WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Cameras

Cameras Discussion on Cameras of all types

Which Canon Model

Old 13-04-11, 11:30

Default Which Canon Model

Firstly, many thanks to all who helped with advice on lenses! It was much appreciated.

I eventually decided on a 15-55 f2.8 IS USM and a 70 – 200 f4L IS USM. I agonized about the new 70 – 200 f2.8L II IS USM, it gets great write ups but I really couldn’t justify almost twice the price and twice the weight for a one stop advantage. I take most of my photographs when travelling, so weight is an issue and when I tried the 2.8 on a camera it just felt all wrong, whereas the lighter f4 felt fine, a personal thing, but still important.

So decisions were made, or so I thought, until I saw a catalogue for the 60D. The main differences that I can see between it and the 7D are the twin processors on the 7D (which allows 8 frames per second) and the 100% coverage of the viewfinder.

The 60D has a moveable screen whilst the screen on the 7D is fixed. I have never been a fan of using a screen, but my Sony has a screen with limited movement and that has allowed me to take some photographs which I couldn’t have taken with a 7D; camera held high above the head for example.

The 60D is also about two thirds the cost of the 7D.

Does anyone have any thoughts, or any experience with both cameras?
Old 13-04-11, 16:00

The arrival of the 7D bought with it a 19 point AF system with a 8 frames per second burst facility making for a sort of 'mini 1D' type of camera. The body is built of a robust magnesium and was unashamed it is designs toward the high end amateur / semi pro market.

This pushed the old 50D backward - a superb camera but Canon needed something to fit between the 7D and the 550D - the creation of the 60D was aimed at the enthusiast photographer who would enjoy the video capabilities more that most 7D users.

The 60D is built of strong plastic but inside are very similar components to the 7D (although it only has a 9 point AF system and less frame burst capability) - it also has a variety of features such as "creative filters" to give (for example) grainy B&W or Toy Camera looks.

I have used both but own a 7D - that probably says enough - I chose the 7D for the solid as a rock feel and use it for photography 'pure and simple'.

The 60D has 'dumbed down' the 50D with an array of other uses that are so very suitable for those who want a camera that does those sort of things.

Do I regret spending 30% more for the 7D - "No!" - its ideal for sports photography (fast frame burst) and the 1x magnification and 100% coverage through the viewfinder is far superior to the 0.95x and 95% of the 60D

They are both good cameras - I just think the extra 30% in cost is well worth it - but as with all things - you pays yer money you takes your choice........

...........and I am sure someone here will say the reverse to what I have said
Old 13-04-11, 16:54

I have no experience of the 60D apart from having held one and looking through it. I own the 7D and love it. The 7D has a lot of fine tuning available for the focus which although mind boggling when setting up the camera makes it spot on for ones preferred mode of shooting, say for birds in flight shots. Not sure if the 60D has the same level of customisation.