WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Photographic Accessories

Photographic Accessories Discussion on other Photography related Equipment. Tripods, Luggage and suchlike.

What memory card?

Old 15-10-09, 05:35

Default What memory card?

Has anyone used a 32gb memory card in a nikon D300 camera? I thought I'd lash out with a new card as I have just started to use raw format for my photos. I found some on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com.au/PhotoFast-32G...d=p3286.c0.m14. Any advice greatly appreciated.
Susy
Old 15-10-09, 13:37
Super Moderator

Hi Susy and welcome to WPF

I'm sorry to say that I can't be any help with your query as I don't use a Nikon and my biggest memory card is 8gb! I shoot RAW too but prefer to shot on smaller cards to avoid loosing to many shots if I'm unlucky enough to have another card fail on me.
Old 15-10-09, 17:17

Have to agree with Peter (postcardcv) on this one regarding size. I wouldn't risk losing that many pictures by having them all on a single card. The biggest card I have holds about 160 RAW files, that's quite enough pictures to be risking thank you very much.

I'd also check that the D300 can read a card as big as 32GB, this is getting seriously large and the camera may not be designed to cope with this size. Perhaps a Nikon expert can shed some light on this?

I'd be very wary about buying ANY cards from ebay, the place is rife with counterfeit "branded" cards, and very poor quality cheap unbranded cards. If you are risking your personal memories, I'd say go with a big name brand such as Lexar or SanDisk and buy from a local shop or trusted mail order supplier.

Oh, and welcome to WPF.

Duncan
Old 16-10-09, 10:16
Super Moderator

I'm with Duncan & Peter - I've only just bought cards bigger than 1mb - got 2 x 4mb cards from 7dayshop and even then I'm nervous about filling them - 300+ images. When I shot a wedding last week I kept changing cards when they got to about 200 ... just in case you get card failure
Old 16-10-09, 17:38

Hmmmm....... I think there's a lot of paranoia about failing cards..... I've not had a failure, nor have I known anyone who has in around 6-7 years...... Saying that, I'm a bit of a hypocrit and use multiple small cards (4Mb or less) myself, 'just in case'

Old 16-10-09, 18:13

deci,

I've never had a "failure" either, except for the one I ran over with the wheels on an office chair. I'd also put the risk of physical loss much higher than electronics failure. Failure comes in many flavours.
Old 16-10-09, 20:23
Super Moderator

I've had two CF cards fail on me and they went within two months of each other - on both occassions I lost images that I could not re-take. I tried recovery software both times with no luck and the card manufacturer also tried without any luck.
Old 16-10-09, 22:39

I've had 2 cards fail on me in the last 6 years , I did read somewhere that on average you are likely to experience a card failure once every 3 or 4 years.

-----------------------------------------------------
Solar powered Box Brownie Mk2

Captain Sunshine, to be such a man as he, and walk so pure between the earth and the sea.

WPF Gallery
Birdforum Gallery
http://www.robertstocker.co.uk updated
Old 17-10-09, 08:57

Hi there Susy, welcome to WPF, enjoy the forum. I no longer have my D300 but when I did I used 8 GB cards. They are plenty big enough. I would be very wary about buying cards off the internet. I got caught with a fake which worked but was so slow that the buffer kept filling after a few shots and took forever to download to the computer. I think you will find something like Sandisk Extreme III or Lexar Pro 8 GB work perfectly with the D300 if bought from a reputable dealership. They are the cards I used. Apart from the fake card I have never suffered a card failure.

http://www.pbase.com/andy153

http://andy153.smugmug.com/

Equipment: Nikon - More than enough !!!

Last edited by andy153; 17-10-09 at 09:02.
Old 17-10-09, 12:40

I've been using dealer bought Sandisk Extreme cards as well........ maybe thats why no failures?