needed to keep the shutter speed up which on a Canon 20D was 1600 ISO. Must have another go sometime, I am sure there will be others on the forum with more experience of this type of photography who will be able to help you more.
Old 06-02-10, 01:32

Looking forward to taking some pictures, I can get close to the action as there is only a two yard gap around the pitch. I have a D40x with a 70-200 zoom which I think will be fine.
Old 06-02-10, 09:04

I did a bit of football photography last year. The tip I'd give would be to wait until the action is very close before you think about pressing the button. Then wait until it's even closer before you take the picture.

It's very easy to see what you want to see in the viewfinder, without realising there's a lot of empty space that will only be obvious when you look at the pictures later. If you think you're close, you're probably not close enough.