WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Technique > Macro Photography Technique

Macro Photography Technique Discussions on Macro Photography

Awesome insect images

Old 13-06-07, 20:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketoll View Post
True but I still don't like deliberately killing just for my pleasure. As all wildlife is red in tooth and claw Leif's argument means it is for us to be judge and jury over what it is OK to deliberately kill so how about some birds or start some egg collecting and I'll decide what is OK - if its pretty I might let it live. Oh I am a stirrer aren't I? But it is interesting. However I'm not going to fall out with anyone.
No, you are going to an extreme, and misrepresenting my viewpoint. I suggest you take a read of the BF thread, and Intermos's posting. He makes some good points.

When I was young it was not uncommon to take birds eggs to blow, and collect. Today that is considered wrong, chiefly I presume because it would seriously threaten the survival of many species. However, people do go out and kill certain birds and catch certain fish for pleasure, and it does not threaten their survival. I do not oppose that, though some people do.

Many people would argue that birds are sentient, and they can display a considerable degree of intelligence, especially some parrots. No doubt that can suffer. Whereas an insect is an altogether different creature, with little in the way of a brain, and displaying simple stereotypical behaviour.

However I find some viewpoints contradictory. Some people who condemn taking a few common beetles, or bagging a pheasant will happily eat a battery hen that was imported as raw meat from the Far East, where the animal was kept in the most appalling conditions. Or buy pigs kept in appalling conditions, and transported long distances over land in cramped lorries (though the UK now has stricter laws than most of Europe on such matters). Or go to a 'wildlife centre' and see an animal that displays signs of neurosis due to confinement in a small unnatural space. They will also board an aircraft for a flight during which the engines will hoover up millions of insects and incinerating them.

So it is right to splat millions of insects on windscreens, to incinerate them in jet engines, to slice them up in lawn mowers, to walk on them, to kill them when taking a bath with soap, but not to kill a few to take some photographs that demonstrate to others how beautiful they are? Obviously it is a matter of personal opinion, but I find that view hard to understand.

In my opinion it is a matter of perspective and proportion.

Personally I do not eat meat, and I hate zoos and circuses, apart from living displays of lower creatures such as insects, and reptiles. But I do not condemn those who scoff meat at every opportunity.
Old 14-06-07, 09:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leif View Post
No, you are going to an extreme...........In my opinion it is a matter of perspective and proportion.
Well I did say I was stirring a little and you make some valid points and I agree with the second part of the quote the only trouble is there are people who would take some of your arguments (however valid they are) to the extreme and don't even care what happens to the environment and the ''dumb'' creatures in it as long as it does not directly impinge on their lives. At one end of the spectrum there are Buddhists who sweep the pavement in front of them as they walk so as not to stand on anything so sacrosanct is all life to them to the other end where there are people who don't care at all. We all consciously or unconsciously make our own judgement and more importantly so do governments. Personally I still would not deliberately kill anything just to take a photograph however illogical that is. I am happy to agree to differ - Pax!
Old 04-08-07, 10:00

Focus stacking can be done in the wild
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lordv/tags/focusstack/

Here is a tutorial
http://www.flickr.com/groups/macrovi...iscuss/163367/

and here is the yahoo group for combinez
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/combinez/

I've never had much success myself but then that is because I hand hold and move around the insect too much. You really need a tripod and focusing rail for this.
Old 07-09-07, 00:07

My brother is fascinated by micro photography. He's been given a Field Microscope 45 mag (Macroscope). He wants to photograph specimens through the macroscope. At present he has a Nikon Coolpix 7600 7.1 MP 3x zoom lens 7.8 - 23.4mm f2.8 - 4.9 and has been trying to work out a way of sleeving the camera to the macroscope. Has anyone overcome the problems involved and/or know of any relevant sites? I think we'll have another member soon!!! - he spends more time on his hobby than I can manage at present
Old 07-09-07, 16:16

I have only heard of connecting an SLR to a microscope with an adaptor and T mount not with a bridge camera but perhaps someone else knows better?