WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > General Photography > News & Views from the World of Photography

News & Views from the World of Photography Discussion on the Latest News in the World of Photography

Photography clubs

Old 07-02-06, 23:49

On many occasions I have visited the local clubs annual exhibition and have been tempted to join. Last year I plucked up the courage to go to one of their meetings as a free trial. I would say the mix was 65% men. The ages ranged from late 40's to 70's. A few were under the age of 30. The old "Generals" seemed to rule the roost if you know what I mean. It was not really my cup of tea so I decided not to join.

-----------------------------------------------------
Solar powered Box Brownie Mk2

Captain Sunshine, to be such a man as he, and walk so pure between the earth and the sea.

WPF Gallery
Birdforum Gallery
http://www.robertstocker.co.uk updated
Old 08-02-06, 09:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindyJo
Are photography clubs mainly made up of men or are they a mixed bag of people? I am interested in joining one but get the impression that it will be mainly middle aged men, not that i have a problem with middle aged men but i prefer a good mix of people.
Hi LindyJo,

Just noticed this is your first post, I'd like to extend a warm welcome to WPF. My own experience of camera clubs is very limited but I did find it was mainly middle aged men, that was nearly 20 years ago and things may well have changed a lot since then. WPF is a club of sorts, we have all sorts of members, any age, any gender, we have them all!

Duncan.
Old 10-02-06, 21:04

I am hoping to attend a meeting next week at a local photography group.

I have waited till now as the topic is wildlife orientated, something i have experience of, as opposed to photography biased which i am a total novice.

All being well i will give a few impressions of how it went.

For what it is worth Lindy i have similar apprehensions to yourself, hope i am proved wrong.
Old 10-02-06, 22:06
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindyJo
Are photography clubs mainly made up of men or are they a mixed bag of people? I am interested in joining one but get the impression that it will be mainly middle aged men, not that i have a problem with middle aged men but i prefer a good mix of people.
I've just done a survey for my own club and found that the membership is ~70/30 men to women with ~50/50 single/married & ~50% 60+/retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by robski
The old "Generals" seemed to rule the roost if you know what I mean.
This is a bit of the case at our club although I'm trying to change that. I joined the committee 2 yrs ago on the basis that you can't influence things from the outside. One of the drums I keep banging is we need more new younger menbers, both men & women. I'm also trying to get a "mentoring circle" and beginners basis pack/workbook off the ground. Having said all that, as I'm in my late 40s I suppose I fall into the "middle aged men" category - I just don't feel that I subscribe to the connotations that go with the tag
Old 18-02-06, 06:42

Had my first visit to a local group on Tuesday and i was made to feel welcome at the door, good start.

I had picked this as my first visit as one of the evenings subjects was Nature in close-up, something i have a little knowledge of (as opposed to photography).

A visiting judge gave a critique of each photo, awarding points and eventually a winner emerged.

My time on Birdforum had given me a decent background in wildlife pictures and i found myself at ease with the comments made by the judge,all of the photos were slides.

Part 2 of the evening was Portraits, i have no experience of this kind of subject so i sat back and listened carefully to all that was said.

The range of photos was extremely good one gentlemen had photos taken in the 1920's he is 84, and i learned he has just bought a digital camera.

All of these photos were prints, viewed by use of a light box, and the judge did a good job of explaining his thoughts, plenty of humour made his more telling points seem less harsh.

Afterwards refreshments were served, and a chance for a chat and the opportunity to close inspections of the prints helped round-off the evening.

The club are not really geared towards digital photos, so the only way to view this work would be through a print.

Members were 98% male, and predominantly aged 60+ most seem to be using film but are experimenting with digital.

I will attend a second time and i will try for a members night, hopefully seeing a greater range of images.

I also hope to find a few other local society's to check them out before i decide if this is for me.

Regards brian.
Old 18-02-06, 08:53
Admin

Thanks for that informative report, Brian, very interesting. I hope you keep us updated on your experiences at the local photographic club. 'Experimenting with digital' seems to conjure up visions of these people secretly indulging in something prohibited
cheers,
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuddy
Had my first visit to a local group on Tuesday and i was made to feel welcome at the door, good start........
Regards brian.
Old 18-02-06, 08:58

Sounds quite promising, Brian, though the fact that both topics covered were 'judged' and a winner declared means you might want to check that they do other things than purely compete with one another - over 60s ought to be taking it easy rather than getting stressed over whether so and so has scored more points than they have!

http://www.birdforum.net/pp_gallery/...00/ppuser/1805

'Write when there is something you know: and not before: and not too damned much after' Ernest Hemingway
Old 18-02-06, 09:32

Brian it sounds like your experience was much the same as mine. The club I visited did do a weekly photoshop night on the local schools PC's which were pretty clapped out and old versions of PS. This was not an area I wanted to expand as they were into major manipulation of images. Another regular feature was portrait nights. The other factor was the elitism of film over digital that most had. To be honest I have learnt far more from BF and WPF about digital than reading books or going to the club. I think if you enjoy the social aspect of the club then it has that in it's favour.

-----------------------------------------------------
Solar powered Box Brownie Mk2

Captain Sunshine, to be such a man as he, and walk so pure between the earth and the sea.

WPF Gallery
Birdforum Gallery
http://www.robertstocker.co.uk updated

Last edited by robski; 18-02-06 at 09:35.
Old 19-02-06, 18:34

Hello i will try to report any future ventures and experiences i have.

Rob i think the social aspect will be important to me and a broader range of ages and a better male / female split would be favourable.

The positive aspect is the club are meeting through the Winter months and this fits well with my Birding calender, this will allow me to build a portfolio of images that can be explored through club activities.

Of course i have got to take some photos that are worthwhile but that's in my own hands.
Old 19-02-06, 19:12

My own experience of joining a photographic club has been quite good.

They meet throughout the winter, and there appears a good split of male/female members. The qulity of images and degree of experience is quite broad.

There are regular competitions and new members are actively encouraged to enter prints slides etc for comment, experience etc.

There is a new members only competition towards the end of the winter programme and is encouraging.

There are regular talks and slide shows, outside judges to judge the various competitions, and also a chance for members including new ones to judge the internal competitions. I have judged twice (quite nerve racking I can tell you!) but a good chance to look closely at images for what they are composition, lighting, content etc. It is quite enjoyable.

There is a huge range of diversity of what people take photos of and it is interesting to see what others consider a good image.

Also there are regular workshops re still life, portraits etc including tasters on Photoshop manipulation.

The social side of it is quite good. Especially as I'm not particularly good at mixing, I have made a number of friends, and look forward to the evenings.

All in all I would say my experiences have been good, especially as a complete novice with an expensive camera who was'nt sure what a good image was.

I would encourage any newbie to attend.

Like all things in life there are always those who have an exagerated opinion of something, i.e. film or slide over digital, B&W over colour, etc.

However if you have an open mind and take from the experience that which you need it can only benefit your photography in the long run.

As an inexperienced photographer and a newbie to this fascinating discipline I hope those of a similar experience continue to get the most from a club or especaily WPF which is an ideal medium to get experience and advise in an subjective and non judgemental atmosphere.

Enjoy the experience!

Nogbad