WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Technique > Flash Photography Technique

Flash Diffusion

Old 04-04-08, 18:19
Super Moderator

Following the tip from Duncan / MattMatic, had another go at dancing on Tuesday night.

Now unfortunately the Metz CT 45 can not be used in TTL mode (the CL 45 'digital' can if you have the right adaptor). However undaunted I metered the ambient light at somewhere between 1/30 to 1/50 at f 5.6 ISO 1600 so I set the camera on manual with that f stop & ISO with the shutter speed set to 1/50. I set the Metz on Auto but next problem was maximum setting for ISO of 1000 so I set this for 800 and f 4 which should give the same light output. In fact I was finding some of the whites a bit blown out particularly if the dancers were close to me so I reduced the f stop to f 2.8 and still used the diffuser that I used previously

I think the shadows are definitely softer than the ones I posted previously (and I still had to add some "fill light" in Lightroom.) Maybe I should have reduced the shutter speed still further to allow even more ambient light.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Solihull WCS-8316.jpg (87.8 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg Solihull WCS-8326-Edit.jpg (103.0 KB, 17 views)
Old 04-04-08, 18:24

A lot less "cardboard cut-out" effect with these ones. A real improvement.
Old 22-05-13, 10:51

Default Thank you Guys

Thank you for posting this guys this may help me! I am still a newbie with it comes to photography flash, I always end my photos getting blurred so thanks for sharing this tecchnique