WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Photographic Accessories

Photographic Accessories Discussion on other Photography related Equipment. Tripods, Luggage and suchlike.

Tripod advice

Old 16-06-07, 13:20

Crazee,

I'd say the 055 is man enough for any dSLR plus 300mm lens. Don't skimp on the head though. A 128RC is good, if your lens has a rotating collar on it, or you don't mind the inability to swivel to portrait format. The 128RC is primarily designed for video cameras, but is good and sturdy for still cameras with big lenses.

Duncan
Old 22-06-07, 18:12

mrs just said would i like this as a thankyou for "doing" the kitchen? http://www.cameraworld.co.uk/ViewPro...203-Way%20Head
would the head be suitable for my wildlife/macro/everyday snappy pictures?
Serious? Me? Not in this lifetime.......
Old 22-06-07, 18:38

Crazee,

I'd say that head would be excellent for macro and everyday snappy pics. Personally, I wouldn't use it for wildlife as by the time you'd got it pointing where the wildlife was, the animals will have gone.

Good price for the bundle though.

Duncan
Old 22-06-07, 18:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by yelvertoft View Post
Crazee,

I'd say that head would be excellent for macro and everyday snappy pics. Personally, I wouldn't use it for wildlife as by the time you'd got it pointing where the wildlife was, the animals will have gone.

Good price for the bundle though.

Duncan
be more specific please! why wouldnt it be quick enough for the wildlife thang?
Old 23-06-07, 08:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazee horse View Post
be more specific please! why wouldnt it be quick enough for the wildlife thang?
The head has three knobs, each controlling one axis of tilt/rotation, each moving and locking its axis independently. You have to slacken each of the three knobs one at a time. Slacken one (say the rotation axis), move, lock. Slacken two (vertical tilt axis), move, lock. Slacken three (horizontal tilt axis), move lock. This makes it a great head for still life, macro and everyday snappy stuff.

If you have a pet octopus that could be trained, then there may be some mileage in this head for wildlife use. I suggest you find a local camera shop and try the different styles of head they have. Even if they don't have exactly the head/legs you want, it will give you an idea of the differences in operation and will help you decide if you could use this style of head for wildlife.

If you've had a good play with the goods in the shop, seriously consider giving them you business, even if it does cost a few quid more than online.

I'm trying to think of a single head that would adequately cover your range of needs. Perhaps the Manfrotto 322 grip action ball head?
http://www.manfrotto.com/Jahia/site/manfrotto/cache/offonce/pid/2319?livid=80|81&lsf=81&child=2
Edit: for some reason, that link isn't directly clickable, copy and paste it into your browser address bar, it works then.

Anyone else got any ideas to help Crazee Horse find a one size fits all head that meets his needs? Some of you serious wildlife types must have an opinion.

Duncan
Old 23-06-07, 10:28

An area which may get overlooked is feet. Any good suggestions for a sturdy tripod for low work ( insects & flowers ) where the feet don't get entangled in long meadow grass. I find the clips on my old 055 a real pain for that.

-----------------------------------------------------
Solar powered Box Brownie Mk2

Captain Sunshine, to be such a man as he, and walk so pure between the earth and the sea.

WPF Gallery
Birdforum Gallery
http://www.robertstocker.co.uk updated

Last edited by robski; 23-06-07 at 14:38.
Old 23-06-07, 11:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by yelvertoft View Post
I suggest you find a local camera shop and try the different styles of head they have. Even if they don't have exactly the head/legs you want, it will give you an idea of the differences in operation and will help you decide if you could use this style of head for wildlife.

Anyone else got any ideas to help Crazee Horse find a one size fits all head that meets his needs? Some of you serious wildlife types must have an opinion.

Duncan
I think the try out idea is the best option. I have a sturdy but budget ballhead, 3 way geared head and a 501 fluid head. Each has their uses, but within a reasonable budget I have yet to find a single head that could replace that lot that I would be happy and comfortable using. Leifs Markins M10 ballhead ticks the boxes but is not cheap.

Best compromise for the individual style of photography will play a large part in the decision.

Don
Old 25-06-07, 19:56

your all gonna slate me for this but ive just bought an arena tripod from london camera exchange................. i was shocked as to the weight of the 190 and the 055 and when i saw the arena and had the sales pitch (lol) i was sold. £99.99 inc head which looks like a basic-ish panning and up downy if you want the technical name. its weighty without too much weight and feels sturdy................ go on, rip me to pieces. i have no friends etc lol
Old 25-06-07, 20:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazee horse View Post
your all gonna slate me for this but ive just bought an arena tripod from london camera exchange................. i was shocked as to the weight of the 190 and the 055 and when i saw the arena and had the sales pitch (lol) i was sold. £99.99 inc head which looks like a basic-ish panning and up downy if you want the technical name. its weighty without too much weight and feels sturdy................ go on, rip me to pieces. i have no friends etc lol

Be gone, off to Coventry with you ...

Naah, enjoy the tripod. A tripod that you use is better than one that is so heavy you leave it at home. You should be fine for wide and normal lenses.
Old 25-06-07, 20:20

thank you lol it feels solid and does what i need at the moment, so watch this space, i have hardly been using my 350d because though i feel i have a steady hand my pictures look like i have the D.T."s............ well anything slower than 1/100