WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Technique > Macro Photography Technique

Macro Photography Technique Discussions on Macro Photography

Awesome insect images

Old 11-06-07, 20:47

Default Awesome insect images

If you have any interest in photographing insects, check out this site:

http://www.pbase.com/rovebeetle/mostly_beetles

Notice how small the beetles are. He has combined multiple images to get increased DOF. The pictures are quite outstanding, and illustrate how beautiful beetles can be. Creepy crawlies? Hardly.
Old 11-06-07, 21:09

BRILLIANT.

Hence my thoughts on a precision focussing stage.

Don
Old 11-06-07, 23:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leif View Post
If you have any interest in photographing insects, check out this site:

http://www.pbase.com/rovebeetle/mostly_beetles

Notice how small the beetles are. He has combined multiple images to get increased DOF. The pictures are quite outstanding, and illustrate how beautiful beetles can be. Creepy crawlies? Hardly.
Great site Leif, thanks
Old 12-06-07, 21:22

Beautiful creatures when seen like that. I just hope they were not killed deliberately just for the shot though as even with such small creatures that goes against the ethos of the wildlife photographer. What do others think?
Old 12-06-07, 22:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketoll View Post
Beautiful creatures when seen like that. I just hope they were not killed deliberately just for the shot though as even with such small creatures that goes against the ethos of the wildlife photographer. What do others think?
Funny you should ask that question. I recently asked just that question on Bird Forum:

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread....451#post914451
Old 13-06-07, 00:31

Mike's right, after all it makes it more challenging to try and creep up on the subject, if the shot works,great if not it can just become a tad frustrating.

Alan
Old 13-06-07, 15:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketoll View Post
Strange, but I came back to this thread to make a similar point. I can understand that for scientific study it may be "necessary" to kill the specimens but I am not prepared to do so just for the sake of getting a pretty photo. That is not to say that if I came across a dead specimen that I wouldn't take full advantage of the opportunity.

Dave
Old 13-06-07, 16:28

I agree with you Mike. When I looked at the site I went through the same thought process.

-----------------------------------------------------
Solar powered Box Brownie Mk2

Captain Sunshine, to be such a man as he, and walk so pure between the earth and the sea.

WPF Gallery
Birdforum Gallery
http://www.robertstocker.co.uk updated
Old 13-06-07, 17:19

I am with Intermos on Bird Forum. It is all about having a sense of proportion.

If you cut the grass, you kill lots of insects, maybe hundreds, and no-one cries "mass murder" or even cares. Go for a walk in the countryside and you walk on some. Go for a drive and you kill huge numbers, most on the windscreen and some under the tyres. Few of us have a second thought about splatting an irritating fly. So taking a few common beetles (one per species) is no big deal, as long as the habitat is not destroyed, and as long as there are plenty of the species about.

The real problem is that modern agriculture is destroying the habitat, with fields that are little more than deserts of grass for livestock, or deserts of food crops, with pesticides killing the few insects that can live in those deserts. That is why I donate small sums to conservation bodies such as the RSPB.

Personally I would feel ill at ease taking anything uncommon such as a Stag Beetle, which I feel is so magnificent that it should be left. But a Nettle Weavil? Or a common species of Ladybird?
Old 13-06-07, 17:50

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leif View Post
I am with Intermos on Bird Forum. It is all about having a sense of proportion.

If you cut the grass, you kill lots of insects, maybe hundreds, and no-one cries "mass murder" or even cares. Go for a walk in the countryside and you walk on some. Go for a drive and you kill huge numbers, most on the windscreen and some under the tyres. Few of us have a second thought about splatting an irritating fly. So taking a few common beetles (one per species) is no big deal, as long as the habitat is not destroyed, and as long as there are plenty of the species about.

The real problem is that modern agriculture is destroying the habitat, with fields that are little more than deserts of grass for livestock, or deserts of food crops, with pesticides killing the few insects that can live in those deserts. That is why I donate small sums to conservation bodies such as the RSPB.

Personally I would feel ill at ease taking anything uncommon such as a Stag Beetle, which I feel is so magnificent that it should be left. But a Nettle Weavil? Or a common species of Ladybird?
True but I still don't like deliberately killing just for my pleasure. As all wildlife is red in tooth and claw Leif's argument means it is for us to be judge and jury over what it is OK to deliberately kill so how about some birds or start some egg collecting and I'll decide what is OK - if its pretty I might let it live. Oh I am a stirrer aren't I? But it is interesting. However I'm not going to fall out with anyone.