WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Technique > The Digital Darkroom

The Digital Darkroom The In-Computer editing forum.

Reptilian Drainer: How to:

Old 07-02-09, 15:50

Default Reptilian Drainer: How to:

How to: Reptilian Drainer, or similar.

This is how I do it; please feel free to inform me where I’m going the long winded way on anything that follows!

I’m using CS2; I think other versions will be similar. On the page I have the toolbar open on the LH side showing all the tools such as clone, dropper, burn, etc; etc. On the right I have the Layers box open.

Now having opened the sample pic, (Drainer base), you will see that in the Layers box the current layer is highlighted blue with a padlock showing; double click on that highlighted blue area & a box saying ‘new layer’ will open; just click OK. This takes the padlock sign away.

For ease expand the workspace then with keys ‘alt –‘ reduce the size of the image on screen.

On the top menu bar click ‘edit’ then ‘transform’ then ‘perspective’. Then a box will surround the image with 8 square blocks the can be dragged / slid to adjust the perspective of the shot so you can kind of get a more evenly balanced image. When you like what you’ve got hit enter. You will see here why I said the shrink the image you are working on when you start to adjust the slide blocks in ‘perspective’.

Next crop the image so you’ve only got the interesting curvy bits & shadows showing. Be ruthless here.

Now get the image size to something not too large; I’d say 1200 pixels on the longest side. To do this click ‘image’; image size & then if not already showing the measurement in pixels use the drop down boxes to change as such. Note that ‘pixels’ are my current preference here, you may have others. Also make sure all 3 boxes are ticked within the image size box; I only ever change the ‘constrain proportions’ box but that would / may be in a later process. Move the whole image to the bottom RH side of your screen so as it’s out of the way for the time being.

Now; ‘file’, ‘new’, then an options box opens; I choose ‘A4’ with a ‘white background’. Click OK. Then from the foreground / background colour option tool choose black as the foreground colour by double clicking the foreground square then choosing black. Then choose the ‘paint bucket’ tool and click over the white background, this will then fill black.

Click into your original image so as you are working on that image. Then click the top RH tool in the toolbox; the ‘move tool’. Then drag & drop that original image onto the black background. The Layers box at the top RH side will now be highlighted blue to indicate that you are working on that image.

In that same layers box there is a dropdown option which will currently show as ‘normal’. This is the important bit to remember, you MUST activate that dropdown box and click an option so as it is highlighted blue, the relevant option is then activated.

When working with a black background I find it best to use the ‘lighten’ option & alternatively when using a white background use the ‘darken’ option for this particular technique.

Although you in theory have moved your original image onto the black background you will find it is still there; click back onto that image & then go; ‘image’, ‘rotate canvas’, ‘flip horizontal’; then click the ‘move’ tool & drag & drop again. At this point you will find that your images won’t merge together but they will when you follow the previously mentioned procedure about the dropdown options in the layer box, again activating the ‘lighten’ option.

The way then to move each image around on the black background is the activate the relevant layer you require by clicking it in the layers box.

At this stage you should be able to see where the patterns merge creating an interesting effect.

Right now go ‘layer’ in the top menu bar then from that dropdown option list click ‘flatten image’. You have now made this one single flat image.

Then crop away all the excess black background.

With the image that is left you can now adjust to your tastes in ‘levels’ ‘curves’ etc; etc; to your desired taste.

Then do the same process virtually from the start to create another blend of this new image but use ‘flip vertical’ instead of ‘flip horizontal at the appropriate stage. Be brave & see how the more you overlap the images the more intricate the designs become.

Don’t forget to flatten the image at the end of the process.

Once you have achieved this go into the layers option in the top options menu; click ‘duplicate layer’ then ‘OK’.

Then click ‘filter’, ‘distort’ & ‘pinch’ & in pinch slide the slider to the far RH side to give maximum effect.

Then go & activate the layer options in the dropdown box in the layers box at the top RH side of your screen, click ‘normal’ but once this is activated you can slowly scroll down to see the different effects you get, once you’ve got to the ‘difference’ option you should be able to get a vague idea of where I’m coming from! I HOPE!

What you’ve done here is merge the previous image with the ‘pinched’ image creating a more complicated pattern. For other effects try ‘spherise’ or go into the blur options & choose radial blur, zoom.

Well, then say ‘goodbye’ to your family & friends for a while as it can become quite addictive.

My attitude is to play & see what emerges rather than to have a pre defined image in my mind.

Hope this helps.

Al.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg drainer base.jpg (284.0 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg stage2.jpg (305.8 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg stage 3.jpg (411.8 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg stage 4.jpg (242.8 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg stage 5.jpg (524.3 KB, 11 views)