WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Technique > General Photography Technique

General Photography Technique Discussion on General Photography Technique

Composer or Cropper?

Old 01-11-10, 20:00

I go along with Clive on this one. If the subject suits the full frame then fine, but otherwise I will happily crop. I remember a long discussion I had with Foxy and his crop to fixed aspect ratio's if he had to. Hours later and both sides of the argument remained valid so I think its down to personal style/preference.

I guess Jim and I would have the same argument as he is a non cropper and I respect that, but then I got one over on him by lending him a 6x6, so now he is having to learn to compose square with that, and rectangular with the D200 on the same shoot.
He is lucky I did not have a 6x4.5, 6x7, 6x8 and 6x9 to lend him as well or he really would have been in trouble.

Don
Old 23-12-10, 10:47

I generally try to compose in camera as much as possible, but I'm not adverse to cropping to improve the image afterwards (sometimes even going a bit far for my 6MP camera, to remove distractions etc.)

With action shots I've frequently found I don't leave enough cropping room, & get photos with the edges of the main subject just out of view, ruining the shot. Hopefully I'll learn to leave a bit more for subsequent cropping.

I generally prefer to keep the aspect ratio, it was chosen as a pleasing ratio to the eye after all, but I've had several images where this didn't work at all & I've changed the ratio drastically, going to 3:1 or more.

I sometimes think that every rule in photography needs to be broken for one image or another - The only exception being 'if you like it, it's good'.

Pentax K5ii & Panasonic G5 user (with far too many bits to list)
Member of North Essex Photographic Workshop
Also online with PentaxUser.co.uk, Flickr, MU-43, MFLenses...
Old 23-12-10, 13:41

For me the picture the camera produces is only an intermediate state. The final image is made with the computer. Although I try to get the compo correct in the viewfinder, I will make the final judgement on the big screen.
And being from the analogue era, I do not believe in fixed dimensions for my photos.
Old 11-01-11, 19:26

I crop quite a lot. I always try to get the shot in the camera but invariably find that when I get it on screen cropping can improve my original image.

http://www.pbase.com/andy153

http://andy153.smugmug.com/

Equipment: Nikon - More than enough !!!
Old 13-01-11, 19:52

I think I'm in agreement with most on this subject; I compose as best I can while taking the shot, but sometimes a crop can make a shot "better", e.g. in creating a different perspective that you may not have picked-up on at the time. I most definitely do not deliberately just snap away at things with the comforting thought that I can crop extraneous details later. To me, framing a shot is a sizeable percentage of the whole.
Old 29-01-11, 13:07

Haha Don! You are SO right! I 99.9 percent of the time will never want to crop... all in frame.. if ever just a few mm from an edge to clean a line up. Using the Yashica is indeed a challenge but a joy! Thank you.

Hopefully, I think what helped me was 7 years at art school studying painting... much composition elements within that as you're faced with a blank space and have to fill it every time and the lessons and concepts I learned there for sure influenced my decisions when I look through the viewfinder
Old 01-04-11, 19:27

Default Fibonacci Measured Grid

I took the measurements from this web site
http://goldennumber.net/index.htm
and measured out my MAJOR LINES for my GRID - BASED on my PERIMETER LINES - on a sheet of GRAPH PAPER. That GRAPH PAPER I tooK to a PHOTO COPY SHOP and had THE GRID put on a sheet of CLEAR PLASTIC for OVERHEAD PROJECTERS. Here is the paper copy at 6 X 4 inches they gave me - when they did my PLASTIC SHEET - as a reference. I have to adjust my scanner to keep from losing lines from the GRAPH PAPER.

This GRID has helped me greatly with my compositions. When I do my composition - overlay the GRID on any image - move it to place a cross point on any point of interest. Note where you put it - and put the cross point on your image in the same approx place - moving the crop outline until it fits the outer outline of the GRID. When that is done, move the GRID a bit on an angle and you can check how ALL DIAGONAL LINES go to their VANISHING POINTS.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GOLDEN MEAN GRID.jpg (180.9 KB, 6 views)

I love the Old Masters for incentive and compositional ideas.

Last edited by nldunne; 01-04-11 at 19:29.
Old 30-11-12, 19:37

Default cropping

I find that a combination of both is necessary in the majority of cases.
Composing in the viewfinder I use the zoom and look at the left and right edges to find a position that includes the things that I want to appear in my final print but excludes as much unnecessary stuff as possible. I now look to see if there is unwanted stuff near the top or bottom edge.
If there is, I shoot and crop the unwanted stuff later in Photoshop.
If there isn't, I zoom out a bit to see if it reveals anything else that I want to include until I reveal unwanted material, then back in a bit to get rid of the surplus. This now includes unwanted stuff in the horizontal plane, but I shoot and crop it out later.
The important thing is that I get what I want but finish with as little waste as possible because I only have to crop in one direction.