WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Photographic Accessories

Photographic Accessories Discussion on other Photography related Equipment. Tripods, Luggage and suchlike.

New printer required

Old 03-08-08, 20:28

Default New printer required

My 3 year old Epson Stylus Photo R300 printer has given up the ghost after intensive use producing prints up to A4 size. The error message that comes up implies that the ink pads need replacement - I assume it would be as cheap to buy a new printer as to have these replaced. What replacement printer of a similar specification and standard would members recommend? It doesn't have to be an Epson.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Ropy
Old 10-08-08, 13:46

Hi,
I would suggest you look at the Canon range of printers, I have a Canon IP3300 and it gives excellent results. It has four cartridges black, cyan, magenta and yellow which I have refilled at my local Cartridge world and they even reset the chips, giving me an economical printer.

Alan
Old 10-08-08, 19:32

The PC Pro magazine has the Canon Pixma iP 4500 on their 'A' list and other mags rate it tops too. If you search around on the net it should be about £62. The Epson Stylus Photo R285 is a great photo printer but not good at ordinary printing if that worries you.
Old 11-08-08, 07:18

I use Epson and find with the individual ink cartridges they are more cost effective, but then my R1800 takes 8. I have yet to find another printer that so closely matches what I see on screen, but maybe that's because I've spent time profiling my output.

Now that the new replacement Epsons are out, I imagine prices will drop and while you may not want anything as expensive as a R1800, the others should see a drop in price too.

My New Website
Old 11-08-08, 07:59

I have the little brother of Derek's printer the R800 (A4 version of R1800). A little expensive but well worth it IMO, excellent print quality with 8 individual cartridges.

MY WEB SITE
MY PHOTOSTREAM
Old 11-08-08, 12:04
Super Moderator

I'm a big fan of Epson printers too - I'm on my third - a 1290S which seems to just keep going & going. I almost wish it would pack up giving me an excuse to buy a 2400

As Derek says, what ever your printer, profiling is key (both monitor & each different printer paper/ink combination) if you want what you see on screen to be reproduced accurately in your prints.
Old 12-08-08, 09:43

Hi there - I am also a big fan of Epson printers. I have 3 - an Epson Stylus Color 900 which is still going strong after 5 years. An R1800 for A3 photos and an Aculaser C900 for my bulk church booklets. Never had any problems with any of them - have tried many other makes through work - keep coming back to Epson.

http://www.pbase.com/andy153

http://andy153.smugmug.com/

Equipment: Nikon - More than enough !!!
Old 20-10-10, 10:28
DanBrown

Hello! I like HP printers...I have HP Designjet T770 and very satisfied in it!
Old 31-10-10, 19:27

I don't do a great deal of printing, but my wife is always printing stuff. Last year the 2 year old RX560 had an ink incident, where it dispensed a splotch of ink across the page, we found out that it was impossible to clean. I ended up reconnecting the old HP and using the RX560 for rough drafts until the smearing went away.
Old 28-12-10, 13:10

Wink

Hello! I love Canon printers. A few month ago I bought a1 printer (Canon imagePROGRAF iPF650) and I pleased by this purchase. I think Canon printers are very userfriendly and qualitative...I've been surprised by the quality of photos.
p.s. If you will have any questions about this printer I'll answer to you with pleasure.

Thanks!