WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Technique > Macro Photography Technique

Macro Photography Technique Discussions on Macro Photography

Manual macro on the cheap.

Old 18-11-06, 22:10

Alex; Like that hand held idea a lot but apart from blind, you need to be more bold than blind to go for that. My "Arachnophobia" won't let me doing that. But for macro there is no other way easier to focus than having subject hand held, provided the holder is not having Parkinson's either.

These macros are getting more and more interesting. Thanks for sharing the reverse 50mm idea and throwing a headlight in macro section of the forum.

------------------------------

"No one is going to take our democracy away from us. Not now, not ever.
" JOE BIDEN
Old 18-11-06, 22:14
Super Moderator

These are the links to the photos
1.bellows
http://www.worldphotographyforum.com...=500&ppuser=57
2. Very old lens Tessar 2.8 50mm with No 3 tube
3. canon 75-300 with 31mm ext tube.
4. Canon 75-300 with 31mm ext tube
Equipment= Canon 7D, 40D, 400 f5.6, 75-300, 100mm Macro, 18-55, Canon 70-200 f4, Tokina 12-24mm, Kenko pro 300 1.4,1.5 and 2.0x, Jessops ext tube set,
Canon 580 flash. Home made ring flash. . Close-lens.

Old 18-11-06, 22:22

Thumbs up

Christine,

The last one is my favourite. I just screams QUALITY.

Don
Old 18-11-06, 23:31

Christine: I agree with Don the last shot is beautifully done....The wasp shot is excellent as well.....Alex
I know they are soft, I know they are out of focus, I know they lack contrast, I know my sensor needs to be cleaned, I know they are noisey, I know I should crop a little off the left side, I know I should find another hobby, but other than that how do you like them??..
Gear: Yes
Old 18-11-06, 23:44

Hey there Sassan.. I only have guts with spiders that are reeeeeally small.. I am happy that I contributed a spark to the macro section because it is obvious there is considerable talent here. I hope the macro gear hasn't been sitting collecting dust . What a great bunch of folks you all are.... I am happy to be here.... I have been a bit under the weather the last few days and so I am sorry I have dropped my participation level.... I am excited to take part in the fun..... I am just starting to come out of the haze now and I will get some of my macro images resized for posting.... I have taken a few over the last couple of days..... I love the fact that Don has shown what the direct reversed lens will do with the right set up and settings and I am looking forward to working more with mine....Anyway Thanks.... I appreciate being welcome.....Alex
I know they are soft, I know they are out of focus, I know they lack contrast, I know my sensor needs to be cleaned, I know they are noisey, I know I should crop a little off the left side, I know I should find another hobby, but other than that how do you like them??..
Gear: Yes
Old 03-05-07, 12:03
Super Moderator

Yesterday I had the opportunity to try out a true Macro lens a sigma 105mm, I was very impressed with the build and ease of use. Today I took some photos of the same flower with my cheap alternative the Canon 75-300 with the 13mm and 31mm ext tubes. It is a little harder to focus than the true macro but I am quite impressed with the results although there is a lot less DOF. There has been no sharpening done on either of the photos its as they came out of the camera, cropped and saved.

Left photo. Sigma at F8 1/60s
Right photo. Canon 75-300 13mm+31mm F7.1 1/125s
Attached Images
File Type: jpg plant020507a.jpg (152.0 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg plant3113mm020407-010a.jpg (171.0 KB, 15 views)
Equipment= Canon 7D, 40D, 400 f5.6, 75-300, 100mm Macro, 18-55, Canon 70-200 f4, Tokina 12-24mm, Kenko pro 300 1.4,1.5 and 2.0x, Jessops ext tube set,

Old 03-05-07, 13:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Hoey View Post
I have been looking for adaptors to reverse a lens, and e-bay is probably the cheapest option by significant margin for Canon mount. I do not know why, as this price disparity is not so evident for Nikon mount. As you have a mount from your bellows it may be possible to do an electrical tape job to that. Perhaps you could post a pic of your adaptor.

Don
I have only just found this thread and I am impressed by your squidgy insect shots. I can't say that I like Aphids given the damage they cause plants. I had some nice Capsicum baccatum destroyed by the devils. But I digress.

Regarding a reversing adaptor, it depends what you want to do.

If the idea is to reverse one lens, so that the filter end mounts onto the camera, I know that Nikon make one. It is a BR2 if my memory serves me well. Also Jessops (eeek, the seven letter word) sell them, as I bought one and it works. I am sure the Nikon one can be bought new and cheap from FleaBay. Also Speed Graphic are very good for hard to find odds and sods. I think you have a lathe, and you could make one from a body cap, drilled out, and glued to a step up ring.

You might also have meant mounting a reversed lens in front of another lens. I tried that by taking two step up rings, and gluing them together. That is somewhat of a bodge, but it works. I am not sure if it matters if the optical axes are not perfectly aligned.
Old 04-05-07, 10:46
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saphire View Post
Yesterday I had the opportunity to try out a true Macro lens a sigma 105mm, I was very impressed with the build and ease of use. Today I took some photos of the same flower with my cheap alternative the Canon 75-300 with the 13mm and 31mm ext tubes. It is a little harder to focus than the true macro but I am quite impressed with the results although there is a lot less DOF. There has been no sharpening done on either of the photos its as they came out of the camera, cropped and saved.

Left photo. Sigma at F8 1/60s
Right photo. Canon 75-300 13mm+31mm F7.1 1/125s
I like the second one better - the lighting on the first is very flat - was flash used? Also I'm not convinced that there is much difference in the DoF and in fact assuming that they were taken at the same magnification/size in the viewfinder this article on DoF confirms that DoF is independent of focal length and is just a function of focusing distance and aperture.

I'd be interested to know how close that extension tube set up enables you to get compared to the ture macro lens - can you post the full frames of both for comparison?
Old 06-05-07, 21:43
Super Moderator

Gidders here are the full frame photos as requested, unfortunately I can't remember how far away I was with the 105mm, the Canon with converters I was about 6 inches.. I didn't use flash for either, being so close I had to make sure my body wasn't shading the flower, I did take them at the same time of day so the lighting was the same with no clouds about.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg plant020507.jpg (161.7 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg plant3113mm020407-010.jpg (153.5 KB, 6 views)

Old 08-05-07, 10:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leif View Post
You might also have meant mounting a reversed lens in front of another lens. I tried that by taking two step up rings, and gluing them together. That is somewhat of a bodge, but it works. I am not sure if it matters if the optical axes are not perfectly aligned.
Too late for this now Leif as the 80-200 has gone - swapped for the 400. I have though, machined an adaptor to easily use the 50mm enlarging lens on bellows and / or tubes. Just got to make a thin lens hood to fit. That will be easy as I got an old 40.5mm filter for a £1 to provide the threaded section.

Don