WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Technique > General Photography Technique

General Photography Technique Discussion on General Photography Technique

Photographing the Stars

Old 29-11-06, 14:36

Hi Don..... In response to Stevie (your wonderful wife)....Ooops . How does that saying go??? When you assume, You make an ass out of you and me...
Ummm ...Well at least out of me.... Don... Minimalism is born and rasied by the brilliant........My best to you and Stevie.....That would be your wife .
Got it.....Take care....Alex
I know they are soft, I know they are out of focus, I know they lack contrast, I know my sensor needs to be cleaned, I know they are noisey, I know I should crop a little off the left side, I know I should find another hobby, but other than that how do you like them??..
Gear: Yes
Old 29-11-06, 15:13

Wow Alex - you certainly have some impressive gear there. You have not only answered my question but a few follow up questions besides.

I am beginning to get that feeling in my pocket that a short tube refractor would be highly desirable. Perhaps fortunately the pocket is empty at present. Just as well really as I have so much to learn and try out with telephoto lenses.

Dave
Old 29-11-06, 15:49

Dave: With your results using good camera lens glass, I think you are demonstrating what can be done without the need for all the extra crap.... I am going to have a go with what you and Don are working with.... If it is clear tonight, Orion is in a great spot for me mid evening and so I think I will be out there with the 100-400 for a go.... Both you and Don have my respect for what you are showing and I have always been a believer of less is more when it is what you need to get it done properly..... The rest are just additional toys......Thanks to both of you.....BTW thanks for the planet info..... I got Venus, Mars and Saturn last year when they were close together in the western sky.... Of course Venus was so bright it dominated the group, but it was fun to see all three in the eyepiece.... I will be watching the upcoming grouping......Take care...Alex
I know they are soft, I know they are out of focus, I know they lack contrast, I know my sensor needs to be cleaned, I know they are noisey, I know I should crop a little off the left side, I know I should find another hobby, but other than that how do you like them??..
Old 30-11-06, 04:43

Hi guys... Well I took my CG5 mount out side and had it aligned..... I took a scope mount plate and rigged it to the tripod mount of my 100-400... I really want to see what the lens will do with M42 with guided timed exposures.....Well it got dark enough to get ready for M42 to come into view and of course the clouds just rolled in and so trying tonight isn't an option.....It was beautiful all day.... Not a cloud in sight..... So I am bust tonight but I will go again tomorrow if conditions are right..... You guys have me absolutely fired up again and the shoulder is starting to feel better so I will post the results as soon as I can get some ..... Take care.....Alex
Old 30-11-06, 11:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Paul View Post
.....Well it got dark enough to get ready for M42 to come into view and of course the clouds just rolled in and so trying tonight isn't an option.....It was beautiful all day.... Not a cloud in sight.....
Alex,

I do not know how many times this has happened to me while going for moon shots. Lost count a long time ago.

Don
Old 30-11-06, 13:51

It's almost inevitable this will happen. The next week or so there are likely to be many clear nights but of course the Moon will be in the way.

Dave
Old 01-12-06, 13:17

Thanks for the support guys.... Yep it happened again last night as well with moon and wind so will see again tonight.... I am fortuante that I don't have to go far to set up so I am ready, willing and able when it is right..... Thanks guys.....Alex