WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > General Photography > The Photography Forum

The Photography Forum General Photography Related Discussion.

Advice please

Old 19-10-11, 14:54

Default Advice please

Hello

I have been looking for photography courses local to me and have been struggling to find anything that inspires me. I end up finding a site and have a look at the professional teachers gallery and feel really disappointed. It might sound silly but since I joined this site, I have been on daily and seen some stunning photography by most amateurs (I hope im right as I just insulted people!!!) and it strikes me that many photos here are far superior. Surely as a pro wanting to teach you would highlight and present your best photos to show people why they should come to you.

Am I setting my standards too high or are many pro's not industry pro's at all and in fact just enthusiasts getting away with trying to be something they are not?

Also is there anyone that is a pro here or certainly not challenged by their lack of imagination that would give me some time. I am only looking to pay, not for your free time, its only fair after all!

Last edited by dorsetman; 19-10-11 at 16:16.
Old 19-10-11, 17:23

Never been on a course but the thought that occurs to me is that though Pros may or may not inspire you they should give you a good grounding in the technicalities plus set you projects to challenge you. Their critique of your resulting work should give you food for thought even if you do not agree with them. Above all they should encourage and enthuse you.
Old 19-10-11, 20:50

Agree with mike totally. I started off by doing evening classes at college, and although I didn't really think my tutors stuff was that great, It did give me a good grasp of the basics. That inspired me to study further so I went on to do a diploma. It was great to be set assignments and be given constructive criticism. Id recommend it to anyone who wants to grow as a photography, as teaching yourself can be a slow frustrating process.
Old 20-10-11, 06:17

isn't there an old quote that goes...."Those Who Can, Do; Those Who Can't, Teach."...something like that, maybe the tutors you have looked at have a lot of knowledge and are able to teach, not everyone can teach....not much help I know.. It probably depends on what type of photography you want to do,but I am sure a course will give you the basics...
do you take many photos & do you want to do it for a hobby? if you are looking towards learning in the hope of getting work from it,then do a course, otherwise just take photos and learn as you go, I have picked up lots from here, everyone is so helpful...no amount of courses will give you an imagination though,I found looking at lots of fabulous images inspires me and helps get me in a creative mood....good luck with whatever you decide to do, I look forward to seeing some of your images.

Trena
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep. : Scott Adams
Old 25-10-11, 16:28

The first thing to ask is what do you want from the course. Having decided what your aims are, it will be easier to find a course that suits.
My main interest is in landscape photography - there is a huge variety of courses, and even some of the big names wont necessarily provide what you want. Looking at the tutors images is a good start, but also at the images produced on the course if available, reviews from customers etc. Phone up and talk to the tutor for more information - a good one will make time for you.
Old 27-10-11, 17:03

I felt like you for years - eventually plucked up courage to go to 'evening classes' and that helped my understanding greatly - but I have learned that many 'pro' shots you see in mags are very well edited by people who understand CS4 or 5 etc so very well
Since then I have been less harsh on myself - I don't get paid for my photos - I do it for fun.
Don't let the fun of this topic leave you - take shots and use every opportunity to experiment - you will get some great shots once in a while to celebrate and cherish.
Thats the bit I enjoy the most...............