WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Off Topic > Computers and The Internet

Computers and The Internet This is the place to ask questions and discuss the complex world of computer and internet issues.

Connecting Jobo Gigavu

Old 27-03-07, 08:19

Default Connecting Jobo Gigavu

Hi folks - got problems connecting one of these to my PC.
PC says it is OK on device manager but the actual drive does not appear anywhere, on screen or on 'my computer' so I can't see it?
What stupid thing am I doing wrong this time?
Any help greatly appreciated.

James
Old 27-03-07, 17:58
Super Moderator

I don't use one of these, but my portable hard drive just shows as another drive in 'my computer' - it will probably just show as drive H (or another letter depending on what other drives you have connected).
Old 27-03-07, 19:06

If only, thats the problem, it doesn't show anywhere!

James
Old 27-03-07, 20:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
Hi folks - got problems connecting one of these to my PC.
PC says it is OK on device manager but the actual drive does not appear anywhere, on screen or on 'my computer' so I can't see it?
What stupid thing am I doing wrong this time?
Any help greatly appreciated.

James

If it's a USB drive device you should see a small icon appear in the bottom right corner of your desktop, it should say "new hardware detected". If it doesn't then your USB is not set up correctly if at all and your device is not being seen, do you have any other USB devices you can test on your computer? If you have more than one USB socket, try some of the others, sometimes some USB sockets don't connect for whatever reason. If you have a USB device connected that is working try you new device in that socket, if that doesn't work you may have a faulty unit, or you may need to install the driver software that came with your device.

Let us know how you get on with it.

nirofo.
Old 27-03-07, 20:58

The problem may be that the drive letter it wants to use is being used by a different device. This will prevent you seeing the Jobo. This sometimes happens when a multi card reader is installed.
You will need to change the drive letter using disk management utility in Windows.
To access this right click on My Computer icon and select Manage.
Select Disk Management.
In the right lower pane scroll down until you see the device.
Right click on this device and select a drive letter that is not being used.
Old 28-03-07, 09:45

[quote=nirofo;18966]If it's a USB drive device you should see a small icon appear in the bottom right corner of your desktop, it should say "new hardware detected". If it doesn't then your USB is not set up correctly if at all and your device is not being seen, do you have any other USB devices you can test on your computer? If you have more than one USB socket, try some of the others, sometimes some USB sockets don't connect for whatever reason. If you have a USB device connected that is working try you new device in that socket, if that doesn't work you may have a faulty unit, or you may need to install the driver software that came with your device.

USB is working and I get the balloon but still no device on "My Computer." The device does not come with any driver software. Going to try changing a few drive letters in desparation!

Cheers
Old 28-03-07, 09:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve2005 View Post
The problem may be that the drive letter it wants to use is being used by a different device. This will prevent you seeing the Jobo. This sometimes happens when a multi card reader is installed.
You will need to change the drive letter using disk management utility in Windows.
To access this right click on My Computer icon and select Manage.
Select Disk Management.
In the right lower pane scroll down until you see the device.
Right click on this device and select a drive letter that is not being used.
Will try this tonight. The computer comes with all sorts of slots for card reading etc. But would have thought it was designed to see USB separately?

Cheers
Old 28-03-07, 13:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post

USB is working and I get the balloon but still no device on "My Computer." The device does not come with any driver software. Going to try changing a few drive letters in desparation!

Cheers

If you don't have any software for your device I would suggest accessing the web page of the company that makes your device and search for appropriate software/drivers for your model.

Changing drive letters might cause you more problems than you have at the moment and should only be attempted when you have proved you don't have a software/driver problem, even then I would doubt you have a drive letter allocation problem, Windows XP, (I assume that's the operating system you're using) is pretty slick these days at allocating drives!

Here's a web link for you to download the latest drivers and other stuff for your device.

http://www.jobo.com/jobo_service/dig...pro/index.html

How to update the driver/firmware for your device.

Quote:

JOBO Giga Vu Pro Firmware Upgrade

Thank you for your purchase of the JOBO Giga Vu Pro. The Giga Vu Pro has been designed to allow for firmware updates to enhance the performance of the unit. The instructions below will tell you how to upgrade the unit.
1. Create a folder on your computer in which to save the firmware download. Make sure the folder is easy to find.
2. Go to www.jobo.com or www.jobo-usa.com and download the latest version of firmware. Download the firmware into your newly created folder. The download will be a ZIP file and will need to be extracted before installing the data onto the Giga Vu Pro.
3. Extract the file following your extraction software instructions. We recommend saving the extracted files in the same folder you created to store the download. This makes it easy to find the extracted files.
4. The extracted files will be in a folder bearing the same name as the ZIP file you downloaded from the internet. Open this folder. There should be several files in it. If there are not, delete both the ZIP folder and the unzipped folder, and redo the downloading process. Sometimes data can be lost or corrupted during transfer and this will prevent a proper update.
5. Before connecting the Giga Vu Pro to the computer, power it up and check the current version of firmware on the unit.
6. Connect AC power to the Giga Vu Pro and then connect the USB connection. Warning! Do not try this procedure on battery power! Damage to the Giga Vu Pro that is not covered under warranty will occur! Use the upper USB connection on the Giga Vu Pro and be sure to connect the USB cable directly into the computer. Do not go through a hub.
7. Engage the USB connection on the Giga Vu Pro and wait for the icon to appear in MY COMPUTER (Windows) or on the DESKTOP (MAC).
8. Open the folder containing the extracted firmware files. SELECT ALL files and drag and drop them onto the GIGA Vu Pro icon. It is important that you drag the individual files onto the Giga Vu Pro. Dragging the folder icon will not work.
9. Once the upgrade is complete SAFELY REMOVE (Windows) or EJECT the Giga Vu Pro from the computer.
10. Power down the Giga Vu Pro.
11. Power the Giga Vu Pro back up. You should get the FLASHING NEW IMAGE PLEASE WAIT message. The Giga Vu Pro is now upgrading the firmware. Please wait. Do not disturb the unit during the upgrade. It may take 10 minutes or longer to complete the upgrade. Warning! Power loss, static shock or physical damage during the upgrade will seriously damage the Giga Vu Pro! This damage is not covered under warranty.
12. Check the Giga Vu Pro firmware on the unit, it should be upgraded. If not, try the upgrade again. Sometimes bad data can cause a firmware failure. If the problem persists, contact JOBO for assistance.

nirofo.

Last edited by nirofo; 28-03-07 at 13:22.
Old 30-03-07, 07:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirofo View Post
Here's a web link for you to download the latest drivers and other stuff for your device.
Danger Will Robinson!

That link is for the old GVP, not the Evolution. And it's for the device's firmware, not for PC drivers. I would hope the Jobo wouldn't allow you to update with the firmware for the wrong device - but best not to try. The GVPE doesn't come with a driver disk because it shouldn't need any.

I suspect it may be a case of drive letter allocation. Although WinXP is better than its predecessors, it can still screw up. I have a multi-card reader which won't work if there aren't enough drive letters near the beginning of the alphabet free. When I installed it on my work PC (with 15 networked drives) I had to do a bit of reallocation myself to get it to work properly.

I'd try reallocating one of the memory card slots to a higher letter (mine are set to F: for CF, S: for SD and X: for the stupid Sony one). Then try connecting to Jobo and see if it picks up that free letter.
Old 30-03-07, 08:48

Many thanks for all help received but it turns out the unit has a definite fault and is going back.
Anyone got a good one for sale?

James