WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Off Topic > Computers and The Internet

Computers and The Internet This is the place to ask questions and discuss the complex world of computer and internet issues.

Firefox 2.0.0.4 for mac

Old 02-06-07, 10:58
Chris

Default Firefox 2.0.0.4 for mac

The bug that in 2.0 stopped one getting rid of the TAB bar has now been fixed, so I withdraw my recommendation to stay with 1.5

The tool bar is also slightly less garish, tho usually I turn that off too except to use search or feed in url, as command+ back/forward arrows, command+r and escape keys do all the necessary

....in the general fight to obtain max space for the real window, which BTW you can also do with PS, where tab key removes all the clutter in one go (needs 1 file open & separate Layers window first so as to be able to turn it on when needed).
Old 02-06-07, 12:44

Firefox 2.0.0.4 is all I know so cannot comment any short comings of other versions. After using FF for all of 5 days I think its excellent with a better feel than an equivalent version for Windows PC.

The Spell Checker in FF is brilliant much easier than the 'check spelling' icon in Internet Explorer so I can correct my spelling and typo's as I type.

Has anyone tried Thunderbird as a mail client, its from the same people as Firefox and works much better than 'Mail' in OS X.

(Ark at me, Mac commentator)
Old 02-06-07, 17:27

I know a few people who've tried Thunderbird (on PC though) and rave about it. Never had any feedback from mac users.
Old 03-06-07, 20:22
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Fox View Post
Has anyone tried Thunderbird as a mail client, its from the same people as Firefox and works much better than 'Mail' in OS X.

(Ark at me, Mac commentator)
I have no problem with Mail (1.3.11), but will look at Thunderbird out of curiosity.

BTW I never download e-mail to my computer without previously having hand-weeded out the spam and ephemera on web-mail first, so don't have an 'unruly inbox' as Thunderbird is meant to cure. Mail does make it dead easy to have mailboxes classified by subject and or date range and drag any newcomers into them, and, at the other end back up important ones more carefully.
Old 04-06-07, 10:27
Chris

OK have looked at Thunderbird and it fails first 3 tests
57MB as opposed to 5Mb for Mail
Auto-downloads instead of allowing weeding on web-mail first
Help is online instead of stitched into the mac help on the computer

Didn't seem too obvious how to set up for multiple accounts nor reduce toolbar to sensible proportions, but lost interest after the above anyway
Old 08-07-07, 08:50

I am back using OS X mail.

One of the biggest hurdles when switching from PC is transferring mail from MicroSoft outlook. I converted all mail using Outlook to Eudora, downloaded Eudora for PC then transferred to .mbx and copied across using a network. Thunderbird was supposed to read .mbx format but did not.

OS X mail did!

I did not find mail too easy to filter or add additional accounts but the help as daedal suggests is very useful.
Old 08-07-07, 22:00
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Fox View Post
I am back using OS X mail.

I did not find mail too easy to filter
As far as I can see todays spammers and hackers will get past almost any filter, but for what it is worth, the e-mail I have had for 10 years but nearly gave up on a couple of years back, freeuk.com , now does a pretty good job for you pouncing on any formulaic ones within a few hours. The web-mail is very fast and not an ad in sight, so can do final hand weed in a few secs then do a mailbox>get new mail>from command and then no junk gets to the computer in the first place. For servers that do not have a web-mail option, mail2web.com does the same job for any number of addresses, but not quite so fast.