WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Technique > Macro Photography Technique

Macro Photography Technique Discussions on Macro Photography

Making Scaled models look real

Old 17-01-14, 16:30

Default Making Scaled models look real

Hi Everyone

Would anyone know where to start by getting scaled models to look as real as possible in the real world, without using photoshop special effects

Many thanks

Steve
Old 17-01-14, 16:34

you will find a sample to show what I mean in my gallery - thanks
Old 20-01-14, 23:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevednp3 View Post
Hi Everyone

Would anyone know where to start by getting scaled models to look as real as possible in the real world, without using photoshop special effects

Many thanks

Steve
I suspect the major part of it is getting sufficient depth of field. DOF in macro tends to be VERY shallow, whilst in the normal world it's usually going to cover your whole scene reasonably well, the background can be a little out of focus but not hugely so.
If the models are large enough it's possible to keep far enough back that aperture can give enough DOF but I wouldn't expect it to be easy.

Careful use of tilted lenses can change the plane of focus and effectively boost your DOF (read up on the Scheimpflug principle - Cambridge in colour cover it fairly well IIRC). Tilt techniques are often used these days for making false minatures, but this wasn't their original use and they can be used to increase DOF. Unfortunately tilt lenses aren't cheap and this option won't be easy either.

Software options such as focus stacking & simple cloning between pictures will be easier, but probably all come under the umbrella of Photoshop effects.

If you do a good job with photographing it, people may assume it's just photoshopped

Pentax K5ii & Panasonic G5 user (with far too many bits to list)
Member of North Essex Photographic Workshop
Also online with PentaxUser.co.uk, Flickr, MU-43, MFLenses...
Old 23-01-14, 15:14

thanks for getting back to me, I managed to speak to the original photographer and although he wont tell me how he does these, he did admit that they are heavily Photoshopped. So thats fine with me, least I know and now I need to find a detailed scale model and thats my mission this weekend ha ha :-)