WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > General Photography > The Photography Forum

The Photography Forum General Photography Related Discussion.

Photography Blues

Old 06-10-10, 16:02

Default Photography Blues

Hi everyone

I'm in a bit of a low point regarding photography, after the excitement of a summer holiday abroad will all kinds of interesting things to photograph I'm back in my dull suburban neighbourhood of east-central Reading. No landscapes, no nature, no wildlife, no particularly inspiring architecture, just the tedium and grind of everyday life (can't carry my SLR around with me, little time for togging) and no inspiration at all. Just about every single famous photographer - even most of the members of this forum - produce(d) images in interesting places: Yosemite, Yellowstone, the wilds of Scotland, the Southern coast, the Welsh countryside, big cities... I seem to be stuck with nothing around me. I know you can *theoretically* make art or good photography out of anything but it's no coincidence that most famous photos were made in pretty famous places.

Can anyone help!?
Old 06-10-10, 18:25

What about trying abit of street photography...knowing reading, i know there's lots of colourful characters about.....my town is pretty dull as well, but i haven't got the bottle. Id love to do a character study into the homeless and alcoholism in my area.

Last edited by surfg1mp; 06-10-10 at 18:28.
Old 06-10-10, 18:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfg1mp View Post
What about trying abit of street photography...knowing reading, i know there's lots of colourful characters about.....my town is pretty dull as well, but i haven't got the bottle. Id love to do a character study into the homeless and alcoholism in my area.
Therein lies the problem ... a lot of street photography just ends up being endless photos of tramps and beggars. I have tried street photography and I certainly haven't got even remotely close to having a decent image. Maybe I've been here too long (14 years) it just seems that nothing at all seems to be happening, it seems very dull.
Old 06-10-10, 19:43

Join the club Alex. I always have the "blues" this time of year.
Terribly boring on the east coast of Lincolnshire, fortunately the moors (Yorkshire) are close by, so if the weather is favourable over the weekend, that's where I'll be.

harry
Old 06-10-10, 22:27

What about autumn colours?
Old 07-10-10, 07:43

What about looking closer to home? There's lots of objects around the house, lots of interesting patterns of light playing around in rooms, lots of different textures in everyday things. Photography isn't just about lanscapes, be they rural or urban.
Old 07-10-10, 14:14

It was this time of year 2 years ago when I had the idea to photograph along a local footpath, I was going to do it at different seasons, etc. Anyway I started off and pushed open the door local church at the top of a hill.
http://professor-moriarty.com/moriar...sley-st-marys/
Old 07-10-10, 17:38

I'm sometimes on the verge of giving up photography - especially when I see what others produce. However, try setting yourself the task of taking one a day - it's amazing how difficult it is, but it's rewarding and forces you to look for a subject.
Old 07-10-10, 19:00

interesting thread.....think most people have been here at one point or another,and yes there is always a photo to be had everywhere and anywhere,the location is to some point irrelevant,its how you see things that is far more important.However when i have the time,but not the inclination/incentive or motivation,then i will not take any shots at all and wait until the creative juices start flowing......

As Mike says above , sometimes looking on here can be a double edged sword,i frequently am amazed at the quality,and at the same time dismayed that i would not be able to compete......

The inspiration will always come back,you mebbe need to change something in your routine to notice it, but thats what keeps it entertaining and for me lots of fun.....

Old 08-10-10, 21:12

Understand the problem Alex, what about two areas I personally am very weak in, still life and abstract? That brings in almost anything - open the fridge and make something of whatever is inside it photographically speaking. Old tools, kitchen utensils, the list and possibilities are endless. Look for patterns and make those the subject. All you need is imagination (where I am weak) and the skill with composition and lighting. You can certainly teach yourself a lot this way and then apply the knowledge elsewhere.