WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Photographic Accessories

Photographic Accessories Discussion on other Photography related Equipment. Tripods, Luggage and suchlike.

Another tripod help thread....

Old 17-04-06, 16:49

I just realised, correct me if I am wrong but.... I believe I can use any tripod I wish providing I can fit a manfrotto head to it. I am happy with Manfrotto 141RC head as uses same QR plate as my existing monopod. This paves the way for other brands of 'legs'. After a quick check on prices I think total price of £200 without shipping should allow for a decent tripod for my dual purpose requirement.
Old 17-04-06, 17:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirofo
I use both the Uniloc 1600 Major and the Uniloc 1700, the 1600 is very heavy and great for most types of work where you don't have to carry it very far. The 1700 is a lighter version of the 1600 but still a very sturdy tripod, I find it great for taking on long walks. I have used it on occasions with a Nikkor 500mm f4 + converter with no problems. I also have a Manfrotto 055B but rarely use it now as I find it less versatile than the Unilocs, especially when photographing subjects close to the ground.

nirofo.
Out of interest, how does the 1600 compare in sturdiness to the Manfrotto 055B?

Isn't the 1700 the same as the 1600 but with a bendy bit at the end of the centre column? I'm surprised it takes a 500mm lens, though It's nice to hear. It carries my ~80mm scope with ease.

I took mine apart and was impressed by the clever design. It strikes me as far more rigid than the Gitzo Explorer due to a better centre column pivot.

Anyway, I'm somewhat off topic.

Leif
Old 17-04-06, 19:24

Hi Leif

The Uniloc 1600 Major is far sturdier and heavier than the Manfrotto 055B, it's also far more versatile! The Uniloc 1700 Minor is a lightweight (comparatively) version of the 1600 Major and has the same functions, it's far more versatile than the Gitzo Explorer, but it is heavier. I use both with either a 30mm Ball and socket, or a Manfrotto 128RC fluid head, both with quick release plates by Manfrotto. I also have a very old and heavy (15lbs) MPP tripod which could be used for propping up the car in emergency. I use it when I have a long term hide set up, I just leave it in the hide for the duration and fit a Manfrotto 128RC head to it when I'm in the hide!

nirofo.
Old 17-04-06, 19:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subzero
I have both the 055 pro and the MF3 CF tripods......
Snippety snip snip.......

Hopefully Yelvertoft finds something of interest in the above, come back if you need any more.
regards Subzero.
Thanks subzero, this is just the kind of info I was after. I was under the impression that the 055 pro model (as opposed to other sub-species of the 055) also had the ability to put the centre column in a horizontal position. Perhaps this is a feature they have recently added to the 055 line?

One of the reasons I am thinking of adding to my tripod collection is specifically to get this feature, it will make still-life setups a whole lot easier.

It seems that from what you are saying, ("I'd draw a straw"), the MF3 is not worth the extra cash for my needs at least, as long as I can get the 055 with a horizontal arm option. If this isn't possible then it would have to be the MF3pro. I intend using it with the 141RC head.

Thanks again for your help.

Duncan
Old 17-04-06, 19:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Fox
I just realised, correct me if I am wrong but.... I believe I can use any tripod I wish providing I can fit a manfrotto head to it.
You can Stephen, but bear in mind that some manufacturers (generally the cheaper ones) use a 1/4" thread, the more upmarket brands use a 3/8" thread. You can buy an adaptor to go either way (big->small or small->big) for pennies. I use a Manfrotto head (3/8") on my velbon legs (1/4").

Duncan
Old 17-04-06, 20:07

Default 055 Magfibre Test

Today I tested the 055 Magfibre with my 80-200 lens. As Duncan is expressing an interest in a possible move up, this was done with 2 different requirements in mind. Compared to a lot of members this is a lightweight camera lens combo at 2.5kg.

To satisfy Stephen as far as the Q/R plate is concerned, and as this is a reqular scope fit plate I used the 701 head on the tripod. The column is slightly extended to give an eye level view through the camera. Picture attached.

I took several shots with and without release and at various shutter speeds from 1/40sec to 1/500sec. No differences were apparent. A full frame and crop pic are attached. The crop is from hand triggered at 1/40 sec.

For followers of the ' Lens hood / filters ' thread I also did the filter test. No negative effects were seen so my filter stays on.

My verdict on 6mp to 8mp 1.5 crop sensor this tripod is fine although I did not do a wind speed test. As I have the beefier Slik I use that when things turn breezy for scope, and or camera.

The one thing yet to be looked at is the effect of any movement on the 12mp DX sensor that Stephen has. As this will be more sensitive due to pixel density.

Don
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Camera_Tripod set up.jpg (69.0 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg 055MF3 test full frame.jpg (135.9 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg 1_40sec _crop with USM.jpg (138.1 KB, 15 views)
Old 17-04-06, 21:31

Quote:
Hi Leif

The Uniloc 1600 Major is far sturdier and heavier than the Manfrotto 055B, it's also far more versatile! The Uniloc 1700 Minor is a lightweight (comparatively) version of the 1600 Major and has the same functions, it's far more versatile than the Gitzo Explorer, but it is heavier. I use both with either a 30mm Ball and socket, or a Manfrotto 128RC fluid head, both with quick release plates by Manfrotto. I also have a very old and heavy (15lbs) MPP tripod which could be used for propping up the car in emergency. I use it when I have a long term hide set up, I just leave it in the hide for the duration and fit a Manfrotto 128RC head to it when I'm in the hide!

nirofo.
Thanks. Maybe I'm confusing you. I have the ordinary 1600, not the 1600 major. I think it is the 1700 without the bendy bit. Leif
Old 17-04-06, 23:45

Don

Have I started a trend here with the Barcode test ? I never thought it would catch on. What is the distance from your lens to target ?

I see on your test the small black & white size is 10 pixels whereas Roy's was 6 pixels. Surely you can match Roy's test.

-----------------------------------------------------
Solar powered Box Brownie Mk2

Captain Sunshine, to be such a man as he, and walk so pure between the earth and the sea.

WPF Gallery
Birdforum Gallery
http://www.robertstocker.co.uk updated
Old 18-04-06, 01:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leif
Thanks. Maybe I'm confusing you. I have the ordinary 1600, not the 1600 major. I think it is the 1700 without the bendy bit. Leif
Hi Leif

There's no confusion, the Uniloc 1700 Minor is a different tripod to the 1600, check out the Uniloc web link below.

http://www.ukray.com/uniloc/system.htm

nirofo.
Old 18-04-06, 08:19

Quote:
Hi Leif

The Uniloc 1600 Major is far sturdier and heavier than the Manfrotto 055B, it's also far more versatile! The Uniloc 1700 Minor is a lightweight (comparatively) version of the 1600 Major and has the same functions, it's far more versatile than the Gitzo Explorer, but it is heavier.
[snip]
nirofo.
Thanks for the suggestion, and the comparison with the Gitzo Explorer, which was on my shortlist until I read your comment. I have the use of a Uniloc at work where I find it extremely useful for being able to get a camera inside the deepest recesses of some item of faulty equipment. I grant you it is extremely versatile in this respect, but I really find it incredibly fiddly to setup. As a sassenach, I'm not into bagpipe wrestling. The Uniloc has its benefits, but I'm glad to have to leave this item at work when I go home.

Duncan.