WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Technique > Macro Photography Technique

Macro Photography Technique Discussions on Macro Photography

Manual macro on the cheap.

Old 20-08-10, 13:51

From reading a few posts from while I have been away, it seems there is some interest in 'on the cheap' macro, or at least closeup.

A bit of a thread bump so I can easily find it and look at anything we did not cover that may be of interest to anyone wanting to give it a bash. Closeup filters comes to mind, so I've just had another rummage in the loft and will look at doing some comparison shots between using closeup filters and tubes.

Don
Old 20-08-10, 16:58

Any ideas for DIY diffusers for macro ring flashes?

I can only think of taping diffusing sheet materials but that might be cumbersome if the tape leaves residue behind.
Old 20-08-10, 20:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twombly Red View Post
Any ideas for DIY diffusers for macro ring flashes?

I can only think of taping diffusing sheet materials but that might be cumbersome if the tape leaves residue behind.
Not knowing your kit, it may be worth you checking this thread to see if it is of interest.
http://www.worldphotographyforum.com...ght=ring+flash

Don
Old 20-08-10, 20:06

Default Close up lenses

One low cost option is close up lenses. Quality of these is a big factor to consider. The ones used here, apart from the 4x, are Hoya from the 1980's so I do not know how they compare with todays offerings. You really get what you pay for with these, and higher quality offerings from 3x often have two elements. To ensure that the 100% views would be a realistic reflection of these particular lenses I use my 55 micro which is sharp across the frame.

The first thing when considering close up lenses is trying to guage the field of view, or subject magnification, for a given dioptre. Tricky if you are just looking at a catalogue or web page. To show that I have done a quick job from 1x to 5x on a crop sensor. To arrive at scale I chose 55mm as the most likely long end of a kit zoom. Focus was near 2ft to represent what may be near the minimum focus of such a lens. Lens focus remained unchanged throughout the set.

The closeups I used here are 52mm, the lens filter size. However if you look at Ros's gallery for anything stating 'diy closeup lens', then for none critical at the edge of frame subjects they are an affordable solution. Ros has a number of her shots printed to A4 hanging on her wall and they look great. In the case of the close up lenses that Ros has, these are of bigger diameter than the lens thread and that may have a positive impact. Ros's gallery here
http://www.worldphotographyforum.com...user=2754&sl=r

Pics attached
Two sets going from 1x to 5x
A composite with 100% unsharpened views from the 2x, 3x, and a stack of the 2x and 3x giving 5x.

Don
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Closeup lens fov 1.jpg (264.6 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg Closeup lens fov 2.jpg (174.9 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Centre and edge.jpg (130.1 KB, 7 views)
Old 20-08-10, 21:15

Thanks Don. I have had my brain in gear since then and have an idea that involves high density foam and some plastic glazing sheets. Will post if it works out okay.
Old 30-08-10, 11:45

This may be of interest. I see Cambridge in Colour has added some articles on macro.

Intro link http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tec...aphy-intro.htm

Macro lenses with calculators for Magnification, Magnification and sensor size, Macro dof calculator, Diffraction limit calculator.
http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tut...cro-lenses.htm

Extension tubes and close up lenses
http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tut...es-closeup.htm

Don
Old 25-11-10, 23:47

Default lens stacking etc.

What a fascinating thread - I think it's worth another Bump

I've played with macro quite a bit over the years and collected loads of different options, (though my shots are not up to the standard of most of those in the thread)

Recently I've mainly been lazy just using either a 100mm Cosina macro, or a stacked 50mm f/1.7 on either the macro of kit lens Lighting being either with the pop up flash diffused by tissue ( or Cigarette papers) or with a TTL flash bounced of a sheet of card. The bounce flash was used in both the macro images I've put in the gallery so far.

The only real experiments I've done recently have been using telescope eyepieces stacked with the kit lens I plan to try them on their own soon - as I've got a helicoid focuser for them rigged up. The stacked eyepieces have had some success (the Knot macro I've posted was using a 40mm eyepiece) The 10mm eyepiece was less successful the image was so dark the only thing I could manage to focus was a lightshade & the eyepiece was bumping into the shade...

Pentax K5ii & Panasonic G5 user (with far too many bits to list)
Member of North Essex Photographic Workshop
Also online with PentaxUser.co.uk, Flickr, MU-43, MFLenses...
Old 26-11-10, 18:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrochemist View Post
The only real experiments I've done recently have been using telescope eyepieces stacked with the kit lens I plan to try them on their own soon - as I've got a helicoid focuser for them rigged up. The stacked eyepieces have had some success (the Knot macro I've posted was using a 40mm eyepiece) The 10mm eyepiece was less successful the image was so dark the only thing I could manage to focus was a lightshade & the eyepiece was bumping into the shade...
I did see the pic in your gallery and am still pondering that one. Maybe I'll give it a go as I have a spotting scope eyepiece.

Currently looking for a new project to work on.

Don
Old 26-11-10, 19:40

Default eyepiece mounting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Hoey View Post
I did see the pic in your gallery and am still pondering that one. Maybe I'll give it a go as I have a spotting scope eyepiece.

Currently looking for a new project to work on.

Don
Well I'm afraid my 'workshops' is much less sophisticated than yours from the little I've seen. So I cheated horribly - I got a T2 helicoid focuser from scopes n skies (in their 'astroboot') for £12, screwed on an T2 holder for 1¼" eyepieces and a T2 to 52mm adapter (possibly with a T" male/male connector?) the intention has always been to mount it directly on the camera, but I've got a massive list of projects to work on & not enough time (all spent on the web???)

I must start using my tripod/macro rail so I can be a bit more scientific about my trials....

Pentax K5ii & Panasonic G5 user (with far too many bits to list)
Member of North Essex Photographic Workshop
Also online with PentaxUser.co.uk, Flickr, MU-43, MFLenses...
Old 26-11-10, 20:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrochemist View Post
................. I've got a massive list of projects to work on & not enough time (all spent on the web???)

I must start using my tripod/macro rail so I can be a bit more scientific about my trials....
Ha,ha.
When you have been through some more of the on 'the cheap threads', ... yep even more time on the web ( so even less work time ), you may have even more projects that are not on your current list.

Don