WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Photographic Accessories

Photographic Accessories Discussion on other Photography related Equipment. Tripods, Luggage and suchlike.

Another tripod help thread....

Old 16-04-06, 17:16

Default Another tripod help thread....

I realise my Velbon 620 tripod was woefully inadequate and I am looking for something more sturdy to hold 4kg or more. I have a Manfrotto 682 freestanding monopod with 234RC head and QR plate so I am interested in Manfrotto gear as I could use two identical QR plates. Working height needs to be high and weight does not matter as I will not be walking far with it.

Any suggestions or recommendations?
Old 16-04-06, 18:20

I can highly recommend the 055proB with retractable spiked feet.
Old 16-04-06, 19:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen
I can highly recommend the 055proB with retractable spiked feet.
I've been having similar thoughts to Stephen myself.

Do you think the Magfibre MF3 pro is worth the extra £90 (typically) over the 055pro?

My Velbon CF530 is fine as long as there isn't the slightest bit of wind. This is rarely the case in the real world. Puff of wind and it wobbles like a jelly in a heatwave. This experience has put me of CF tripods quite a bit, so I think I've answered my own question. I'd still be interested to hear from others that have real experience of the products. I don't want to hear regurgitated opinion/theory from people that have not used these products directly.

Duncan
Old 16-04-06, 19:52

I've used a Uniloc 1600 for about 7 years and I've yet to find anything as versatile. It is well made and only costs £100 new. I recently disassembled it to clean out dirt and oil the mechanism and it now works like new.

The Uniloc 1600 Major and Benbo 1 are sturdier versions of the same thing. They are surprisingly cheap when you compare them to the competition. But they are not that light. The 1600 is 2.4Kg which is heavy compared to CF tripods. The only disadvantage is that you must be careful to hold the camera (or remove it) when loosening the central lock as the central column and all three legs will be free to move.

There's no reason why you can't put a Manfrotto head on a Uniloc. It uses a standard 1/4" thread.

If you don't need the versatility of the Uniloc/Benbo, then I guess a Manfrotto/Gitzo or whatever would be best. Gitzo is the brand that seems to be favoured by the big names.

But if you want conventional, you could check out Benro who make Gitzo clones, or rip-offs depending on your point of view. I can't comment on the build quality. They are sold in the UK by various places including Microglobe. Reckon on about £200.

Leif
Old 16-04-06, 20:56

I have both the 055 pro and the MF3 CF tripods.These are fitted with either the 501 or 393 manfrotto heads as required.I am an avid digiscoper and also bird "snapper" and my needs may be different from yours.
So, if you grasp the leg sets at the top (near to the head platform), then the MF3 shows less flexing in the lowest leg section.
The clamping set up for the centre column on the 055 is better and less flexible than on the MF3.The MF3 has the facility to enable the centre column to be used HORIZOTALLY and also has a split (short length ) centre column suitable for using pod very close to the ground.Using the MF3 at full height with the short centre coloumn, I do not find it ( with head attached) very rigid, because the clamping arrangement does not appear to grip the lower end of the coloum very well.Having said that, with the column at full length the set up is very rigid. As stated I use both leg set for 500/4 +telecons+heavy DSLR, and have no probs with either, also have digiscoped with both with no obvious probs.
Weight maybe of concern to you, the MF3 is very light and I use this for long treks.Wind/sun/rain/heat and have not noticed any obvious difference in performance ( ie it was very windy and if only I had the 055 ,the images would have been much better).If I had to give up one then, after a lot of thought, it would be draw the shortest straw.Both are good, depends on you needs either will serve you well.For interest, I have fitted the MF3 with spikes, cost about £15 but well worth it.Hopefully Yelvertoft finds something of interest in the above, come back if you need any more.
regards Subzero.
Old 16-04-06, 21:40

Stephen I have several tripods, the big Slik Proffesional you used on Saturday, Benbo Mk1, the set of bagpipes we put the Spitfire on, Manfrotto 055MF3, and an old Slik88.

I will instantly cross out the Slik88 as I only use it for my flash. Just not stable enough.

In design and weight terms terms there are differences between the others. Weights varying between 5.2Kg and 2Kg. Geared column v non geared. Spike feet and non spike feet. Twist lock leg clamping and snap lock.

I guess a good starting point would be ... Budget for legs, or total budget including head. Type of work and location that you see yourself using the tripod in and distance you may need to carry the tripod. An additional preference of geared column or non geared would also be helpful.

Don
Old 16-04-06, 22:01

Lets leave the budget open ended yet realistic. Type of work, still life with a dual purpose for night shots of aeroplanes, cars and architecture possibly at 200+mm. Preference for Manfrotto and snap-lock legs. Walking distance less than 0.5 mile and no preference for geared or non geared column only if one is more stable than the other. Head must be able to turn camera for portrait shots, use a QR plate same as 234RC and spirit level would be good but non essential.
Old 16-04-06, 22:18

Default Heads

A quick check shows that this one from the Manfrotto range has the Q/R plate compatablity 141RC BASIC PAN TILT HEAD W/QCK LOCK http://www.manfrotto.com/Jahia/cache...lsf=81&child=1

The one with spirit level has a different Q/R plate ... 029 3D STANDARD CAMERA HEAD http://www.manfrotto.com/Jahia/cache...lsf=81&child=1

I do not have any experience of these heads, so perhaps someone else does.

Don
Old 16-04-06, 22:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Hoey
A quick check shows that this one from the Manfrotto range has the Q/R plate compatablity 141RC BASIC PAN TILT HEAD W/QCK LOCK http://www.manfrotto.com/Jahia/cache...lsf=81&child=1

The one with spirit level has a different Q/R plate ... 029 3D STANDARD CAMERA HEAD http://www.manfrotto.com/Jahia/cache...lsf=81&child=1

I do not have any experience of these heads, so perhaps someone else does.

Don
I do The O29 is the next size up so to speak, the QR plate is as you can see in the picture 6 sided. I would suggest this gives better stability for a Pro dSLR. It goes well with my 055proB but obviously adds considerably to the overall weight. The other head I would suggest is more suited to the next model down from the 055.

The 055 tripod can be splayed out to only a few inches above the ground, the centre column cmes out easily and sits horizontally in the neck of the tripod. The 029 gives full movement for the camera. I find the spirit level essential for landscape and studio work.

The best way forward is to find a branch of something like Calumet who stock the Monfrotto range and go test em.
Old 17-04-06, 02:07

I use both the Uniloc 1600 Major and the Uniloc 1700, the 1600 is very heavy and great for most types of work where you don't have to carry it very far. The 1700 is a lighter version of the 1600 but still a very sturdy tripod, I find it great for taking on long walks. I have used it on occasions with a Nikkor 500mm f4 + converter with no problems. I also have a Manfrotto 055B but rarely use it now as I find it less versatile than the Unilocs, especially when photographing subjects close to the ground.

nirofo.