WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > General Photography > News & Views from the World of Photography

News & Views from the World of Photography Discussion on the Latest News in the World of Photography

Bill Odie ...

Old 17-01-06, 21:54

Default Bill Odie ...

... was on BBC 2 tonight with the first of a new session of How to Watch Wildlife - and very good it was too. But thing is - Spring won't be long now (in fact, we noticed the first snowdrops showing in out front lawn today), and it will soon be time to be out about with with our clicker-boxes. Really looking forward to it Yes, I know - we can take photos anytime of the year but Spring always gets my interest. So ... do any of you good folks have any special projects or ideas you would like to follow up on this year? For me it's just the desire to improve on my photograpghy in general (and perhaps win a compo or two maybe), we'll see eh

Ron

Last edited by Ron Clark; 17-01-06 at 21:56.
Old 17-01-06, 22:03

Yes Ron, the Bill Oddie prog was good.interesting to see the Golden Eagle harrassing the deer!!!.I am waiting for the Swallows to return in the hopes of managing some decent pictures.Had a great view of our local Kingfisher today,but weather too murky for a decent pic.

http://www.haverigg.com

http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/sho...00/ppuser/2356
Old 17-01-06, 22:15

I saw the bill oddie program too. The golden eagle harrassing that deer was amazing! the filming as usual was excellent. I especially liked the snow bunting. It was amazing how close he got to them, just beautiful.
This year I want to concentrate on my weather and macros photography (I need to buy some more lenses) as well as learning how to improve more on my wild bird photography now that I have my 500mm lens.
Old 18-01-06, 09:17
Super Moderator

I've been set the challenge to photograph 125 species of bird this year, I think it will be a stryggle, but am giving it a go. So far I've managed 30 species, so am off to a good start, but it will obviously get harder through the year.

Also I got a macro lens fairly late last year, so hope to get to grips with using that to good effect. I'm also very keep to explore perspective, I want to do a series of shots of familiar places taken at ground level - I want to take more bird shots from low level too.
Old 18-01-06, 10:33

125 is quite a few! I suppose it depends if you want to photograph them really well or if you also allow dots on the landscape I have been photographing birds for 2 years and still only managed 200 species. LOL pathetic I know. Still I m sure youll have a lot of fun trying.
Love the low level challenge. Especially with birds. Getting down low really does make a difference. I look forward to seeing your results.
Old 18-01-06, 10:54
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annette
125 is quite a few! I suppose it depends if you want to photograph them really well or if you also allow dots on the landscape
I'm hoping to get decent shots of all, though I might make exceptions for rare or especially tricky species - of the 30 so far most are reasonable shots (certainly all are easily ID'able). The only really poor one is the bittern, but I wasn't sure that I'd get another chance for one this year...

I'm keeping the list on BF, so you can see how I'm going throughout the year - http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=48796
Old 18-01-06, 11:14

Wow beautiful shots. I especially love the snowbunting and the coot running,brilliant. Thanks for the link will look on with interest. I hope you manage it.
Incidentally how did your wife come up with 125 and is she trying to get you out of the house lol
Old 18-01-06, 11:16

Annette
200 over 2 years isn't so bad. Jan and I have been birding for 20 odd years and less than that on our life list. The average for a year for us is about 150 – that’s just seeing them, not photographing them though. We regularly see around 30-40 species each year in our back garden and travel around the country to see the rest.

Ron
Old 18-01-06, 11:23
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annette
Wow beautiful shots. I especially love the snowbunting and the coot running,brilliant. Thanks for the link will look on with interest. I hope you manage it.
Incidentally how did your wife come up with 125 and is she trying to get you out of the house lol
Thanks I've been pleased with some of them - the snow bunting was good fun, but alas the light was so poor I was shooting at ISO1600 and 1/125th. I'm hoping to get back there one day soon in better light and give them another go.

I'd mentioned trying to get some more species photographed this year (as I want to build up my website) so my wife suggested going for a photo year list. The target figure of 125 is half the number of species I saw last year... but with another baby due at the begining of June I'll need to get a lot taken in the first five months.
Old 18-01-06, 12:25

Well happy snapping and good luck on your new arrival!