WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Technique > Macro Photography Technique

Macro Photography Technique Discussions on Macro Photography

Two lighting set ups for Rev 50 stacked lens

Old 15-11-06, 02:32

Don: I would love to see the results produced with the 28 and tubes..... Take care....Alex
I know they are soft, I know they are out of focus, I know they lack contrast, I know my sensor needs to be cleaned, I know they are noisey, I know I should crop a little off the left side, I know I should find another hobby, but other than that how do you like them??..
Gear: Yes
Old 15-11-06, 10:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Paul View Post
Don: I would love to see the results produced with the 28 and tubes..... Take care....Alex
Alex,

If it is not tipping down with rain when I get back this afternoon I will do a bug hunt.

Don
Old 15-11-06, 18:02

Hi Don....Good luck... I would love to see how it goes....Take care....Alex
I know they are soft, I know they are out of focus, I know they lack contrast, I know my sensor needs to be cleaned, I know they are noisey, I know I should crop a little off the left side, I know I should find another hobby, but other than that how do you like them??..
Old 15-11-06, 21:43

Alex,

Results from today.

I tried the 28mm reversed onto tubes but magnification was no increase on what you are currently getting and the viewfinder is really quite dim making it hard to even find the subject never mind focus on it.

I tried a different tack. Reverse the 28 onto a 2x converter. Now my converter is pretty rubbish ( recyled coke bottle job ), so look on these images from a magnification point of view only. This combo reduces the field of view to 5.5mm. Considerable magnification increase on 50 reversed on to a 200 at 11mm field of view.

A quality 1.4 converter would no doubt produce better quality at a bit less magnification. For anyone trying this, ensure all glass surfaces are clean. Any crud will show up very sharply on the image.

The downside of this degree of magnification is focusing. A focusing rail absolutely essential. I cheated and set this up on my milling table as I do not have a focusing rail but it proved the point.

Flash was as per your set up diffused about 8 inches from subject to get an aperture of f16. Then reduced to 1/2 power for the shot without converter.

The attatched images are all full frame. The first two are 2x converter with reversed 28 and the last just a reversed 28 for comparison. The subject is the dreaded green fly. Adults are around 2.8 to 3mm long. The warmth of the workshop seemed to have them multiplying at an alarming rate.

Don
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Conv & 28 rev 1.jpg (142.3 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Conv & 28 rev 2.jpg (130.0 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Reversed 28.jpg (195.9 KB, 11 views)
Old 15-11-06, 21:50
Super Moderator

Wow Don they are fantastic you have managed a good DOP considering its only f16. I haven't been able to find anything yet to make the attachment for reversing the lens. I would love to have a go.
Equipment= Canon 7D, 40D, 400 f5.6, 75-300, 100mm Macro, 18-55, Canon 70-200 f4, Tokina 12-24mm, Kenko pro 300 1.4,1.5 and 2.0x, Jessops ext tube set,
Canon 580 flash. Home made ring flash. . Close-lens.

Old 15-11-06, 22:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saphire View Post
Wow Don they are fantastic you have managed a good DOP considering its only f16. I haven't been able to find anything yet to make the attachment for reversing the lens. I would love to have a go.
I will do a trawl Christine. Have to admit mine was in my box of bits. I got it years ago after chasing hoverflys handholding the 50mm reversed . The things we do.

A 50mm reversed on a quality converter is also an option for less magnification.

Your gallery shot of these beasties was in my mind while I did these. Probably inspired the subject.

Don
Old 15-11-06, 23:22

Don: These are beautiful!!! You have me grinning from ear to ear.... Shots of insects being born.....How cool is that!!! Outstanding results.....You have me wanting to give this set up another go too. .. Excellent images!!... Thanks for posting these results with the set up information...Take care....Alex
Old 15-11-06, 23:43

Have fun Alex and remember to post results. I am sure you will.

A 1.4 converter should, although giving less magnification give greater DOF. In this case anything better than recyled coke bottle should give good results.

You will be pleased that working distance does not change by much. I did manage to tape the 28mm hood over the lens mount, so rear element was not too affected by the blast of light.

Don
Old 16-11-06, 04:34

Hi Don: Well I had a short go at it this evening. I got a couple of focused shots and you are absolutely right about the tubes.... Too dark for focus. At least for these eyes... I think in brighter light this is going to be a sweet set up to play with .... I am getting an error code and shut down trying to use my Tc.... I'll have to investigate it....Err 001. The other immediate impression I have is that the DOF is so shallow unless turned down to f16 (for me anyway) which seems to be the sweet spot... Couldn't see through the lens for focus except under a bright light.... You are absolutely right about the need for a focusing rail.... This is a handful to hand hold steady.. After playing with it for a short period tonight I have a massive appreciation for your ability with it.. I won't post what I took tonight but I will take it out in daylight tomorrow for a real go at it.... I am thinking about rigging a focusing light for less than bright conditions in hopes that I will be able to see through it for focus at f16. A lot of my tiny stuff is taken at night. So the only real light is from the porch light. The other thing I need to do is to throw together a flash bracket. This evening I just shot it on the shoe... It worked fairly well but certainly could be better.....I checked out a lens magnification table and see that the 28 offers approx 2x direct on camera.... The couple of shots with tubes that I did manage had a beautiful frame fill with a midge and so you have me fired up to get used to this configuration.....I really like the fact that it is compact, light and sure does offer a better working distance than the stacked set up.. I have high hopes for being able to hand hold it effectively when I can actually see well enough to know I have hit focus..... I will keep at it....It won't beat me ... Your shots have me solidly inspired to give it a full effort.....Thanks Don...Now what I like better about the big moose of a thing I have been using... With the reversed lens needing to be wide open it doesn't restrict the light as much even with the additional glass of the main lens so focusing is much easier... I wouldn't have believed it if I didn't see it.... Of course this certainly allows for the easier focusing in marginal light...For instance when I am shooting the Piss Ants on the black hand rail with the porch light on, I can see the detail of the ants clearly.... With the rev28 I have to guess because I just can't quite see the detail cleanly unless the lens is wide open and of course at f2.8 the DOF is as deep as the thickness of a piece of paper. I managed to nail focus on a couple of shots but I got an Antennae or an eye in focus and the rest blurred out.... With the stacked set up shooting the main lens at f22 you get a reasonable depth of field and so it really is easier to address the bug and get more of it in focus.... Now this is all in marginal light not good light..... I was, and still am amazed at the depth attained in your shots today.....I can see that stopped down the 28 does a beautiful job.... Well I promise to post some shots taken tomorrow when I really get a chance to use it in the way that it shines and I see I have a learning curve ahead.... Thanks for motivating me to get using the set up and hopefully I can get enough out of it to consider leaving the big gun at home......Take care.....Alex

Last edited by Alex Paul; 16-11-06 at 04:36.