WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > General Photography > The Photography Forum

The Photography Forum General Photography Related Discussion.

Filter and tripod help please

Old 05-07-10, 23:38

Default Filter and tripod help please

Hello all
Im looking to get a neutral density filter, the B+W 3.0 one, but have just been reading up on the graduated neutral deinsity filters and now I cant decide whats best to get.As I understand it the graduated one makes the top of the pic darker but keeps the lower part clear but doesnt the normal ND filter do this too? any advice would be appreciated.
Also Im looking for a good easy to use tripod, Ive got a redsnapper already but wanted something alot easier to set up quickly for when Im out and about instead of having to adjust and extend legs etc.It would be used for landscapes and alot of other stuff too actually.
Thanks again in advance
Joe
Old 06-07-10, 08:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeteds View Post
As I understand it the graduated one makes the top of the pic darker but keeps the lower part clear
Correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeteds View Post
but doesnt the normal ND filter do this too?
No. A normal ND will make the whole image need a longer exposure time or smaller aperture.
Old 06-07-10, 22:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by yelvertoft View Post
Correct.

No. A normal ND will make the whole image need a longer exposure time or smaller aperture.
Ok great thanks buddy
So what would be the all round best 1 to go for ?
Old 07-07-10, 00:29

They are different tools for different jobs.

Just as a screw driver is a different tool to a chisel.

As Ducan has said the Normal ND darkens the whole scene whereas the graduated darkens part of the scene.

The ND filter would normally be used to reduce the amount of light so a slower shutter speed can be achieved to give motion blur. Or a larger F-stop to give less Depth of Field (DOF).

The Graduated is normally used to darken part of the scene such as the sky to reduce the contrast range of the scene. A common problem it helps with is where sky is correctly exposed and the ground is very dark or the ground is correctly exposed and the sky is burnt out.

-----------------------------------------------------
Solar powered Box Brownie Mk2

Captain Sunshine, to be such a man as he, and walk so pure between the earth and the sea.

WPF Gallery
Birdforum Gallery
http://www.robertstocker.co.uk updated

Last edited by robski; 07-07-10 at 00:31.
Old 07-07-10, 00:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by robski View Post
They are different tools for different jobs.

Just as a screw driver is a different tool to a chisel.

As Ducan has said the Normal ND darkens the whole scene whereas the graduated darkens part of the scene.

The ND filter would normally be used to reduce the amount of light so a slower shutter speed can be achieved to give motion blur. Or a larger F-stop to give less Depth of Field (DOF).

The Graduated is normally used to darken part of the scene such as the sky to reduce the contrast range of the scene. A common problem it helps with is where sky is correctly exposed and the ground is very dark or the ground is correctly exposed and the sky is burnt out.
Thanks Rob
I think Im going to go for the grad then to be honest. Are they hard to use ? I dont mean are they hard to put on I mean are they hard to set up and get the scenery in the right position to seperate the top dark part to the bottom brighter part.
Old 07-07-10, 12:31

Hi Joe, Use of Graduated ND's depends upon your subject to some extent and to what end result you are looking for. I use ND's quite a bit - some are actual filters and some are added in post processing. I use mainly Cokin/Lee square or oblong Grad ND filters. This is because you can move them up and down or rotate and place the start of the graduated zone where you need it in the framed composition. This gives you more control. I use a 3xND for most shots but have a 6xND for more dramatic results. I also have a circular, Singh-Ray variable ND filter that goes from 1x to 8x full frame ND I use this together with the oblong Grads to produce milky seascapes. I also use what are called Reverse Graduated Filters - they start off darker in the middle and are useful for sunsets where the brightest part is in the middle part of the frame. I find with all filters that it is cheaper in the long run to buy a 77 mm filter and use stop down rings to place the filter on smaller lenses, rather than buying individual filters of the lens size. And with Cokin/Lee to buy the "P" size and again use stop down rings to attach the larger holder to smaller lenses. As for a tripod - you have to put up with legs for a sturdy base unless you use bean bags and a friendly environment.

http://www.pbase.com/andy153

http://andy153.smugmug.com/

Equipment: Nikon - More than enough !!!

Last edited by andy153; 07-07-10 at 12:35.
Old 26-07-10, 22:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy153 View Post
Hi Joe, Use of Graduated ND's depends upon your subject to some extent and to what end result you are looking for. I use ND's quite a bit - some are actual filters and some are added in post processing. I use mainly Cokin/Lee square or oblong Grad ND filters. This is because you can move them up and down or rotate and place the start of the graduated zone where you need it in the framed composition. This gives you more control. I use a 3xND for most shots but have a 6xND for more dramatic results. I also have a circular, Singh-Ray variable ND filter that goes from 1x to 8x full frame ND I use this together with the oblong Grads to produce milky seascapes. I also use what are called Reverse Graduated Filters - they start off darker in the middle and are useful for sunsets where the brightest part is in the middle part of the frame. I find with all filters that it is cheaper in the long run to buy a 77 mm filter and use stop down rings to place the filter on smaller lenses, rather than buying individual filters of the lens size. And with Cokin/Lee to buy the "P" size and again use stop down rings to attach the larger holder to smaller lenses. As for a tripod - you have to put up with legs for a sturdy base unless you use bean bags and a friendly environment.
Thnaks alot Andy
Thats a great help and great info.
Sorry for delay in response by the way
Old 31-07-10, 21:35

Hey all
Im really struggling to choose the right filter holder and stop down rings, and the filter to be honest.Sorry if im being dumb but Im really not clued up on choosing these filters, theres hundreds lol.
Would anyone be able to point me in right direction please ?
I want the Grad nd x6 filter and I Have the Nikon d90 and the lens that will be mainly used with the filter at the mo is the 18-105mm (67mm thread).
Any links will be much appreciated as Ive tried choosing but dont trust myself to choose correctly.
Thanks so much
Joe
Old 01-08-10, 11:52

Joe, personally, I'd chose the square Cokin system for filters as these can be used on any lens with the appropriate adapter (cheap). Which size of square Cokin filter system to go for depends on how deep your pockets are.
Old 01-08-10, 13:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by yelvertoft View Post
Joe, personally, I'd chose the square Cokin system for filters as these can be used on any lens with the appropriate adapter (cheap). Which size of square Cokin filter system to go for depends on how deep your pockets are.
yeah the square ones with the holder is the type I want but like I said I'm struggling to choose which filter as there's loads. I know it's nd8 I think but there seem to b different types