WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Cameras

Cameras Discussion on Cameras of all types

Newbies first D-SLR

Old 04-09-06, 13:53

Good choices, Affirmation. Lots of people say dreadful things about your 18-55mm lens. Don't believe them. It's a perfectly capable little lens and costs you practically nothing, so it's a great one to start with. It's at its best stopped down a little and in the middle of the zoom range (like most lenses) and not very fast, but don't worry about that for now. Later on you can start exploring other options. Some lenses you might consider are:

50mm f/1.8 Already mentioned in this thread, very cheap and by all accounts very capable too.
60mm macro. A little pricey but a wonderful lens, not just for macros, but for general use too. At f/2.8 it's fairly fast and I like it a lot for portrait-length and low-light work.
10-22. Quite expensive, but a true wide angle lens is, quite simply, a joy to use. Outside of my big telephotos for bird photography, this is my most-used lens. If you start to find the 18mm end of the 18-55 restrictive, and you get tired of its tendency to make flat horizons curved at the wide end, the 10-22 will cure you. Probably get you divorced though!

After you have dealt with all that, you might want to look at replacing your 18-55 with something more capable. No hurry for that - it's a great lens to learn on and I'm talking years down the track. Lots to choose from, pros and cons to all of them. A subject for another thread!
Old 04-09-06, 20:01

thanks for that Tannin - it should be arriving tomorrow cant wait - the tripod arrived today - almost intimidating - its that solid!! lol