WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Lenses

Lenses Discussion of Lenses

Which Wide Angle Lens For My Canon 20D?

Old 05-02-11, 11:03

Default Which Wide Angle Lens For My Canon 20D?

Since I purchased my Canon 20D back in 2006 I have been using the EF-S 18-55mm kit lens that came with it. Whilst this has served me well, and i've had some great results from it, I am looking to upgrade.
Ideally I would like to go slightly wider than 18mm in order that I can achieve the equivalent of approx 20/22/24mm if my sensor were full frame. At the other end the 55mm has been sufficient for my needs.
Recently I borrowed an L series Canon lens (24-105IS) and the difference in quality was evident. However, this is the only comparison I have at the minute so I would welcome any and all opinions/experiences/suggestions please. Essentially I would like the quality of image that an L series provides but would like to know if I can get that with an independent or just one of the other cheaper Canon lenses.
Most of my photography is Landscape.
Many thanks
Paul
Old 05-02-11, 12:16
Super Moderator

There are definitely some cheaper options that provide very good image quality, but for me the L's tend to be a step ahead. If you are looking for a superwide then there are plenty of options - Canon 10-22, Sigma 10-20, Tamron 11-16 (I think) all will give you a much wider view and will have better IQ than the kit lens when shooting wide angle. (That said the kit lens is a very capable lens if used within it's limits, stopped down to F8-11 it is surprisingly good).

You should have been warned of the danger of using an L lens, it can be an addictive experience.
Old 05-02-11, 12:19
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinkeypete View Post
Recently I borrowed an L series Canon lens (24-105IS) and the difference in quality was evident.
(I'm about to sell my 24-105... )
Old 05-02-11, 13:38

How much do you want to spend?
The Canon 10x22 is a superb lens, I use mine for landscape and love the results - I have 'used' a Sigma 10x20 and it was good but prefer the Canon.
But these are both defined wide angle and you state the 55mm end of your 18x55 suits your needs so the 24x105 is a BIG compromise on what you are seeking in that at 24 mm the crop factor will be of no benefit to your desire to 'go wider'
Whilst the Canon 10x22 is not an L lens - the outcome is very close to L quality
I recommend it.....................
Old 08-02-11, 02:02
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by byteme View Post
The Canon 10x22 is a superb lens, I use mine for landscape and love the results - I have 'used' a Sigma 10x20 and it was good but prefer the Canon. ...

Whilst the Canon 10x22 is not an L lens - the outcome is very close to L quality
I recommend it.....................
I'll second that
Old 08-02-11, 22:36

Many thanks for your input guys - very useful. Glad to know I don't necessarily need to remortgage my home to get an L series lens!! I will, however, still need to save a few more pounds.
Regards
Paul
Old 09-02-11, 01:36

Canon 10-22 is my suggestion Paul,Sigma 10-20 is a good lens,i have taken many shots with it,but it is not good in wide apertures,soft in wide aperture especially in its 10 mm,but for outdoor and tight aperture like 8-9 ... 11 and tighter a very good wide even in 10 mm,hope these help you,regards,Mo
Old 03-03-11, 10:44

Thanks again all for the very helpful comments. After a lot of research I am pretty much decided on the Canon 10-22mm lens. It really does have some great reviews!
Naturally I want to get a UV filter to offer some protection to the front but I also want to get ND and Polariser filters for it too. Having had a quick look online it seems that these are not cheap either. Therefore, can anyone recommend somewhere to get these from that is reasonably priced but good quality also. From reading reviews etc it would seem that I need thin filters.
Finally, is anyone able to offer some advice on what ND filter/s to get – I have never used one before but again from reading up a little it seems it may be prudent to have a few different densities in my kit bag.
Thanks for taking the time to reply and help out.
Paul
Old 03-03-11, 13:01
Super Moderator

Great lens & you won't regret your choice

I've no experience of polarizers so can't help there.

ND filters - I use Cokin P153 & P154 which give 2 stops & 3 stops respectively or 5 stops when combined. You do have to watch out for vignetting with this system once you zoom of to ~12mm or less, but other than that they work well & give flecibility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinkeypete View Post
Naturally I want to get a UV filter to offer some protection to the front ...Paul
I know a lot of people do this but I struggle with the concept of spending £500+ on a lens and then degrading the quality by adding another piece of glass (irrespective of the quality of the UV filter) to the light path.

Hands up all those who have thought...

"I'm so glad I had that UV filter on - otherwise I would have scratched my expensive lens" ...

Anyone?

Protection - isn't that what insurance is for
Old 03-03-11, 21:23

Thanks for your help Clive much appreciated. I've just been looking at the Cokin filters and was wondering whether I would actually need the P wide angle holder for the 10-22 lens? Also, I assume that when using the Cokin filters I would need a Cokin lens hood rather than the Canon one?
Good point about the UV filter - never thought about it like that.
Thanks again
Paul