WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > General Photography > News & Views from the World of Photography

News & Views from the World of Photography Discussion on the Latest News in the World of Photography

Amateur Photographer this weeks freebie

Old 07-02-06, 21:00

Thumbs up Amateur Photographer this weeks freebie

For those that are able to get this magazine there is a freebie of a reflector or white balancer with this weeks issue.

I went for the reflector. Well worth the cover price. Its a bit like a mini Lastolite. 450mm diameter open, and 160mm folded up in its pouch, so it should fit in any camera bag.

The white balancer appears to be similar in size but with a grey surface finnish.

As they are inside a poly bag with the mag the clue as to what you get is that the reflector is in the white pouch

Don
Old 07-02-06, 21:31

I did exactly the same thing myself at 5pm noticed it while browsing the magazine rack. Better than a lot of the CD's usually offered.
Old 07-02-06, 23:48

Ditto - it's a diffuser as well as reflector so could be a really useful (sounding like Thomas the Tank Engine!) accessory

http://www.birdforum.net/pp_gallery/...00/ppuser/1805

'Write when there is something you know: and not before: and not too damned much after' Ernest Hemingway
Old 08-02-06, 17:39

Please note that there is also an article in this weeks AP suggesting how to take sunrise shots. The article is called 'capturing dawn' from memory.

It might help members who wish to enter our February photo competition.
Old 09-02-06, 09:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Hoey
For those that are able to get this magazine there is a freebie of a reflector or white balancer with this weeks issue.

I went for the reflector. Well worth the cover price. Its a bit like a mini Lastolite. 450mm diameter open, and 160mm folded up in its pouch, so it should fit in any camera bag.

The white balancer appears to be similar in size but with a grey surface finnish.

As they are inside a poly bag with the mag the clue as to what you get is that the reflector is in the white pouch

Don
I picked one up, what the hell, it would be worth the cover price, but it turned out to have a 1" rip down the side, and will probably fall apart on the first field trip.

My experience with reflectors is that some do not last long because the steel frame cuts the fabric, unless it is first wrapped in tape, which is not the case here. Oh well. Even expensive 12" ones do not last!

Leif
Old 09-02-06, 10:27

My Lady works for a company who distribute magazines to subscribers. I know that a publisher will send many more copies than required for a delivery run.

I would phone or write to AP explaining the situation and I am sure they have lots of spares.

My own diffuser/reflector is very crumpled and has a wire mark in the centre. I am not going to complain as I realise it must have been squashed during distribution.
Old 09-02-06, 18:53
Super Moderator

I got one from WH Smith today. Hey they are not bad.
Equipment= Canon 7D, 40D, 400 f5.6, 75-300, 100mm Macro, 18-55, Canon 70-200 f4, Tokina 12-24mm, Kenko pro 300 1.4,1.5 and 2.0x, Jessops ext tube set,
Canon 580 flash. Home made ring flash. . Close-lens.

Old 09-02-06, 22:11

If anyone wants my freebie,just pm me with their address and I will post.No use to me,I haven't a clue as to what to do with it!!!.There are no instructions for use!!!

http://www.haverigg.com

http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/sho...00/ppuser/2356
Old 10-02-06, 18:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine
If anyone wants my freebie,just pm me with their address and I will post.No use to me,I haven't a clue as to what to do with it!!!.There are no instructions for use!!!
Christine. Hang on to it and play with it! If you have the translucent screen, well it is very useful. For example you might be photographing plants in direct sunlight, in which case you can use it to soften the light, so it is less harsh. In that case use a reflector to lighten the shadows too. Alternatively if you want to take an indoor shot of an object - such as an item to sell on ebay - use the screen to soften the light from your studio lamps. My studio lights are very expensive (£5 a pop) quartz halogen desk lamps from Asda. I can hear you cooing in awe at my kit. Using a diffuser reduces highlights, and softens shadows.

Leif
Old 10-02-06, 21:34

Freebie,has now found a new home.Sorry,Pete.

http://www.haverigg.com

http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/sho...00/ppuser/2356