WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > General Photography > News & Views from the World of Photography

News & Views from the World of Photography Discussion on the Latest News in the World of Photography

Canon 7d

Old 12-12-10, 20:50

Default Canon 7d

Hi,

is Canon 7d a good idea to invest into?

I like that I could use all I have (lenses, flash. ....). I like also 1.6 sensor. I did not see any amazing pictures yet, so I'd like your opinion.

Susan

"You don't take a photograph, you make it." Ansel Adams
Old 12-12-10, 23:25

I upgraded from an original 20D to a 40D and was rather underwhelmed in that although the 40D was a better camera there was no great increase in picture quality. I then upgraded to the 7D and WOW. Quite a learning curve for things like autofocus settings (so many options) but the picture quality is frankly amazing. With a first class lens it really shines, with a lower class lens it is limited by the lens. In other words it reveals the differences in your lens, it does not make a lower class worse but reveals what you are paying for with a top class lens. The camera itself is well made, very responsive and is allows heavy cropping without visible loss of quality. I still have the 40D as a "backup" but I have never used it since getting the 7D. Just love the 7D, can't recommend it highly enough. Widely recognised as probably the best camera in this sector of the market, certainly the one to beat.
Old 13-12-10, 01:12

Whether it is a good investment depends much on how good a tool it is for the job in hand. It's an expensive toy if you can't take advantage of all it's features.

Having joined the 7d club as of yesterday I can talk about the process of deciding and and limited experience using the camera.

I started off with a 300D which is much in the vein of the 10D and D60. I upgraded to a 20D because it was much more responsive for wildlife photography. The 20D saw plenty of use and got pretty battered and soaked out in the field. The next step was the 40D. Nice not to worry too much about sensor cleaning and can move comfortable up to ISO800 if required. I would say the main let down is the focus tracking on small moving targets. Lucky to get 40% to 50% in acceptable focus.

A few years ago I would of said my next camera would of been the 5D Mk2. With focus moving away from outside wildlife to indoor studio work. Then the 7D came out with some nice features and then I was undecided. Thoughts of buying a new camera soon disappeared when I was made redundant this time last year. As luck would have it I managed to pick some part time work and I still have some cash in my next camera fund. It maybe my last chance to upgrade for a long while so bit the bullet before the VAT increase.

The 5D Mk2 was more than I could afford but still looked into it to see if it was much better. The main complaint appears to be it's lack of focus points and slow to respond. Which is not much different to the 40D. So no benefit there. On the ISO noise front from the samples I've seen it appears to be only 1 stop better than the 40D and 7D. If it had been 2 stops I would of been interested. Which only left narrower DOF and larger viewfinder which I've managed to live without for the last 6 yrs.

My main concern with the 7d with it's higher resolution was a higher ISO noise factor over the 40D. On looking at sample before buying the 7D seems to be very much on par with the 40D. To be honest I would of preferred a 15Mp sensor with much improved noise. So noise reduction remains part of the workflow.

7d files may have a big impact of your workflow. PC power for larger files and compatible software to open 7d RAW files.

The other option was the new 60D. I was quickly put off by the reduced build quality and the articulated screen.

So what factors swung the balance.

Noise was on par with 40D
Improved focus system and increased number of focus points
Very Good Build quality
Pop up flash can act as a master to my EX430 & EX580 - saved money in not having to buy a transmitter.
Extra cropabilitiy.

I would echo Mike comment about the extra resolving power with L lens on 7d.

Today we had a few hours of brightness and used the black headed gull on the lake for target practice for the focus system. I was very impressed with the improved tracking. Obtained and remained in focus 95% of the time compared to 60% I would get with the 40D.

Attached is a 100% crop of a Gull in flight taken with Canon 200mm f2.8 L.

A 60% of the frame is in my gallery

-----------------------------------------------------
Solar powered Box Brownie Mk2

Captain Sunshine, to be such a man as he, and walk so pure between the earth and the sea.

WPF Gallery
Birdforum Gallery
http://www.robertstocker.co.uk updated

Last edited by robski; 26-07-11 at 22:34.
Old 13-12-10, 17:24

Much the same as Rob, 300D, 30D, 5D and 7D.

I was so impressed with the 7D that I sold my 5D as it just wasn't getting used.

The 7D can be a little noisy at anything over 100 ISO, but the images do clean up very nicely even in Lightroom (even the high ISO images as well).

The focus tracking is certainly impressive as two of the attached photo shows. I've also included an interior shot from Castle Howard ISO 1250.

My photographic are in wildlife and macro and in these two areas it excels, with the only limitations being yours truly.

Harry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Castle howard.jpg (213.7 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg Eagle Owl.jpg (258.4 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg Moorhen (2).jpg (192.6 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Face to Face.jpg (135.2 KB, 31 views)
Old 13-12-10, 17:54

Susan, you put a kind comment on one of my shots of my wife when you were looking in my gallery for 7D shots. That particular shot is about a 50% crop if that is any help. Talking of noise there are also some interior shots taken of the kitchens in Dover Castle taken at ISO 6,400 and then if I remember correctly put through NeatImage. Do remember also that you are looking at images that have been compressed down to less than 200k for viewing in the forum.
Old 13-12-10, 19:59
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Green View Post
I like that I could use all I have (lenses, flash. ....)
Am I right in thinking that the 7D uses different batteries & battery grip
Old 13-12-10, 20:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gidders View Post
Am I right in thinking that the 7D uses different batteries & battery grip
Unfortunately yes you are correct
Old 14-12-10, 18:06

I'm thinking od upgrading from my 20D and trying to choose between 60D and 7D. I really like the idea of the articulated screen of the 60D for getting low for landscape photography (I've got a G11 with articulated screen and it works just great). But I also like the birst rate of the 7D for bird photography. Still can't make up my mind.
Old 14-12-10, 21:44

If you are into BIFS then the 7D is the one to go for as the follow focus is vastly superior to the 60D's which is like the one in the 20D, 40D 50D etc. You would get a far higher hit rate with the 7D once you had all the options sorted. The 7D is also more rugged. If it is birds there is no contest, 7D every time.
Old 24-12-10, 15:29

Hello! D7 is my dream!

Tags
canon 7d