WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > General Photography > News & Views from the World of Photography

News & Views from the World of Photography Discussion on the Latest News in the World of Photography

Jessops

Old 29-09-09, 15:21

Default Jessops

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8279911.stm

-----------------------------------------------------
Solar powered Box Brownie Mk2

Captain Sunshine, to be such a man as he, and walk so pure between the earth and the sea.

WPF Gallery
Birdforum Gallery
http://www.robertstocker.co.uk updated
Old 29-09-09, 15:44

Interesting Rob. Hope they survive or it will get more and more difficult to see products "in the flesh" for folks who do not live in the main towns.
Old 01-10-09, 14:24

Thanks Rob. Glad to see they finally look to be genuinely finding a way out of the massive debt situation and whole world of doodoo they have been in for quite a while now.
Old 05-10-09, 21:16
pdmac8

It would be a shame for Jessops as it's great to see camera's and equipment in real life but the staff in the Jessops in my home town deserve to lose their jobs as they are rubbish.
Old 07-10-09, 19:24

Quote:
staff in the Jessops in my home town deserve to lose their jobs as they are rubbish.
Or (more constructively), perhaps deserve to be properly trained, and reasured of their positions where neccessary
Old 07-10-09, 23:24

Definately a shame, most of the staff in our town are pretty good

Old 10-10-09, 18:54

Staff in my local branch are clueless! I went to buy my 600 f4 last month and they tried to say that they have a 2.8 version of this lens! When i said that would be the 400 they said i know nothing! I asked them to look it up and of course could not but they said that was because it was "new" - so far, still not 600 2.8 haha!
Old 27-10-09, 22:36

I would gladly see the back of them, rip off merchants.

I use our local Jessops to have a look at a piece of kit, if the have it, and then go on line to get it at a proper price.

As pointed out elsewhere, generally the staff are clueless.
Old 28-10-09, 08:06

Whilst I have no time for Jessops it is a handy store to view a piece of kit that you are interested in.
The staff are the most un-informed "experts" I have ever met, but if this outlet was to close a lot of people would not be able to view and handle new/existing kit.
In Birmingham we have a "World Photograpy Centre" which is a big store that used to be bustling with stock and people, it is now a shell with no customers and even less stock.
How times change, they really dropped the ball big time!
Old 28-10-09, 20:40

In Manchester we are blessed with a few options in terms of camera/ photographic stores, Jessops on Princess street, another in Trafford centre, Jacobs on Cross street, London Camera Exchange in Picadilly Gardens, Wildings on Deansgate, the usual electrical/electronics shops dotted around, and ourselves 'The Real Camera Company' on the corner of Lever st/Dale street.
In terms of condemning Jessops as the worst place/ staff I have to disagree. As a former employee might I offer my balanced view, and point out that the company finances got pretty much flushed down the toilet a couple of years ago, HOWEVER, as I am now led to believe, the underwriting bank (HSBC) has now basically let them off the hook (in terms of their immediate financial situation). As a regular pricehunter I can honestly say that Jessops prices have become very competitive just recently, and in some cases aren't much dearer than many websites with genuine UK stock. If I put myself in the shoes of many buyers, and also base my opinion on other buyers I've heard from, I would feel MUCH better buying the more expensive items in person from a high st shop. Some of the package deals about are most tempting. (though solid state memory really does need to be more competitively priced).
As far as staff are concerned, yes, not all will be as knowledgeable as the most well read. Ability does vary quite dramatically with those I met. However, very few I met did not have the desire to know more, and grasp extra background knowledge. I should imagine confidence is then easily knocked by the next browser thrusting ill informed opinion at them. A prime example the other day, a professional regular customer advising me how he converts jpg captures back to RAW to 'get the highlights back'!...... I can well imagine many on here would scoff, and shout the guy down rather than listen to his experiences, however,
its not necessarily about points scoring or ego messaging for staff (though can be for some customers and staff). I got my lens sale, lent him my ear, got some useful feedback on other kit he owns. He got a friendly chat, a bit of banter, a lens at a good price and I would hope enjoyed the experience, and we'll meet again.
I would hope (and expect) some staff training might well be on the cards in the future at Jessops, now that the company seems to be in a better position. On a positive note too, I would second guess that Jessops as a company could well improve.
I for one would like to see them remain on the high street.

Last edited by Joe; 28-10-09 at 20:53.